smoke issue on x2

ok so heres a rundown of my 94 x2... it has a coffmans pipe & headpipe with an 86 waterbox, stock 38mm carb, & solas impeller. i have the oil blockoff and run 32:1 maxima premium 2 with 93 only. tested the compression and have an equal 155 in both cylinders.
now heres the issue... when i first start the ski i get smoke coming back out the carb somewhere and i cant pinpoint where exactly it comes out from. the smoke reduces after it runs for a little while but it has made exhaust particles build up around the entire engine compartment recently.
Could this be my reeds?
Also, not sure if this is a related issue, but sometimes (increasing in frequency lately) when i start the ski back up in the water, it will bog down off the start and the only way i can get it back up on plane is to hold the throttle just over idle for a little while (10 - 20 seconds) and then it will let me accelerate normally.
If anyone can point me in the right direction i would greatly appreciate it.

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
What you are seeing is blowback ,reversion or what some people call standoff,it is caused by the reeds not sealing properly,pull the intake and reeds off and inspect them closely.

Flyinbysti

Rad Dudes
I had that same type issue but with my stock pipe. I just recently found that the stock pipe had a crack in it.

Are all the couplers tight? is the gasket leaking at all? any cracks in the pipe? I would double check everything.

shawn_NJ

Chasing waves.
ok thanks. i will try and do that tonight or tomorrow night after work. do you think that is what is causing my bogging issue?

Yes, bad reeds will cause the bogging you are seeing. Had the exact same problem 2 years ago with smoke blowback and bogggggg on starts.

rear2.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom