Other Stand Up Newbie Needs Help

I’m looking to purchase a stand up Jet Ski but don’t know much about them. Want something I can learn on but has the power to rip around and play. Lots of experience on seadoo’s and race sleds but looking for a new toy this year.
What do people recommend when getting started and what to look for when buying used? Brand, Year, Size? Don’t want to spend to much time wrenching and also want something that’s got the pwr to play.
Any help is appreciated. Im 200lb and will be used in freshwater on Lake Superior, Canada.

I think will most will agree...get the most pimped out 96+ Superjet you can afford (pipe, prop, steering, bla bla bla..)

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Depends on your budget and what you want to do. Any boat makes a good rec boat, so pick the activity you are more likely going to do (run buoys or free ride). You can have just as much fun putting around on a SJ or a SXR, so if you don't care race/freeride, just go for the better deal.

Everyone on this forum is going to tell you to get a SJ. I have a SJ, but a SXR would probably be better for my riding. You need to decide for yourself what you want to do. Buy the best condition boat you can afford. Not necessarily the most powerful, the best condition. The most important thing of any ski that you buy is that you can ride it w/o it breaking.

Regular budget
Race - Kawi SXR (or 08+ SJ but SXR is better to race)
Freeride - 96+ SJ

Lower budget
Race - Kawi 750 SX/SXI/SXI pro
Free ride - 95- SJ
Sport - WaveBlaster

Super low budget (it's better to just save money and get something in better condition/newer/less likely to break)
650sx, rougher SJ or blaster

If money is no object...
Race - Hydrospace, SXR 1100, Bullett
Free ride - SJ with big power, Rickter, BOB, Trinity, EME, Xscream, Superfreak, and so forth (sorry I left some out)
Sport - Gen2 X2

Stay away from the Gen1 X2 unless you want a project to work on and don't plan to ever ride.

Wakerider26

Peter Waldron -doing jetski tricks
^ All great answers. Best bang for buck would be 96+ Superjet with Pipe, Footholds, and Steering. You should be able to find a nice one for $4,000. If you don't buy one with those three mods, you will end up having to put them on anyway.

Thanks for the info Vumad and others. Big Help!! It would be just to free ride. I'm thinking 2004 ish SJ. Other than condition is there any way to tell hrs? Are these things pretty tough/reliable or are there some lemons on the market? What do you look for when buying used? Thank again!

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Thanks for the info Vumad and others. Big Help!! It would be just to free ride. I'm thinking 2004 ish SJ. Other than condition is there any way to tell hrs? Are these things pretty tough/reliable or are there some lemons on the market? What do you look for when buying used? Thank again!

No way to see the hours. They don't come with anything. You should check the compression. 150psi is stock.

You need to look the boat over for corrosion. Any salt boat is going to have some but not excessive. If it's a salt boat, look for a flush fitting, if it's been in salt w/o flush fitting ask how the motor was cleaned. look at the pump for gaps b/t prop and wear ring. Make sure it starts easy. Ride it and make sure it runs right. Judge the seller, if they act sketchy, walk away. I have refused to buy stuff that was mostly nice but a little rough around the edges cuz the seller was a jerk. That minor problem is more likely to be a big one if the seller is a jerk and is willing to hide something to screw you.
Check the compression. No less than 140psi and no more than 5psi difference per hole. My 2004 wasn't used much and has 150/150 on original motor.

not an expert by any means, 96sj is an awsome boat and forsure a tride and true ride, i have rode plenty of skis in my day from the old 440's to brand new race boats(im just not good at setting them up) i would give my vote to a polaris octane, they are fast out of the box, budget friendly and easy to ride, no mods needed for a beginner rider. not to sure on maint but my neighbor had one, never touched it once and it was a monster on the lake every summer, never even jetted it for alltitude and still it ran great. they might be hard to find but i know they are out there.

Last edited:
The best would be, if you could go to tha lake with someone and test ride a couple....look for someone on here from your area and invite yourself to go with them next time they hit the water.

Top Bottom