trouble installing xp on new hdd

My hdd on my hp laptop is dying a slow death, so i bought a new one went to install it and my laptop ecided it didnt want to recognize my dvd drive, so i went into the bios and of course the crappy bios doesnt allow booting from usb. I would just install xp using another computer but this hdd is ide, and all my other computers are SATA. Any ideas? i can occasionally get the old hdd to workk so i could reflash the bios, but im not sure what bios is compatable.

the laptop requires ide ( parallel ata) and bought an ide drive. its just my cd/dvd drive is a pain even with the old hdd. but its a hp dv4000 ( 4217cl ) and the hdd is a western digital 160gb ide. i dunno the model # off the top of my head. Also hp's newest realse bios doesnt support booting from a usb, so can anyone suggest a good way to figure out what bios is compatable?

Rockstar

Dicksmacker
as far as installing xp on the new hdd, you could get a SATA to PATA converter and install it that way...

after that maybe check the drivers.

ger87410

How did I get here?
I bet your drive crapped out.

U could boot to floppy... I'm not sure you can install XP from the USB. I can't think of any reason why U can't, but I've never heard of it.

Top Bottom