Superjet Bog

My ski seems to bog a bit when Its under a good load. It died on me yesterday after about 2 hours riding time, when starting from a stop and pinning the throttle. I replaced the fuel filter, and plugs today. Has good spark. It has NGK plug wires that look newer to me. Would it be wise to clean out the internal fuel filter tomorrow since i will have time. My question is can I reuse the old gaskets When I clean out the carb? Also If you have any other suggestions to why its bogging please help. The ski has a coffman pipe, stainless impeller, and a riva ride plate. Maybe the high jet is to lean??

Edit:
Forgot to add I have a problem getting it to plane out and it does not seem to go as fast as it should. Compression is good 155 and 155

Last edited:
Did it ever run well under similar conditions? If so, I'd leave the jetting. Can you get it to rev up past the bogging point? Does it ever 'clean out' and rev up?
I would get a carb kit which comes with all the gaskets and a new filter. Take out the jets and mixture screws (count how many turns they were at before hand) and make sure all passages are clear with carb cleaner. Check the pop-off pressure while it's in your lap. It's possible that your high speed screw is too rich if it simply won't rev out though.

I am no expert or anything but I starting looking around my carb and it appears to be missing the high and low adjusting screws one on each side.

002-1.jpg

001-1.jpg

Last edited:
I am no expert or anything but I starting looking around my carb and it appears to be missing the high and low adjusting screws one on each side.

002-1.jpg

001-1.jpg

That's normal for those carbs. The high and low are on opposite sides.
The first thing I'd try is screwing in the high speed screw 1/8 turn to see if that makes any improvement. There will be an H next to it. If it gets better but not perfect turn it it some more but go easy testing. If it revs up high then slows a bit while holding the throttle open, it is lean and don't continue like that. One high speed pass can seize it. Small amounts at a time with testing until it peaks (then go slightly richer from there) should sort it out if your too rich on top.

Check your vent line and make sure it's not pinched (try loosening your gas cap when this starts and see if you hear a pressure release).

Actually just broke my check valve today, So i have a new one coming in the mail, I will check the rest of the line when I put that valve in.

jap7t8

Spring Fever...
I know I should probably be able to tell from the pics, but is it a 650 or 701 sj? Mine is doing the exact same thing (650). I took out the old fuel filter and it was full of crap. I replaced it and all seemed to be well. It ran great for the rest of the weekend, but this past weekend it started acting up again. It seemed strange that the filter fixed it for a bit only for the same problem to come back again. Have you checked your tank? I am wondering if there is something in it that keeps getting sucked up the fuel line.

I know I should probably be able to tell from the pics, but is it a 650 or 701 sj? Mine is doing the exact same thing (650). I took out the old fuel filter and it was full of crap. I replaced it and all seemed to be well. It ran great for the rest of the weekend, but this past weekend it started acting up again. It seemed strange that the filter fixed it for a bit only for the same problem to come back again. Have you checked your tank? I am wondering if there is something in it that keeps getting sucked up the fuel line.

Its a 650. Have not checked the tank. Just ordered a carb rebuild kit and I will try and mess with the high and low adjustment screws and see If it will start to run normal. I haven't had it out since I changed the plugs and fuel filter yet. Hopefully that did it.

cookerq62

Life's Been Good
Did you check the internal filter yet? If it's filled with crap clean it out & clean your fuel tank out. Run it then check it again If there is more junk in there I would replace the fuel lines.Also make sure you replace your Needle & Seat when you rebuild the carb.

jap7t8

Spring Fever...
Did you check the internal filter yet? If it's filled with crap clean it out & clean your fuel tank out. Run it then check it again If there is more junk in there I would replace the fuel lines.Also make sure you replace your Needle & Seat when you rebuild the carb.

Is this internal filter in the tank or somewhere in the carb? Sorry Formula001, hope you don't think I'm trying to hi-jack your thread. It just sounds like we are having the same problem. I'd be interested to hear how your carb rebuild goes. I think I am doing that next.

Is this internal filter in the tank or somewhere in the carb? Sorry Formula001, hope you don't think I'm trying to hi-jack your thread. It just sounds like we are having the same problem. I'd be interested to hear how your carb rebuild goes. I think I am doing that next.

It's in the carb.
Also clean out your inline filter/water separator.

Alright I will let you know when I take it out tomarrow if the plugs and fuel filter did anything, and if not I will rebuild the carb.

Top Bottom