Super Jet The Poor Panty Dropper

I found a super jet in Madison IN & I could not pass on a jet ski named the "Panty Dropper". My wife thinks I should change the name. Anyway, Ski is not running very well. Rebuilt the carbs and checked the compression. Both cyclinders are 150psi using an ADA head. After another water test with no luck. I pulled the head and the piston are black. The squid before me did NOT run dual cooling on the factory pipe setup correctly so we have a heating issue with baking oil.

Question:
Do you guys think I should do a rebuild based on the black pistons of just fix the remaining issue and give it another try? Thoughts...

Kohldanielzimmer

Sierra Nevada Runoff Rider
Site Supporter
Can you describe what symptoms the ski is exhibiting of running poorly?

Very black pistons can indicate a lean condition. Please include pictures. Also, 150 PSI with an aftermarket head suggests a worn top end. Questionable gauge reading should always be considered too. What CC domes?

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
Personally I think if you only have 150 with an ADA head installed that top end is tired , at the very least pull it apart and find out why , this is assuming that your compression gauge is accurate of course, if you don't trust it borrow or rent one and check it again.

As is it's more of a Granny panty dropper.

I think I should pull the cylinder just to be safe. The more I dig down, the more issues I find. Based on the black on the top of the cylinders, what do you guys think? The ski did run, but very badly. Thanks as always for the advice.

Attachments

• piston1.jpeg
    piston1.jpeg
    140.7 KB · Views: 31

WFO Speedracer

Pistons look fairly normal to me, yes pull it apart and have the cylinders and pistons measured , at the least it probably needs honing and new rings .

All I can tell from those pics is it has 760 pistons in it.

Pistons look fine, you don't want clean looking pistons. Probably a carb issue. It should still run well even at 150 psi in each hole. I hope it drops some pannies for ya.

WFO Speedracer

Pistons look fine, you don't want clean looking pistons. Probably a carb issue. It should still run well even at 150 psi in each hole. I hope it drops some pannies for ya.
I disagree unless that ADA head has the wrong size domes in it, it should be way more than 150psi , you have the head off what size are the domes ?

Pretty sure that engine was a 760 from a couch with about 135-140 psi from start. Can't recall, but I know the ski. I put it together a few years back from all old spare beater parts as a backup/friend ski, it ran pretty well when I sold it.
I've got a ton of pics of the hull build.

OMG that is very funny! We have found the "Panty Droppers" father. I am going to pull it apart and rebuild it. I am also going to send the carbs off to Ed over at Full Spectrum, add dual cooling, and add an MSD enhancer. ADDick is very impressive work on the hull. Honestly, it's a great ski, and I can't wait to get it back on the water.

OMG that is very funny! We have found the "Panty Droppers" father. I am going to pull it apart and rebuild it. I am also going to send the carbs off to Ed over at Full Spectrum, add dual cooling, and add an MSD enhancer. ADDick is very impressive work on the hull. Honestly, it's a great ski, and I can't wait to get it back on the water.
I just resurrected it, I believe that ski has has many fathers, lol. I took a ton of pics of the hull gutting and reinforcement. Those were T1 footholds FYI.
Good luck with it buddy!

Top Bottom