Super Jet what is likely source of leak?

Hi - My question regards what are likely ways water is getting into the back chamber under the deck.

Some info as context for my question:

Please see the attached picture of the back of my superjet (sj700 roundnose circa 1994-1996). I got it a few years back. I believe all the foam was removed from the chamber in question; and this before I had it. You may note that shortly after I got the ski, I replaced the two drain plugs with some one way type plugs (with the little ball float stoppers inside).
l did this because I noticed that after even a pretty short session when I removed the old drain plugs there would be quite a lot of water that would drain out. The one way type have seemed to help as at the end of a session there is some water but not much to drain. Still it has bothered me as to how water is getting in there, so the other day I tried some experiments:
- first, while up on a lift, (after blocking the opening to the engine compartment drain scupper), I filled the engine compartment with water and watched for water coming out the back drains; very very little did - there might be some tiny leaks but nothing that can account for the amount that seems the be getting into the back.
- next, I blocked off the engine compartment drain scupper at the back, the exhaust opening, and both of the one way drain plugs, then lowered the ski into the water. After 5 or 10 minutes I brought it back up and unplugged the drains - quite a bit of water ran out.

Somehow water is getting in even without the pump running. When I look in around the grate and pump area I cannot see any obvious holes or cracks.

What is likely, or even possible, way for water to be getting in there? Is there anything that can be done? Is it even worth worrying about?

btw - in the picture, you may be able to see about a two inch circular indentation into to the side of the hull about 5 inches from the back on the right side of the nozzle (I turned the nozzle so it was a bit more visible) - what is that thing? Maybe something left over from a previous configuration; maybe before the engine and pipe mods? In any case it seems to be sealed but it is hard to tell without pulling stuff off. I blocked it off with duct tape for the tests.

Any thoughts or help appreciated!

A1EAFA64-D0CB-40DA-A55B-384A433B1C66.jpeg

Last edited:

smoofers

Rockin' the SQUARE!!!!
Site Supporter
There's quite a few spots it could be leaking from. The first spots I would check are the ride plate and pump bolt inserts. It'd be a pain to remove but you could always pull those bolts and put some silicone in the holes and reinstall the bolts.

They didn't build them with much care. Its common to find voids in glue joints. I found all my leaks by applying light vacuum and pressure. Drill a tiny hole above the exhaust outlet level with the tray, there is usually a void in the foam there. You can use a bit of vacuum and listen for leaks. You can add positive pressure and use soapy water, just be careful and use very little pressure. Like 1-2 psi.

john zigler

Vendor Account
The 2" hole on the right in your pump area is not stock. As said leaks can come from many places, plus you have added areas for problems. Could be your scupper, what ever that 2" hole is, ride plate bolts, drains, exh tube, drive shaft tube, etc.

With the ball drains you added, any water leaking into tray is draining right out while riding, so that’s good.

I run those drains as well, I temporarily capped mine off and rode and some water still gets into the tray, but it really doesn’t matter since it drains out the drains normally.

However those ball drains back flow water into the tray in the no wake zones. So when I go thru no wake zone and get back to the ramp the ski is lisping. Once on trailer water drains for quite awhile out those ball drains...
Which if I didn’t know they beck flowed I’d think I Had large leak somewhere.

You’ve got a leak, you’ve got drains to keep it dry while riding. I’d think kicking that big project to winter time and ride would be the way to go... good luck

Top Bottom