Starter turns over too slow with good battery

Just put the motor back into my ski, and when i wen to fire it, it turned over very slowly, and went wump, wump, wump, it wasn't smooth. I checked the battery and it had 12.2 volts on it. I have both grounds going from the intake manifold to the battery if that matters. Any tips are appreciated.

I should add that the starter worked fine before i tore it down. Where do the grounds go for an 87 440?

Last edited:

Kohldanielzimmer

Sierra Nevada Runoff Rider
Site Supporter
Ground is hooked up from the stud on the intake to negative ground on battery. Check for loose connections. Try a known good battery.

Did you silicone the starter snout? Sometimes that can detract from the ground.

I meant to say that I did not silicone the starter snout, but the guy before me did so perhaps the old stuff is causing an issue. And the stator wire goes from the manifold to the battery?

Last edited:
I meant to say that I did not silicone the starter snout, but the guy before me did so perhaps the old stuff is causing an issue. And the stator wire goes from the manifold to the battery?
old stuff wont be an issue ... it will get ground through the BOLTS also, so use all you want on the snout

12.2 on a fully charged bat is kinda low.
battery ground goes to stud on intaje and small ground goes from said stud to ebox.

Well, i've triple checked all my connections and its still doing it. Thinking the starters bad, as i tried it with a different known good battery. How do i check the starter to see if its good?

Had similar problems, go to advance auto parts and get a 2ft ground cable with terminals. Connect it from negative on battery to one of the mounting bolts on the starter.

You can test this with a jumper cable first to see if it helps. 12.2V is LOW on that battery. A full charge should be around 13.2V.

Ok, i'll definitely try that. I checked it after trying to start it some, and it had worked before which led me to believe it was still good.

Tried the new ground cable and it seems to work. Still going to check and make sure the battery is all good. Thanks.

Pablo

sqeez bth levrs & lean bk
Site Supporter
^^ that or it's ur other battery cables aren't conducting due to internal breakage or corrosion. I've had cables (used oem) work the previous seasons and the next season a fresh battery wouldn't hardly turn engine over. Before buying a new starter, bench test it...if it checks out ok then move on to cables individually, but a fresh ground cable is the perfect place to look for a culprit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try cranking it without the spark plugs and if it spins freely try again with them on and if it doesnt spin freely your starter is bad just get it rebuilt. I had the same problem with a 550 i purchased! I diagnosed everything and got the starter rebuilt and now pushes the 200psi motor over no problem.... cost me $40

Top Bottom