This is driving me crazy..need tuning help

62t cases 62t cylinders stock bore no porting
stock dual 38s
riva head 35cc domes
B pipe mod

It originally was a ported/bored 6m6 cylinder on the 62t cases, had 110 pilots and 145 mains, the pilots seemed HUGE to me and in the water you had to hold the throttle WO and crank for 10 seconds to get it going.

Dropped the pilots to 75, sometimes it starts fast others you gotta crank it for a while...primer helps sometimes

The problem is it has NO power till half throttle, sh!tty hole******** and no real hit...getting any real air off a setup wake is impossible cause you dont hit the powerband fast enough.
It screams off the upper mid and top end but anything before that just sucks nuts.
It doesnt bog and take off like it should if it was too rich so does that still sound like its too lean? Could it be my popoff? Its driving me crazy I just want to ride but I dont want to always be hauling ass to get any air...I need to be able to hit my setup wakes!

Carb tuning is really not my forte, im going to go check piston wash now and take a pic the pistons were fresh before today and I got a couple hours on them now so hopefully that'll help with diagnosing

Here is the piston wash after 2 hours of riding or so...thick film of oil over the pistons as you can see with the finger smudge on the piston....
Should I drop the mains? 145 seems high for my setup compared to others with similar rigs.
pistonwash.jpg

Watty

Random Performance
Thats either stupid rich, or you have water leaking into your cylinders.

Forget about the top and tune for good hit/throttle response off the bottom. Basically, lean it out on the bottom....ride for a minute or so, and then see if it will idle. It should idle forever and hit the instant you open the throttle. Lean it out 1/8 or 1/4 turn at a time (depending on how good you are at tunig) until it falls on it's face when you blip it to 1/3 throttle off idle.

Go down a jet size or so when the bottom end adjuster is fully closed and continue until it's right. If you can get it close, but not perfect, you might need to play with your popoff pressure a little (I'd say around 25psi).

One thing I really stress is to play with the throttle for a while to get the fuel change flowing through the ircuits until you test it. I've seen people chase thier tail with tuning simply because they don't let the changed mixture flow right through thee carbs before testing. Against a dock is best.

Once you have the bottom right, run the top really rich, and get a tach on there. A couple of WOT/plug chops while watching the tach will get you pretty close.

Top Bottom