Starter/ Solenoid Question

Got a question that I am just curious over...

I understand that it may be common over the years that the "Clicking noise problem" may occur resulting in a possible bad starter or solenoid because APPARENTLY water gets in there and corrodes it????

How common does this occur? Has anyone ever NOT had this occur and has had their ski for a long time?

Just curious!
MRC

Woody

Need to save my money!!
try checking all of your connections first...positive and negative. if there aren't good connections, it can lead to that clicking noise. cut back all the wire to/from battery, ground, solenoid, etc.... as for the actual solenoid going bad i dont know...have you sunk your ski to the point that it was fully filled with water?

#ZERO

Beach Bum
I've had some of those solenoids go bad on a few skis.

If you're trying to check a used solenoid, power it up the two small wires and check the resistance between the two large studs.

Sometimes they can create intermittent starting problems, so anything more than a few ohms should be discarded.

Will do! Thanks... however are the things common to happen even if the ski never get to much water in it? Is it common for starters to go bad?

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
Most of the solenoids I have replaced on Yamahas had nothing to do with water intrusion of the electrical box,the contacts inside the solenoid just wear out after a period of time,the solenoids are pretty well sealed,I am sure salt water inside the box would most definatly speed up the demise of an otherwise perfectly good solenoid ...............

So my back to my question.... out of curiosity about how often(or how many year do you think) do they tend to go bad?

Thanks

Proformance1

Liquid Insanity
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
Like anything else, how may times was it started, what environment was it used in and how well was that particular item manufactured and to what tolerance on that given unit. Do what I do, take a spare one with ya!! lol But to answer you question, id guess that they would last for 4years plus. Who knows how long. Hey who has the longest lasting solenoid on the boards? Mine is 5 years old, and still working. I know Frostys went at 7 yrs old

Last edited:

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
So my back to my question.... out of curiosity about how often(or how many year do you think) do they tend to go bad?

Thanks

In six years, I've seen 3 or 4 go bad. A couple looked real cruddy, a couple looked brand-new.

Top Bottom