So I have a question about a hull.

So I am curious and just wanted to know. If anyone knows or if someone has built one. But how many layers of what weight carbon fiber do they use in the lower deck of a average aftermarket hull. Let's say a carbon EME Q8. I'm just wondering how much it takes to make the bottom deck strong enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If someone can give us the approximate thickness of their aftermarket hull from say experience drilling through-hull holes it would be easy to figure out an equivalent layup. If no one wants to chime in then I'd suggest digging through build threads and look for images depicting mounting holes or anywhere someone has cut into their hull. You'd be able to get a rough estimate of the thickness from that and come back here and post what you found.

So I am curious and just wanted to know. If anyone knows or if someone has built one. But how many layers of what weight carbon fiber do they use in the lower deck of a average aftermarket hull. Let's say a carbon EME Q8. I'm just wondering how much it takes to make the bottom deck strong enough.

5 layers of 19 oz 12k carbon will be more than enough for a bottom deck. just as long as you never run the strands in the same direction as any of the other layers. I'm assuming this will be a vacuum bagged epoxy layup?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

5 layers of 19 oz 12k carbon will be more than enough for a bottom deck. just as long as you never run the strands in the same direction as any of the other layers. I'm assuming this will be a vacuum bagged epoxy layup?

Yes I would. Here is my reasoning for the question. I'm building a 750 sxi pro. But I'm making a freestyle hull. Well I was searching to see if anyone has ever backflip these hulls. And everywhere I look says. Though the pros and the sxi and sx handle good they are just to heavy to back flip without a huge wave. Now I'm not trying to flat water backflip but was thinking that if I made a new bottom deck out if carbon fiber and made it a tad shorter that maybe I could maybe do a decent backflip off a decent size boat wake. But I was curious as to how much it would take to make it strong enough to handle that.

Wow that's the same layup I used for my sponsons and I wouldn't have thought it would have been suitable for a hull. Cool to know I'll have to try it out.

Yamasaki, in case you need a starting point in figuring the numbers, the width of your fabric will be the width of the hull plus 2xheight of bottom deck plus 2xrail width. Then obviously the length will be the length from bond rail to bond rail. The actual carbon used will vary somewhat in the dimensions due to the contour but this is will give you an adequate figure for infusion or vac bag layup.

Wow that's the same layup I used for my sponsons and I wouldn't have thought it would have been suitable for a hull. Cool to know I'll have to try it out.

Yamasaki, in case you need a starting point in figuring the numbers, the width of your fabric will be the width of the hull plus 2xheight of bottom deck plus 2xrail width. Then obviously the length will be the length from bond rail to bond rail. The actual carbon used will vary somewhat in the dimensions due to the contour but this is will give you an adequate figure for infusion or vac bag layup.

This is helpful. Dalton how much do you have in your bottom deck? A rough estimate with the glass, resin, bagging stuff. And would you say your hull could handle backflips and rolls?

How much as in money wise? I'd give a rough estimate of about $250 on the high side. Probably more like $200-230. It's hard to say exactly since I bought enough of all the materials to make several hulls so the cost to make one would be a bit higher. That's not including the molding materials and the vacuum system though.

Yeah I'd say my hull can handle backflips and rolls. It's very solid and I know the layup is comparable to many other flatwater glass layups. Breaking it on flatwater would be a challenge I don't think I could personally accomplish.

If Brian wants to weigh in, I'm sure he would know much better than I. I've only made one ski after all.

I'm just trying to put together a rough idea of how much it would take. I think it would be pretty cool to have people ask where you got your hull an be able to tell them you built it. But I would be upset to put that much time and money only to have it bust in half after the first serious trick. But the more I read your build and as much as I know so far with working with carbon fiber on my pro I kinda want to try it.

3a5ehyqa.jpg
mabutu8u.jpg
8ujejaqe.jpg
ma8e9a2y.jpg
cause this is what I've been working on for a bit now. I know it's not the same as the infusion but I have the feel for the carbon fiber and my resin. Btw this is 11oz 6k 2x2 twill carbon.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
This is helpful. Dalton how much do you have in your bottom deck? A rough estimate with the glass, resin, bagging stuff. And would you say your hull could handle backflips and rolls?

It's easy to estimate the materials costs. Fabric is measured by the yard, hulls are 7ft long, consider it shorter but not flat, so it would probably take 2 yards per layer, times 5 layers, times $30 per yard is $300 in carbon, but probably more. Gelcoat is probably $50, resin is about $50 / galling not sure how much you need.

Then you need peel ply, plastic, 2 sided tape, hoses and tubs for the infusion process. I'm sure $800-1000 is easy to spend in material alone, assuming no mistakes. Also need hull fittings, etc. of, don't forget that gelcoat gun $150 and all the vacuum infusion stuff.

Glass would be significantly cheaper.

If you are building a hull because it interests you, then go for it. If you are building a hull because it seems cheaper, you might find yourself to have a lesser quality product for more money than if you had just bought a bob, superfreak, etc.

Yes it was. I tried to get it flat to pore a layer on then sanded the crap out of it and buffed with rubbing compound.

Holy crap now there's some work! One thing you should probably take into consideration if you haven't already is that making a mold the size of a jetski hull would be really really hard to accomplish and have come out well if you haven't done quite a few molds before hand. The infusion process is similar in that it would be extremely hard to accomplish first try. I didn't try infusing the hull until I had tried it on two different smaller molds and even then it took two tries to get it right with the hull.

I guess what I'm getting at is you probably should factor in the cost of the materials for all the practice runs you'll need. Otherwise you can try going for gold first shot but 98% chance you'll have to start over more than once at least from my experience.

Hope I don't come off as discouraging since I think its awesome that you are considering doing this and its obvious you already have some composite experience and the drive.

No not at all. I've read through your build. And it's good to get info from someone that has done it before. And plan on doing a couple trial runs cause I still need to make a chin pad and some other stuff for my pro build.

Cool chinpads and rideplates are great places to start. Make sure to make a flange of 3-5 inches around all your molds so you can practice infusions on them even. I didn't do that with my last chinpad mold and regretted it.

Cool chinpads and rideplates are great places to start. Make sure to make a flange of 3-5 inches around all your molds so you can practice infusions on them even. I didn't do that with my last chinpad mold and regretted it.
Cool thanks. Any particular vacuum you recommend?

I'm just trying to put together a rough idea of how much it would take. I think it would be pretty cool to have people ask where you got your hull an be able to tell them you built it. But I would be upset to put that much time and money only to have it bust in half after the first serious trick. But the more I read your build and as much as I know so far with working with carbon fiber on my pro I kinda want to try it.

you would first have the expense of building a mold. start small and get practice.

So where y'all getting all the supplies? Like the infusion resin and bags and the bage tape?

Top Bottom