Tips for bigger riders?

I just got back into jetskiing after about a 6 year hiatus, and bought my first superjet (used) this past June.

Being in Tampa, it was easy to become wrapped up (nay..addicted) to the freeride craze and I have been pursuing that style of riding for a few months.

Like many I suppose, I convinced myself early on that power was the ticket. I've done full B-pipe mods, head, carbs, ignition, some pump work, and aftermarket pole, lowered hood, and of course footholds.

I know practice is everything, and after Daytona this year, have convinced myself that I need to really work on my finesse, techinique and skill. I've been blessed by having to have been able to hook up with some of the best (Pat Bogart and the X-metal/X-Scream gang....well, I just don't have the words!!) riders and learn a great deal. However at 6'4" and and around 215 pounds, I'm asking alot of my ski.

I've become pretty accustomed to riding with both feet in the back of the tray, and feet buried in the holds, but don't seem to be nearly as comfortable as I watch other riders. I'm looking for a few tips and techniques from bigger riders that may help me accelerate my learning curve a bit.

I should have mentioned that I have a -4 pole setup, with shorty quick steer turnplate and modified nozzle. I'm currently riding an extended carbon fiber D-cut ride plate (WCF) and finally just put a Worx 205 intake on it.

I know this is probably a wide open question, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks all!! What an awesome sport!

Big Kahuna

Administrator
since your close to X Scream, look into getting some porting done, you already have the basics on your ski... practice....... also, do not stiffen up when you ride, relax, that is one of the biggest things, just relax and have fun.

WaveDemon

Not Dead - Notable Member
I weight as much as you (and live in tampa), get out of your holds more. I only get locked into my holds when I'm about to attempt a trick that requires them.

I'm somewhat heavier than you and have had several powerplants in my ski from a 650 to a ported 701 and honestly I rode the best with stock 701 cylinders and an old coffman's pipe.
Power is fun, but too much of it for your skill level will hurt your riding IMO.

Trinity Composites

Lightweight Evolution
I just got back into jetskiing after about a 6 year hiatus, and bought my first superjet (used) this past June.

Being in Tampa, it was easy to become wrapped up (nay..addicted) to the freeride craze and I have been pursuing that style of riding for a few months.

Like many I suppose, I convinced myself early on that power was the ticket. I've done full B-pipe mods, head, carbs, ignition, some pump work, and aftermarket pole, lowered hood, and of course footholds.

I know practice is everything, and after Daytona this year, have convinced myself that I need to really work on my finesse, techinique and skill. I've been blessed by having to have been able to hook up with some of the best (Pat Bogart and the X-metal/X-Scream gang....well, I just don't have the words!!) riders and learn a great deal. However at 6'4" and and around 215 pounds, I'm asking alot of my ski.

I've become pretty accustomed to riding with both feet in the back of the tray, and feet buried in the holds, but don't seem to be nearly as comfortable as I watch other riders. I'm looking for a few tips and techniques from bigger riders that may help me accelerate my learning curve a bit.

I should have mentioned that I have a -4 pole setup, with shorty quick steer turnplate and modified nozzle. I'm currently riding an extended carbon fiber D-cut ride plate (WCF) and finally just put a Worx 205 intake on it.

I know this is probably a wide open question, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks all!! What an awesome sport!
Have you tried a lightweight kawi based hull? Night and day difference. That will accelerate your learning curve.

I'm probably about 225 and I used to ride around in the footholds all the time. Once I started riding more surf stance, I was able to keep my weight near the center of the ski which made me feel alot more comfortable. I felt like I had a lot more control that way.

Mike Serlin

NOW SPORTING A BIONIC LEG
Joe Kenney is the best example. He's a big tall guy, that is able to ride and balance on a ski better than anyone. Spreading your feet apart helps a lot. I couldn't imagine trying to ride a wave on a surf board with my feet together so a ski shouldn't be any different. The holds are fine for doing tricks, but when you're just riding you want a staggered stance and you want to try to get your weight a little lower. Hope this helps a little

Wow,

Thanks guys! I appreciate all the valuable feedback and advice (I love this site!!). I had a pretty good ride today, albeit since putting that Worx 205 in my setup wakes seem to have suffered a little. Reading from some of the other forums, the intake grate impacts how glued to the water your hull is overall. I think the 205 had less "grab" than the protec or aquavein with the larger top-loader wing (205 has a much shorter wing, plus a cutout), and my hull may be riding slightly higher than normal, decreasing the natural wake a bit. The round about question that I am getting to is what ride plates to the bigger guys general recommend for freestyle (I'm hell bent on nailing stabs and barrel rolls....then attempting a backie in surf)? I have an extended WCF D-cut plate now, and am considering going to a shortie...either stock or D-cut. Theory being....I'd gain some of that setup wake potential back (I think)...and perhaps benefit from a slightly higher nose attitude. Also, any of you guys recommend (or are using now) trim systems to help generate larger wakes or perhaps assist in barrel rolls and off-axis rolls? Thanks again!!

wavehog

X-cellent Smithers!
I am 6' 260 pounds & IMO less is more for learning.12 years on a stock fx1 (a big blender has more hook up) you learn to use momentum, body english & finesse to make up for no power. You learn how to ride a ski. Go back to basics, Go rip some buoys/channel markers or better yet tiny creeks or follow marsh edge (1' away) :scratchchin: s-turns galore. Low & loose has never done me wrong .

cookerq62

Life's Been Good
I am 6'1 245, the things that have helped me the most is keeping the pole as low as you can get it. Also try not to muscle with the ski with the bars let your legs do all the work. Practice riding with one hand and mashing the gas and keeping the ski straight. Just riding with one hand is going to help you out alot because you will learn not to fight the ski. Don't bother getting any new parts it is just going to slow down your learing process.

when doubt gas it thats all it takes
im 210 lbs and i can do a barrel roll on mine 650 superjet with race gas and serious compression. 220 pounds of compression. 9/10 skat prop

Last edited:

yamahammer

are you men the police?
6"4' 275lb here- get all the power you can and just haul azz- i d-cut my ride and it was horrible on flat and really horrible in the ocean- went back to a extended with fins and im back to good (or as good as i get)- really its just rider- i know plenty of skinny bastards that cant ride at all.

spug

The Silver Surfer
I am 6' 260 pounds & IMO less is more for learning.12 years on a stock fx1 (a big blender has more hook up) you learn to use momentum, body english & finesse to make up for no power. You learn how to ride a ski. Go back to basics, Go rip some buoys/channel markers or better yet tiny creeks or follow marsh edge (1' away) :scratchchin: s-turns galore. Low & loose has never done me wrong .

Dude, I have never heard anybody explain riding stand-ups any better in my life. Seriously, that was genius!!!

Top Bottom