Will a 62T work in place of a 61X CDI?

Just like the title says. A buddy loaned me his 62t cdi until my other gets in but my stock cdi is 61x. Will that work?

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
The enhancers work in everything from a 650 to a 760 so yes, but there is one wire that needs a male instead of a female plug or vise versa. I think it's the white w/red stripe. Other than that you are good to go. The enhancers come with a proper jumper with waterproof connectors already for just this purpose.

Why then, wouldn't an Advent CDI work with either stator? According to them, the 61X has stator timing 7° more retarded which their CDI's must be adjusted to compensate for. Their CDI's can work with either but must be reprogrammed by them for either 61X or 62T. The stock CDI may 'work' when swapped but they say the timing will also be off.

Some info I found searching:
Here's some interesting info from SJmaster I saved from a while back:

Yamaha CDi flywheel stator info

6M6 box (650 models) 6500-6600 limiter works on 61x system
61x box (701 94/95) 7050-7150 limiter works on 650s but not 62T systems
62T box (701 96+) 7050-7150 limiter works only on 62T systems

SJ Master: I have extensively tested the 61X and 62T on our engine simulation machine. If a 61X and 62T CDI are operated on the same stator, the outputs (high voltage) at any given rpm is about the same. The same cannot be said if the CDIs are used with thier respective stators. The 62T has an increased output up to around 2500, then about the same as the 61X up to the rev limit, which varies slightly. I have unpotted a few of these, and the general circuit trace layout appears to be about the same, but the component values and tolerances seem to vary regardless of generation.

I believe the increased output of the 62T is mostly due to the beefed up charge coil and stronger magnets, and not any difference in CDI design.

You can convert any motor to either system, as long as matching flywheels are used, as the 61X is smaller in diameter.

It is interesting to note (for good starting performance) that the 62T setup generates a nice health spark with a quick low torque hand spin of the flywheel (on the stator machine), in less than one revolution, and the 61X always requires a much more forceful spin to even get the first spark, which is visable less powerful on the calibrated spark gap (6mm), which usually occures in at least one revolution, sometimes more.

Last edited:
Top Bottom