Super Jet Superjet winter rebuild thread

Hey all

I drowned my superjet. :sad2:

I know I will need gaskets - what else am I gonna need to unfreeze this engine?

What else do I need to do while I have the engine out?

Are there any requisite upgrades to do while everything is apart?

Any guidance to the thread about reinforcing the hull for surf jumping?

Thanks in advance, this thread is gonna be where I report throughout this rebuild.

Last edited:

modularjunk

day dreaming
Site Supporter
you better dry out those elctronics quick and spray them real good in crc56 or wd40 asap!

how long has it been sitting for the plugs to look like that ? to me id say complete rebuild. motor carbs ect your crank prob looks like your spark plugs! after you sink your ski you need to get all the water out and lube it up real good right away and try to get it running to burn out moisture. looks like this sat a long time

JT_Freeride

John Tetenes @Jtetenes
you better dry out those elctronics quick and spray them real good in crc56 or wd40 asap!

how long has it been sitting for the plugs to look like that ? to me id say complete rebuild. motor carbs ect your crank prob looks like your spark plugs! after you sink your ski you need to get all the water out and lube it up real good right away and try to get it running to burn out moisture. looks like this sat a long time

Agreed when you sink your ski you have to get it running as fast as possible and run it for at least 30 mins then spray everything down. By looking at those plugs id say your crank is toast

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
Looks like you have a stock head too. That requires a gasket not orings.

If you are not mechanically inclined I would suggest and SBT motor to replace yours. Your crank is toast if your plugs look like that.

Does the motor even turn over?

Ouch! Thats a complete rebuild, i would hate to see what your crank looks like. IMO i'd be tempted to buy a second hand running motor and replace it as a rebuild would cost the same if not more. If you sink your ski and cant get it running, get all the water out by turning it upside down and fill the pots with diesel ASAP. I have sunk my ski quite a few times but have always had it running and taken it out for a blast (WOT) for at least 10 mins to clear the moisture out.
Here is a good guide from the UK forum- http://www.pwcforums.co.uk/starting-sunken-ski_topic52108.html

Jase

Here's the story
I've been riding, racing, and repairing dirtbikes most my life. Got the superjet cause this summer it was just too damn hot to ride dirt.
I got a rope stuck on my impeller in the water, flipped it over, pulled the rope out, water went into the engine compartment unbeknownst to me, I hit the starter, engine ingested water. I pulled the jet into the driveway immediately (beach cart), pulled the plugs, flipped it over, held the starter til no more water shot out. Relaunched the ski, started up fine, ran a whole tank of fuel thru it. Rode all day dudes.
Thought everything was fine, so I flushed it out like normal and stored it. 3 weeks or so pass by before I get back to it, I go to start it, starter button does nothing. No click or anything. turns out the black box got fulla water too. I pull it all apart, clean up connections and replace the corroded main fuse. Juice goes to the starter now but engine doesn't turn. I pull the plugs, take that first picture and post it up on here.

That's the timeline gents, tomorrow I'll be pulling it all apart.

Last edited:
Did you flush with running engine? When you flushed it did you turn the hose off before the engine? your flush sound like what did you in. If you ran a whole tank through after submerging it should have been fine (engine anyway).

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
Next time even after running it for a while you should fog it out with fogging oil.

Last time I had an issue with a motor I just poured two stroke oil down both carbs(one at a time) while running to soak the crank and pistons with oil. Can't do any harm after getting it full of salt water.

Either way you have to strip that motor. I would assume new crank, crank seals, gaskets, a hone and pistons and rings.

haha that's what I was thinking!

so, I got the engine out an tore down as far as it goes without pulling the flywheel, lots of light surface rust is what's goin on. pistons and sleeves are rust free, all the water/corrosion was in the bottom end. drenched everything in fogger while it's all exposed. gonna pull the flywheel after work and pull the crank to see what all bearings I'll hafta replace.

Someone told me to get the engine "hot tanked" to remove the rust and the corrosion in the water jacket - is there any little secret o-rings or gaskets that will get disintegrated if I do this?

Last edited:
So I got it all apart

The problem was the wristpin bearings - totally trashed. Everything else seems ok. all crank bearings spin freely, including lower conrod bearings. I think I am going to just replace the wristpin bearings, washers, and circlips.

Any suggestion where the cheapest OEM parts could be had? Gonna need all new gaskets as well, and the gasket for the electrical box...

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
Parkeryamaha.com or greateryamaha.com

I would be iffy about using that crank. For the cost of an SBT crank it's cheap insurance to do it now while it's apart.

Sospikey

Trying to get upside down
At the very least replace the crank seals and do a leak-down test after assembly. Jetmaniac could set you up with all the parts you need at killer prices, he's on the forum. I'd replace the crank, hone and put some new rings in. Do that now and run trouble-free for a few season!

At the very least replace the crank seals and do a leak-down test after assembly. Jetmaniac could set you up with all the parts you need at killer prices, he's on the forum. I'd replace the crank, hone and put some new rings in. Do that now and run trouble-free for a few season!

this sounds like a plan - how do I find jetmaniac?

My list so far
4x circlips and plate washers
2x 81mm ring sets
2x wrist pin bearings
701 62t/61x RN motor gasket kit (oem head)
Oem electrical box gasket
4x engine mounts (stockers are trashed, 2 fell apart during disassembly)
grommet/cable packing/band that seals where the controls go into the pivot bracket - previous owner lost it and it has freakin foam insulation there. :rolleyes:

maybe a bilge, if I can figure out how that works - how to run power to it, running controls, mounting...

Bilge is easy to do, hit up ocdsolutions on here he has a nice kit to make bilge install easy and with clean wiring...also don't take out your stock siphon bilge, whats wrong with it?

JT_Freeride

John Tetenes @Jtetenes
Bilge is easy to do, hit up ocdsolutions on here he has a nice kit to make bilge install easy and with clean wiring...also don't take out your stock siphon bilge, whats wrong with it?

The stock siphon doesn't break. If it's not working it most likely is clogged. They only work when your moving.

Top Bottom