FX-1 Started my 650 pump swap

Yep. Got it started today. Removed the pump and pump shoe, did some of the grinding on the 650 pump, and even some of the grinding/reshaping done on the hull.

Tomorrow I'll get the pump mounting surface level. More grinding and some glassing.

Still need to order new bearings, send the bearing housing out for machining, order the zxi shaft (hopefully e-bay tonight, I lagged this week), and send my skat 16 degree off to Impros for repitching. Probably will get a bunch done and then be sitting on it for a week or so while I get the rest of the parts together. I can't ride for around a month anyways, hopefully I have it good to go when I get the OK to ride.

If you have all the parts already and have a little confidence I'm sure this mod can be done in 2-3 days.

Last edited:
Hey Jinx check other posts in this section. There are bearing and seal numbers that will fit the yami bearing housing and kawi shaft. It will eliminate the need to send housings/supports out for machining. If you can't find them I can get them for you Monday.

Thanks much, I discovered SteveUK's build last night and already figured out the bearing and seal dimensions. Should be able to get them at local bearing supply co on Monday ;saving me time and money. Just not sure if it was 1 or 2 bearings (I think 20x52x15[bearing] 20x52x7 [seals], have it written down in the garage). Have a local rider that can press them in for me, so no worries there, just have to wait for a shaft next week and everything should be good. I'll be doing some other minor repairs to the bottom, minor truing, and painting so will take me a little longer once the pump is all set up.

Good news is I can probably put the money saved towards Cold Fusion billet couplers and dampener.

So anybody know if it was 1 or 2 bearings of that dimension?

Last edited:

LIVE2RIDE Powersports

Live & Die 2 Ride
Yep. Got it started today. Removed the pump and pump shoe, did some of the grinding on the 650 pump, and even some of the grinding/reshaping done on the hull.

Tomorrow I'll get the pump mounting surface level. More grinding and some glassing.

Still need to order new bearings, send the bearing housing out for machining, order the zxi shaft (hopefully e-bay tonight, I lagged this week), and send my skat 16 degree off to Impros for repitching. Probably will get a bunch done and then be sitting on it for a week or so while I get the rest of the parts together. I can't ride for around a month anyways, hopefully I have it good to go when I get the OK to ride.

If you have all the parts already and have a little confidence I'm sure this mod can be done in 2-3 days.

u need a 900 shaft still? My friend has one for sale. Pm me if u need one.

When you go to your bearing supplier ask if the seal size in available with a stainless steel garter spring so it won't rust. I have a seal number in chicago rawhide with stainless spring but it's at work. I will post it monday night after work.

like this? http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/20mm/6304-2RS-1

I never measured for the correct (direct fit) size. The Yamaha housing might need a re-located snap ring groove cut to locate that setup. ???

I didn't see anything in Steve's build about having to have a new ring groove cut. I thought it was "plug and play" with the bearings the right size. Anybody know the answer.

Thanks for the offer on the shaft, already found a good clean freshwater one with the coupler removed. Will be ordered and shipped Monday when he's in the office.

Last edited:

LIVE2RIDE Powersports

Live & Die 2 Ride
I didn't see anything in Steve's build about having to have a new ring groove cut. I thought it was "plug and play" with the bearings the right size. Anybody know the answer.

Thanks for the offer on the shaft, already found a good clean freshwater one with the coupler removed. Will be ordered and shipped Monday when he's in the office.

PM special fx. He knows

I think I bugged him enough and annoyed him a little. Was getting a little excited to finally start this and was originally trying to get it done by the time I can ride again. Basically want to test the mod out and then put the ski down again for some other stuff I have planned, but want the pump swap complete and running good.

I got a chance today to exchange some messages with Steve. He helped a lot, answered the few questions I had and threw in some tips as well.

Today I glassed the factory insert holes most of the way. Tomorrow I'll finish those and get some glassing done on the pump mounting area. Should be picking up bearings as well tomorrow. Then it's just waiting for the shaft so I can finish the pump fitment. I'll get some pics up in the next few days. I'm going to be running my 16 straight skat for trial as I plan on picking up a Skat C-75 swirl 8/16 while I am doing everything else this winter.

Hopefully no more unexpected (or more expensive than planned) bills come up and I can get some of the Cold Fusion couplers to round this out. I want to get it together and put some hours on this before I put the ski down in Dec to finish the engine bay, freshen the motor, and top half paint/turf.

LIVE2RIDE Powersports

Live & Die 2 Ride
My skat 16 feels insane. Pulls, pulls, and pulls some more. I was going to buy a swirl but i have a skat 15 im going to try, if i dont like that im getn a cutback sxr prop.

Okay, so I got the glassing all done in the pump mounting area. Really close to getting the mounting spots perfect, will need a little more work (sanding), but my shaft won't be here until Thur/Fri. Picked up the bearing and seals today as well. Just need that shaft to finish the alignment and then I can clean the pump shoe area up. Need to also figure out how I am gonna run/hook up the bilge and water lines, suggestions/pictures of other setups would help.

Question for those with the 650 pump and X2 nozzles, what are you doing to the trim nozzle to keep it straight if not using trim?

Teaser pic...

Attachments

• DSC04101.jpg
    DSC04101.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
Looks good! You might have the pump just a tiny bit too far forward if you're using that Pro-tek scoop as a reference. The Pro-tek should have to have the rear mounting hole elongated a bit to allow it to bolt up when the pump is in the correct location. You want the straight rear edge of the pump shoe to be flush/even with the edge of the pump cavity.

Here's a pic of my trim setup. It's works great, is very effective, and pretty damn simple. The more you crank the nozzle up, the looser the ski feels...kinda like adding a d-cut plate. With the adjustment knob, you can dial it in any wear you want...anywhere from nose down stable to nose high loose and playful!

It's just a thick stainless washer welded to a stub of 8mm bolt thread that threads into the extra open threads of the ride plate mount (bronze block)....stare at it, it will make sense.

I also inlcuded some overall pics for water line routing info, etc. I plug the stock Kawi pump cooling feed and drill/tap one on the other side of the pump. You can get it so close to stock FX location that it even uses the stock cooling hose without cutting!

I've never tried the 20x52 bearings/seals, it looks like a great way to go and it was what I had originally planned to do when I first did this mod. I wasn't able to find suitable seals when I first drafted this mod and so I simply mod'd the housing to use the Kawi bearings/seals.

The only concern/caution I would add when using the 20x52 bearings/seals is to ensure that the front seal(s) are positioned such that they ride on the polished/hardened area of the shaft. The front seal rides very close to the edge of the seal area of the shaft with my mod and it seems to be even further forward when running the 20x52x7mm seals.

Looks good! I'm sure you'll be pleased with the improvement.

Attachments

• DSCN0237.jpg
    DSCN0237.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 174
  • DSCN0238.jpg
    DSCN0238.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 226
  • DSCN0239.jpg
    DSCN0239.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 124
  • DSCN0234.jpg
    DSCN0234.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
Thanks JD. Exactly what I was looking for. Where the pump is sitting right now the bolt on the protec grate is off. It will need to elongated like you mentioned, but that's going to be last after I get everything aligned.

Got my bearings and seals pressed in yesterday, a few beers and it's all good.

Then today a present came in the mail...now all I need is to figure out the removal of the stock coupler from the mid shaft, put in on the new shaft, and finish the fitting and glass work. I did a quick test fit and length is good, just need to mount the housing to get everything correct.

Quick question, it looks like there is a washer on the kawi drive shaft where the coupler mounts. Is that left on or do I take it off? In JD's build it looks like it was left on.

Attachments

• DSC04104.jpg
    DSC04104.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC04105.jpg
    DSC04105.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC04103.jpg
    DSC04103.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC04108.jpg
    DSC04108.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Got my bearings and seals pressed in yesterday, a few beers and it's all good.

Then today a present came in the mail...now all I need is to figure out the removal of the stock coupler from the mid shaft, put in on the new shaft, and finish the fitting and glass work. I did a quick test fit and length is good, just need to mount the housing to get everything correct.

Quick question, it looks like there is a washer on the kawi drive shaft where the coupler mounts. Is that left on or do I take it off? In JD's build it looks like it was left on.

Leave it, I did. I think I asked JD the same thing and he said to use it.

Top Bottom