What's up with my waterbox?

I've been ripping apart my ski (701 RN SJ) to get ready for paint for the last month so I haven't had a chance to spend much time on X-H2O. I came across something strange, and I'm not too sure if I should spend much time worrying about it; when I pulled out the aluminum waterbox, I noticed that something inside was rattling around. First dumb question: I'm assuming this is not normal? It definetly is not something small (ie. like a washer or small nut/bolt). It sounds like it could be something metallic and the size of a large marble (or even bigger)?? Is this common, and could it be an internal baffle that has broken loose? I cannot shake it out of there no-matter how I rotate the waterbox. Is it worth my while cutting the unit open and investigating & welding back together??? I don't know anything about these waterboxes, but do they have a flapper inside them to prevent water from siphoning back into the pipe? (if so, maybe this is what is loose).
Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions.

SUPERJET-113

GASKETS FOR CHAMP BRAP!
Site Supporter
Its probable that a baffle came loose. I had a problem once and it was a baffle in the waterbox that came loose and every once in awhile it would partially plug the exhaust outlet area and the ski would run like crap. It was a hard diagnosis to find! So be glad you found it this way.

I would replace it or have it cut open and repaired, but it would probably be cheaper to replace IMO.

Last edited:

SuperJETT

So long and thanks for all the fish
I had the same problem, both tube baffles had broken loose, I cut it open, had everything welded up properly, and they are loose again.

As long as they don't block flow (based on how they are built inside, it's hard for them to) I would just run it. It will be a little louder, but work.

Keith

Landlocked
I have been told that aluminum is a rather pourous(sp) metal. It will absorbe the oil mixed in your gas. Once this happens rewelding it really isnt an option. It will break again. Others will argue but this is what I have been told.

I had one do the same thing. It is a little louder but not too bad. I replaced mine because the noise bothered me.

There are pictures of the inside of my water box floating around on this site or the other site of what the inside of a round nose box looks like if you are interested.

Stop by a welding shop and ask what it would cost to weld it back after you cut it open and REMOVE the baffels. I have a shop that they will weld anything and guarantee that it will hold. They only charge $20 for a waterbox since the welds don't have to look great they use a mig gun which is quicker.

Thanks for the advice. I am not ready to re-assemble the ski for a few weeks so I will keep an eye out for a new/used waterbox. In the meantime, I think that I will cut the unit open along the center weld and investigate. (I'll try to post some pics so that everyone can see the inside). I may have access to a guy who does mig/tig welding, so my question goes to Speedfreak; what are the consequences of removing the baffle tubes? I'm assuming it will be much louder, every post I read indicates that I will not increase power, and my main concern is, will water siphon back towards the engine more easily? Thanks again & Happy New Year!

I heard a few skis with gutted waterboxes and the sound isn't that much louder but sorta a deeper growl. Like putting slip-ons on a street bike. The ski I just bought has a gutted waterbox. I hope and assume since there is a weld just beside the original weld all the way around the box. I havn't rode this ski so I don't know about the power or sound since both of my skis are so different they can't be compared.

But about the water the inlet tubes and outlet tube doesn't move so the water exacuation from the box will be the same just the exhaust won't have to travel through the baffels to get to the outlet of the the box. Also a waterbox doesn't keep water from returning to the engine. The exhaust tube is higher on both sides of the water box so water would have to run above the water line to get to the waterbox then it would have to do the same thing again as it went backwards through the pipe.

Also I don't know how it wouldn't increase the power... on top end yes but low end or midrange the I can't say that it would help maybe a tiny amount but I don't know. I know that a lot of people say that it wouldn't but if you take a restriction out of the exhaust then there would have to be less back pressure. I know that back pressure is good at the pipe but after the pipe then get rid of it.

dont 2 stroke motors build the majority of their power off of backpressure?

Yes the sounds waves in the pipe but after the pipe the exhaust is just used as an exit. There are a few people on here that run without a waterbox and claim that there is a ton more top end to achieve without a waterbox. Heck I think superramjet (I think that is his name) He runs the 1000 or 1200cc 66E xjet for freestyle without a waterbox.

A friend of mine cut my waterbox open, and sure enough, one of the tubes was completely broken off and the other had stress cracks around it. I'll try to post pics but not sure it will work (first time adding attachments). I can't believe how much of a restriction the baffle plate makes, so I tend to believe "Speedfreak" when he says that going gutted will increase power. My concern then would be excess noise. Decisions, decisions; what to do?

P1040442.JPG

P1040443.jpg

P1040444.jpg

P1040445.jpg

I don't know how big a hurry your in but I will check mine out this weekend and if it is gutted. If it is then good but If not then gut yours and then see if it too loud and if you don't like the noise then I will trade you for mine.

My ski is all apart so I can't see how loud mine will be but if you are still riding or have ours close to running then check it out and let me know...

As they say.... Loud pipes save lives...or If it's too Loud your too Old. I can't think of any more right now pro loud exhaust but I don't think I have ever heard one about making it quite.

Top Bottom