Blaster Triple towing aerolite camper and dual xp yamaha jetski trailer

Title says it. Looking to upgrade sleeping quarters this year. Any ideas how to get the camper and jetskis out to the lake in one trip?Towing with a esculade with tongue weight of 6000 lbs. The 2004 24 ft. Aerolite camper is 3200 lbs.So looking at triple towing. Any ideas before I buy this camper and make a regret. I am trying to avoid taking multi vehicles for the wife doesnt want to tow either. The yamaha single xp blasters dont weigh much so looking at attaching to the camper. I heard the aerolite campers are made light in the framing.

You should think about buying a nice toyhualer. Most comes with a bed restroom and kitchen area. Most only sleep 2/4 but you can always unload the toys and lay down a blow up mattress if needed

You don't have a tongue weight rating of 6000lbs., you have a tow rating of 6000lbs. You need to consult your to local DPS about liscensing, to pull doubles under 64 ft. total length you usually need a class A. You also have to add up the GVWR's of the towed trailers and that of your vehicle totals not to exceed the GCVWR. Once you got that handled you need to scale your complete setup ready to camp to make sure you are not over your front or rear axle weight rating. Tow ratings on trucks are given from the manufacturer with the vehicle-170lb adult-17 gallons of fuel and a cup of coffe lol. All the above is if you want to be legal, most guys just hitch up and go. There are many states that are setting up mobile scales similar to DUI checkpoints. I personally know people that have been ticketed-impounded. One friend of mine got hit 3 years ago in Pismo with a 40ft Weeked Warrior and an F-250. It cost him about $5K in fines and fees. He then purchased a F-450 and got his non-commercial class A.There are people in prison right now that did that and had an accident where someone was injured. Pretty sure you're gonna need a different truck

Last edited:

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
WTF is an XP Blaster?

That Escalade is going to run into trouble towing even just the camper. It may be only 3,200 lbs dry, but once it's fully loaded, you're looking at more than that. A lot more. Don't forget that fully loaded includes any weight you put into the Escalade - passengers, cargo, etc.
There is no good way for you to tow both that camper AND two skis at the same time. Not with that vehicle.
The toyhauler suggestion isn't really all that great, either. A toyhauler big enough to fit two sitdowns and some way of launching those skis is going to be very expensive (compared to the camper) and pretty heavy.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it's not going to happen with your intended setup. I went through something similar in the past year. I knew I wanted a toyhauler, so I bought an older full-ton dually Diesel truck with an 8ft bed. Then I bought an older toyhauler 5th wheel. It fit three standups into the 10ft garage in the back pretty easily.
But that toyhauler was g'damn heavy. The whole thing (truck, trailer, everything loaded) was close to 22k lbs. Way too much.
I sold the toyhauler and bought a new 27ft travel trailer that weighs 4,600lbs dry. I put the ski and beach cart + hitch hauler in the truck bed now. It works pretty well and tows a lot better than the old 5th wheel.
Of course, even that setup would not be a very good match for two sitdowns.

todc207

Drama diffuser
What he said^ plus I know when I was racing and traveling most states you can only pull a trailer with a trailer when the first is a gooseneck. The part about the GVW of the tow vehicle is very important. I had a 32' tri axle in closed with complete shop towing five snow-x sleds with a brand new 2500 suburban and they didn't want to let me back into the US at the Canadian boarder because my GVW was so off. Had to trade it in on a big diesel at the time. That's not something to mess with. Plus your insurance company can deny claims if you are towing illegal and insure someone. Google it its happened many times.

What he said^ plus I know when I was racing and traveling most states you can only pull a trailer with a trailer when the first is a gooseneck. The part about the GVW of the tow vehicle is very important. I had a 32' tri axle in closed with complete shop towing five snow-x sleds with a brand new 2500 suburban and they didn't want to let me back into the US at the Canadian boarder because my GVW was so off. Had to trade it in on a big diesel at the time. That's not something to mess with. Plus your insurance company can deny claims if you are towing illegal and insure someone. Google it its happened many times.
Dear Mr. Wirtz:

I preface my comments regarding your question forwarded by the Kansas Department of Transportation by stating that the information below is provided with the understanding that the Kansas Highway Patrol is not engaged in rendering legal advice and you should contact an attorney regarding legal issues. Our response is of general informational and educational value and warrants of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose are specifically excluded.

A three-vehicle combination may lawfully be operated in the State of Kansas while adhering to certain relevant limitations and restrictions.

The total overall length of the combination shall not exceed 65 feet.

The lights (tail lamps, brake lamps, turn signals) must be operative on the rearmost vehicle.

Safety chains or cables shall be employed at connections, excluding a fifth-wheel connection.

If both connections are of the draw-bar tow-bar type (ball and hitch / bumper hitch / *gooseneck on a ball), an anti-sway mechanism must be employed on the first connection and brakes must act upon at least one axle of the final vehicle. However, if at least one of the connections is of a semi-trailer type fifth-wheel, the requirements for anti-sway on the first connection and brakes on the last vehicle would not apply.

In all cases there shall be enough braking action to stop the entire vehicle within 40 feet from a speed of 20 miles per hour.

*Since there is no anti-sway mechanism for a gooseneck connection that I am aware of, that requirement may be disregarded.

Have a safe trip.

SGT. Tony Stewart
Kansas Highway Patrol
General Headquarters
Public and Governmental Affairs
122 S.W. 7[SUP]th[/SUP] Street
Topeka, KS 66603
785-296-6800
tstewart@khp.ks.gov

there's the answer I got from kansas highway patrol. I understand I would be maxing the capacity with the esculade even though it has air bags tow package and a 6.0 liter. Taht camper is about the lightest I found. Dont know what to do. So tow weight is everthing included whats in the exculade? It says cargo amount is 10,000. Either way dont wanna get laughed at for not bieng big enough size isnt everything. lol

Matt_E

Site Supporter
You need to figure out what the Gross Combined Vehicle Weight is. That would be your Escalade plus anything you're towing. Do not exceed that weight.
"Cargo Amount" being 10,000 lbs, just means that everything you have that Escalade tow or pack cannot exceed 10,000 lbs. That's everything in the Escalade and everything you are towing.
Just go by GCVW like stated above and you're good.
I do think that you will exceed whatever the max GCVW is for that Escalade with your camper, skis, and whatever else you're transporting.
And this isn't necessarily about having air bags and tow package and a 6.0 engine. The transmission is a big concern. The brakes are a BIGGER concern. The scariest thing about towing big loads is slowing down properly and nothing sucks worse than stepping on the brakes and smelling them, and then having them fade to almost no stopping at all.

You need to educate yourself on the different weight rating lingos. The difference between Gross weight ratings and empty. This is simple thing right here, read the sticker on your door, if you exceed and one of those you are illegal. You can be within your GVWR but at the same time exceed your GFAWR, hence illegal and voiding ins. and possibly leading to litigation if something should happen.

todc207

Drama diffuser
I actually drove the wife's truck today so I just ran out and looked at the drivers door tag. It's a 2006 suburban 2500 4x4 loaded with a 6.0 and 4.10 gears. The tag says GVWR is 8650lbs

My ford is a little more than that. Rear axle rating at 14900. GVWR is 13300, GCVWR is 30000. Now thats where things get funny like i was saying about GAWR's. If you add your GFAWR and your GRAWR together it is more than what your GVWR rating is, that is where people get in trouble. You can also get your ratings changed by inspection at local DPS by way of tire rating. Problem is the tires don't give you bigger brakes lol

Last edited:
Basically your asking to get yourself killed or kill someone else!!!! Do the right thing, figure out what is the correct trailer that will accomplish your goal then look for the vehicle that will do the job.

My ford is a little more than that. Rear axle rating at 14900. GVWR is 13300, GCVWR is 30000. Now thats where things get funny like i was saying about GAWR's. If you add your GFAWR and your GRAWR together it is more than what your GVWR rating is, that is where people get in trouble. You can also get your ratings changed by inspection at local DPS by way of tire rating. Problem is the tires don't give you bigger brakes lol
ok so I was off on my weight capacity. Either way this is a good conversation piece.
GVWR 6800 GAWR {FRT} 3200 GAWR RR 4000

So yes I whipped it out and mines smaller, lol whats all this mean.
The camper is 3200 lbs dry. we can all guess what the blasters way with the dual trailer, about 900lbs I guess.
The highway patrol demands brake trailers so I dont see brakes being a problem. Sway bars are a must to see whats the damage guys? My area is very hilly either and Its a bout fourty mile trip. I just hate to drive out there four times to take the toys out each week. That could add up to alot of fuel.

98gti

C@R H@ul3R
I cringe when I see people pulling giant a$$ campers or boats with a half ton truck. I used to do it, but after having nothing but 3/4 and one ton duallys I will never go back. Just b/c they "can" do it doesnt mean you should. I never liked the idea of a trailer attached to the back of a pull behind camper b/c you cant see it at all, you could lose the thing and never know it. Another thing I noticed about campers and towing them is the ones with the kitchen in the middle and over the axles tow alot nicer compared to having it in the front, the extra weight of the refidgerator, oven, and sink make a big difference, especially on a half ton and if you're not using a weight distributing hitch.

Aint about who's is bigger. It's about doing the right thing and having the right tools for the job you want to do. I started out with a half ton years ago, as my interests got bigger I upgraded accordingly. To me half tons are grocery getters anymore. Recreation isnt just about the toys, its about safely getting there and back. I was giving weight examples that my tow vehicle is capable of safely towing as an example that if you have a big truck your limitations (and chances of hurting people) are greatly reduced. I'm here to have fun not problems so I equip myself accordingly. Trying to help man, for what you want to do (safely and legally) there is alot more involved than just the right ball size and some safety chains. I sent you my phone number so I could help and try to explain the numbers to you so you don't get yourself in a jam.

Last edited:

Matt_E

Site Supporter
Exactly right. Towing big stuff is no joke and you want to do it right.
Half tons are not very good at towing anything but the lightest of loads. Tow one or the other, but not both.

Dmac80sc

Site Supporter
Does anyone think he could build a double hitch hauler for the skis? Instead of pulling the trailer just have the hitch hauler? I know nothing about the weights or if it is possible just throwing it out there as an Idea.

Matt_E

Site Supporter
Does anyone think he could build a double hitch hauler for the skis? Instead of pulling the trailer just have the hitch hauler? I know nothing about the weights or if it is possible just throwing it out there as an Idea.

Absolutely not. Remember that it's two Blasters

Dmac80sc

Site Supporter
It couldn't be like a upside down V shape? and Just make it beefy? It would weigh a lot but I was talking more so he isn't towing something he still would have to figure out the weight being to much for the truck.

Top Bottom