Super Jet Trick for removing coupler off midshaft

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
yes. grind an old driveshaft with two flat spots so you can lock that in the vice. slide the midshaft over the driveshaft thats in the vice.

heat the crap out of the coupler(I like mapp gas)

Big giant prybar between the teeth of the coupler and pop it should come right off

IS0LD0UT

I hate winter
I just took mine off yesterday, mine was spinning in the vice too.
This is what worked. I put the midshaft in a pipe wrench. I heated the sides of the coupler where the threads are for about 15 seconds on all sides with a propane torch. Then took a breaker bar laying through the coupler teeth and pulled really hard on the breaker bar with my foot on the pipe wrench.

I am buying the tool for the next time. Is that what Jetmaniac sells?

Careful, I just pulled my impeller off by holding the drive shaft in a hydraulic press and then used the same for the midshaft coupler and crushed the midshaft as it is hollow! Fortunately the midshaft was worn and I was changing it for a new one.

Pablo

sqeez bth levrs & lean bk
Site Supporter
Yeah, Jetmaniac has a sweet tool he makes that turns this problem into about a 30 second job.
I just took mine off yesterday, mine was spinning in the vice too.
This is what worked. I put the midshaft in a pipe wrench. I heated the sides of the coupler where the threads are for about 15 seconds on all sides with a propane torch. Then took a breaker bar laying through the coupler teeth and pulled really hard on the breaker bar with my foot on the pipe wrench.

I am buying the tool for the next time. Is that what Jetmaniac sells?

Well broke all the the fingers off the old coupler and the damn this is still stuck on the shaft...... I removed the shaft from the bearing housing. Now I am going to bring a second big pipe wrench home from work and get that damn thing off the midshaft

Pablo

sqeez bth levrs & lean bk
Site Supporter
Well, now even if u had jetmaniac's sweet tool it would be hard to get that mofo off. I'd consider just buying a whole midshaft off someone on here. They can be had for $100 or less at times. Good luck bro.

if the coupler is goosed, chain drill down the coupler where the threads are - you dont need to drill as deep as the threads, then support the coupler and a couple of sharp taps with a chisel down the line of chain drilled holes - the coupler will crack through the holes and then simply turn off

tor*p*do

Squarenose FTW
Site Supporter
yeah is the coupler is shot, take a sawz-all to it
just dont hit the shaft threads
the coupler is only aluminum!

Last edited:
Top Bottom