Ultimate recreational ski build up list...

95_waveraider_riverrunner

hobbies:lacrosse-n-ski's
I would just liek y'alls opinion on what to do to make an about perfect recreational skii (im 17, ride on the river, no surf here, just boat waves and flatwater) what would the build consist of? for a 1997 S/J roundnose.
hull
drivetrain
motor :Banane01:
prop and pump
nozzle
electrics
bilge pump
i want all of your opinions on this and dont forget the details
thanks again
Brian
:Banane01: :woot:

Snackem

Danger Zone
Ok I'm really new to this and have only used three different type of foot holds but the Blowsion Kickers were really nice. Keep in mind I have limited experience and exposure but I know that when I get a ski and build it up for freestyle that is what is going into my ski for sure.

meatball

User Title Unavailable
1997 roundnose

If your building up the ski, you should reinforce it, even though its probably not going to be needed for a while.

So, 9 oz on the bottom, 17 oz on the sides and nose, 2 layers 17 oz under the handlepole mount. When reinforcing on the sides, reinforce all the way to the lip.

Search for ski buildups and research where they reinforce, if its a surf boat, then assume you need at maximum half the reinforcing.

You already have a 62T engine to play with so you have a couple options, all which require tuning past stock.

B-pipe
ADA head at 175 psi (for pump gas 93 octane)
ported cylinders by Lehr Performance Watercraft
Possibly get the cases ported
Aftermarket impeller (13/16 or 13/15 with 3mm cutback by impros)
Could convert to a single 46-48mm carb instead of the duals for simplicity and better low hit
Electronics, most reliable is stock, but Im sure some will chime in Total Loss and MSD enhancer, but TL is expensive and finnicky, and MSD enhancers usually have a limited life
Might advance the timing a bit
Add footholds (Im gonna try and get the Waterdawg R.E.V. holds with the unique ankle cutout)
Keep the stock rideplate
Get a better intake grate (Worx 201 or R&D or similiar toploader grate)
Bilge pump, dual 500 atwoods is popular, although a single 750 atwood would do fine, I only have a single 360 RULE and it does its share

BUT!

If the thing your looking at works as is, then use it for the season, and then blow money on upgrades later. You'll have plenty of power to play with then, and not as much invested.

then you can learn how to ride and upgrade when you need it. Dont get into the I need it now syndrome. I have a 650, and unfortunately I may not be able to upgrade the engine because I need a car, but I still have plenty of fun.

Last edited:
Watercraft Factory Top Deck w/ meatballs suggested hull reinforcements plus:

# WF footholds
# WF texalium chinpad
# WF texalium
# D-cut ride plate
# WF stealth series 4-hold hood
# Xmetal pole, bracket, bars, hood locks all polished
# Xmetal resonator
# dual exhaust (WF custom rear side and Xmetal front)
# custom dual *magnetic* Xmetal scuppers

Magoo built 6mm Lamey PV 6mm stroker
* Solas concord 13/17
* Riva power bombs 48mm carbs
* carbon tech reeds
* msd enhancer
* dual bilge
* polished flywheel cover
* stainless battery tray
* Worx intake
* Pro-tec bored nozzle
* Rad flywheel
* MSD pro digital TL
* custom trim system

that set up is what basically won the Lanier Build-Off this year

Last edited:

meatball

User Title Unavailable
thats a really ambituous and nice build list, but I dont think he meant that by 'ultimate'

He's 17, and unless he's a lot richer then I, he nor I could afford something half that good.

But yes, that is just about the ultimate freeride ski.

My opinion, stay with stock this year, you're already making a huge change from sitdown to standup.

Waste Land

Non Multa Sed Multum
Footholds and Turf
Bars
Bpipe
ada head
13/15 3mm cutback impeller
MSD enhancer or mod the stocker

You dont need all that tons of stuff to get started....what i listed it enough to do BRs with and you arent even riding yet so yeah. I have some more play prettys but thats basically my engine setup...I will be rolling with it soon enough

cookerq62

Life's Been Good
listen to waste & meatball stick to the basics. I have bought crap everyone recomended and I don't need. I regret getting dual carb cases for running a single carb. I also wish I had gotten rec footholds rather then my 24-7's. Alot of stuff is personal preferance. Ride skis with holds b4 you buy them. Get a limiting rope and hood staps though. I can't tell you how many times I have tackled my handpole.

I would just liek y'alls opinion on what to do to make an about perfect recreational skii (im 17, ride on the river, no surf here, just boat waves and flatwater) what would the build consist of? for a 1997 S/J roundnose.
hull
drivetrain
motor :Banane01:
prop and pump
nozzle
electrics
bilge pump
i want all of your opinions on this and dont forget the details
thanks again
Brian
:Banane01: :woot:

are you planning on using the raider motor, pump & electrics?

do you have a lead on a '97?

Thanks, and meatball is right, this isnt a complete build skii costing 10's of thousands, i meant "ultimate" by what im gonna need for my sourroundigns and what i'll be doing, recreational, not surf riding or even the 4ft wave jumping. I just need somethin to carve around on and maybe jump some 2ft boat waves for fun... other than that its gonna be a carver and occasional trick. i think a budget of about $2000 for the skii and another $2000 for the mods, any more suggestions?
Brian

SFL, yeah... i found one here that is local for $1900, and im tryin to work out some stuff so i can get the money and work a deal with him and get it checked out before i buy it, also trying to get a test ride on it too.
Brian

$4000 will get you a very nice ride!

you can get a square with all the usual mods for about $2000.

$3000 will typically get you a well-modded round with stock pole and hood.

add another $1500 for a/m hood and pole

have you seen the ski in person?

how would someone know if they have 52 hours on a ski that didnt come with an hour meter?

i mean, i know how it can be done with a tinytach, but its unlikely. whenever someone tells me how many hours are on their standup, i usually raise the ol' :bs2:

i would ask him how he knows theres 52 hours on it. :dunno:

1900 is a great price especially for a fresh/flatwater roundnose as long as its not beat on. just look it over really well and i think you're doing pretty well.

there are a ton of things to link for when buying a used ski. do a search for buying a used ski and i'm sure you'll come up with plenty of things to look for.

good luck. :biggthumpup:

Last edited:
Top Bottom