WB1 rear exhaust (Updated with install pics)

DCRocks

Wavejunkies
When installing a rear exhaust, does the outlet need to be below the water line?

Are there advantages to it being above or below the water line?

Last edited:

LBE

Eddie Would Go.
mine is out the back and below the waterline , I dont think it matters .even the originals are below the waterline

Ya.

Water will equalize in the tube, as long as the tube is higher than the water like (At the water box) it doesn't really matter where you put it.

Just don't do front exhaust!! So loud.

DCRocks

Wavejunkies
Is it worth it to put rear exhaust in or does it weaken the transom to much?

Well, at the same time I am installing the exhaust, I am reinforcing the transom, so I think the end result is a far stronger transom.

I cut the back open for the reinforcement, and the exhaust move was secondary, and done mostly to keep my pump area clean. Figured as long as I had the back cut open, it was the time to move the exhaust as well.

I've never seen one crack

Last time I was out riding with the wavejunkies, Luckie cracked the transom of his Blaster, and at Wavedaze, my buddy cracked open the rear of his ZXI, so I have seen it happen before.

I have had the Riva rear exhaust set up in a couple of my surf blasters and wouldn't recommend it for jumping surf. I actually reglassed and moved it back to stock. It absolutely weakens the transom...even if reinforced...one side is weaker than the other. And the rivets fail often in surf use.

Also, when landing hard on the transom the waterbox has the opportunity to take in more water than the stock set up....more of a direct path for the water to flow...creating a waterbox with water in it...when you want it dry!

JMHO...buddy of mine has duals coming out the back on his B1...looks sweeeet!

DCRocks

Wavejunkies
It absolutely weakens the transom...even if reinforced...one side is weaker than the other.

Given a very good reinforcement, I am not sure how much weaker it makes the transom. Espically with an additional layer or two of 17oz biaz, in a patch over the new exhaust hole, to suppliment the original reinforcement.

And the rivets fail often in surf use.

This was one of the things that concerned me. I made a back plate for the exhaust tube and will connect the two sides with stainless teeel bolts. Still, I am trying to decide if I should glass it in, or use 5200 to seal it up.

DCRocks

Wavejunkies
Here are the pics of the install

Disc for this post:

The final mod of the SN SJ Exhaust Tube
The inner bracket I made from Alum Stock
The pipe fit before sealing with bolts, backplate and 5200
The pipe after sealing with bolts, backplate and 5200
Image of where the original length goes to for reference

Attachments

• exhaust_01.jpg
    exhaust_01.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 53
  • exhaust_02.jpg
    exhaust_02.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 33
  • exhaust_03.jpg
    exhaust_03.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 41
  • exhaust_04.jpg
    exhaust_04.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 51
  • exhaust_05.jpg
    exhaust_05.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 41

DCRocks

Wavejunkies
Disc for this post:

Hole cut in Transon
Test Fit
Final Install

Attachments

• exhaust_08.jpg
    exhaust_08.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 37
  • exhaust_09.jpg
    exhaust_09.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 41
  • exhaust_10.jpg
    exhaust_10.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 51

shepster

Living the dream!
Here is how mine turned out:

2dih9v7.jpg

xbn0xh.jpg

Last edited:
coming from superjets...it makes most sense to run 1 or 2 exhaust outlets out the rear sides. This allows less water to be shoved up the pipe while landing and keeps the rear all one peice of fiberglass with no holes, therefore much stronger. Also while you are hacking on your ski...get rid of the rear lip where the bumper trim stuff goes. That is a very weak spot on blasters and is easy to make flush.

Top Bottom