Custom/Hybrid Spark plug gap?

Is there a formula or a chart or something to go by, when it comes to after market motor and the spark plug gap? Already called NGK and they got nothing to go by...:question:

Paul Lehr suggested BPR 8ES on my Dasa Kawasaki 970 I have tried the Iridium ones BPR 8EIX. The iridium plugs did better with 100LL as far as fouling but there was no performance gain. The P means the electrode is extended to reach further into the cyl I assume it put the spark closer to the center of the charge to create a better flame front. The actual gap on the plug is .30. The plug gap correlates to the amount of power the COIL puts out. I would say since most of us use a stock coil then .30 is a good GAP. Compression also effects PLUG GAP the more compression the harder it is for the electricity to jump the gap... so I would guess a motor with 230 psi might need less GAP to make things easier on the COIL then the stock 155-175psi KAWI that uses BR8ES plugs gapped at .30. BUT in all honesty I think stock plugs work fine on my Motor.

Kawi Dasa 970
190psi

Last edited:
Thanks for the post, finaly some good info. I think it comes down to asking your builder, he should know the best. For now I'm experimenting with it. I'm starting with .028, so far so good.

Top Bottom