Waterbox vs Silencer Backpressure?

So this has got me thinking, would there be a back pressure issue while running an inline silencer vs a waterbox? I need to order a SMALL waterbox or silencer soon and trying to decide.

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
Inline silencers are usually straight through in design whereas waterboxes usually make the exhaust gases make turns and or go through a series of chambers before it exits, the waterbox will have more backpressure.

Sanoman

thecolorpurple
Good question! l'm running just a silencer on my stunt,so l'll be interested to see what other opinion's will be..........

Sanoman

thecolorpurple
Inline silencers are usually straight through in design whereas waterboxes usually make the exhaust gases make turns and or go through a series of chambers before it exits, the waterbox will have more backpressure.

But will this cause a problem by just running a silencer or can something else be done to create more back pressure?

WFO Speedracer

but will this cause a problem by just running a silencer or can something else be done to create more back pressure?

a lot of that depends on where you decide to exit the exhaust, rear exhaust will have more backpressure than side exit exhaust, so if you are wanting to decrease noise and increase backpressure then run rear exhaust.

Sanoman

thecolorpurple
a lot of that depends on where you decide to exit the exhaust, rear exhaust will have more backpressure than side exit exhaust, so if you are wanting to decrease noise and increase backpressure then run rear exhaust.

Running rear exhaust.l'm glad that works out.

how much power will be lost through the silencer if running a rear exhaust? I cant really find any small enough water boxes, and Im running a 61x 701 I need all the power I can get.

A stock exhaust will benefit from a free flowing exhaust. A tuned pipe will not. Having too much pressure with a tuned pipe causes pistons to melt before any power is lost. When it comes to measuring back pressure its the peak pressure pulse that matters not the average. The stinger controls the peak pressure and the waterbox averages it out. You should use the largest can possible at the stock location. After that a smaller than stock hose can be ran out the back without issue. A piped twostroke can be made quieter than any other engine without loosing power.

Waternut

Customizing addict
A stock exhaust will benefit from a free flowing exhaust. A tuned pipe will not. Having too much pressure with a tuned pipe causes pistons to melt before any power is lost. When it comes to measuring back pressure its the peak pressure pulse that matters not the average. The stinger controls the peak pressure and the waterbox averages it out. You should use the largest can possible at the stock location. After that a smaller than stock hose can be ran out the back without issue. A piped twostroke can be made quieter than any other engine without loosing power.

I'm confused what you're actually getting at. Are you saying you should run more back pressure with a tuned pipe? I ran my 750 with rear exhaust and a FP pipe for a quick weekend without a waterbox because mine exploded. There was a very noticeable power loss with just a hose in place of the waterbox.

WFO Speedracer

At present I am running two skis without waterboxes, both have shown power increase and both have rear exhaust and inline resonators.

these skis are meant to have waterboxes. what he's saying is u will get the most power by actually having a water box just like the ski comes with. An aftermarket TDR or something may make a tad more power but its debatable. By running no waterbox you will lose power and its not how these skis are meant to be run. so go with the normal sized waterbox and an aftermarket pipe with dual exhaust for max power in my opinion

Tunes pipes need some internal pressure in order to work well. I know its counter intuitive, more restriction equals more power until the pistons melt. Where do you restrict flow to get the required pressure? Its best to do it at the stinger connected a larger hose connected to a can. This gives the most accurate pressure control and makes the rest of the system non critical. The ever popular "B" pipe has a large outlet and is designed to work with a restrictive stock waterbox. A long 2" hose with an inline silencer will make a lot of pressure in the pipe. A TDR style box kills the pressure wave and requires a smaller stinger installed for best performance. With this knowledge you can make the ski very quiet, no "bubba" exhaust required.

best of both worlds...
thats exactly what im looking at. The reason I have to get an inline silencer or a REALLY small waterbox is because this new hull im getting, the space is rather limited and need something tiny to fit behind the tank. I might just bid on this pjs inline silencer and see how it goes. Opinions seems varied.

Keep in mind I will ONLY be running this, not both.

What do you mean by “tuned pipe”?

Top Bottom