Starter rebuild Kits???

i just take mine apart and service it, i have a couple spare old starters i rape little parts and brushes off of too to help keep it alive.

Oh, okay. So you have never replaced the end cap bearing, or the bottom bushing? Mine has a little play in it. It's probably okay, but i'd like to replace it.??

D-Roc

I forgot!
mine was shrillin like a villian when i used it for the first time this season, and it was cranking over very slowly, i took it apart and cleaned and oiled the bearings etc etc. i have reassembled one as a backup that i made from a few parts starters. i don't see why you couldn't order new bearings from yamaha and stick them in
96SJ700AUB9.gif

meatball

User Title Unavailable
JSS has everything for about $120, including brushplate which includes the four brushes/the positive connect stud and plastic hardware, the back bushing, front needle bearing and dust seal, the two case seals, front o-ring seal, I think thats it. The needle bearing is somewhat pressed into the front case, so you need to find the right sized drift to tap it out, blowtorch helps too.

So the only parts you reuse are the case magnets, and commutater (the center shaft) and the front and back case halve and screws of course, and still using the stock shimming.

I'm two seasons on a rebuilt one, gasket sealer all over the case seals, then painted with black rustoleum on top. Make sure you touch up the commutater with some sandpaper, using vertical strokes, just to assure a good surface contact. Next one I do, I'm using JB Weld on the case seals instead of gaskets and sealer (gaskets are $14 bucks a piece by the way), the brush plates have a long enough life-span that I'm not going to care, as the commutater would probably be out of tolerance by then.

I'm not pushing mine in salt water with no maitenance (brackish), so I can't say what it would do in those environments. However, 2 seasons with no trouble, riding every day, all OEM, and still cheaper then A/F. I'm curious to see how long it holds up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom