Will this hurt the pole?

I bought my second standup on monday and I jumped into the 44 degree lake with it yesterday. I did go down a few times and still have a habit from last year I thought may be an issue. When I go down I usually know its coming and I hit the kill switch as I go under but I have been holding onto my pole so the ski stays with me. Other then being bad for my shoulder could this overtime damage the handpole or the mounting bracket for it? I completely forgot last year I did this but did it automaticaly the first time I dunked it yesterday.
Thanks for any opinions
Mike

I don't think ever let go of the bars. I use my hands at work so forearm strength is pretty decent. I don't even let go if I (yardsale it:biggrin: ) at WOT.

I don't think you could hurt a pole or bracket unless you do a big sub and hyperextend it and then it just snaps the pole off.

Last edited:

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
i like to see how many times i can skip my body across the water,so i always let go.

I absolutely dread that feeling, when you're blasting across the lake WOT and it gets loose and you know whats coming but you cannot slow down as you go flailing off your ski and skip across the water. Everybody else thinks your dead.

Mouthfulloflake

ISJWTA member #2
I almost always hold on as well, but that has caused cracks on my boats around the pole mounting bracket and in a stock squarenose pole as well.

holding on, but haveing some reinforcments, and a limiting rope is the best plan!

sjetrider

615 Freeriders are addicted to T1 madness.
If you let go airborn it is potentially worse for your pole and the rest of the ski too. If just a flatwater speed crash then no problem for boat to let go or hang on I wouldnt think.

Dirtybird

Ex*ta*ski
Not necessarily. You can bail WOT and still hang on. You just end up getting dragged on your back like a barefooter.:biggrin:

You forgot. I own a Kawi SXI When the bitch getsa chine walking you go one way 10 feet and the ski goes the other way 10 feet, there is no hanging on :haha:

meatball

User Title Unavailable
Only way I've seen pole break (and from my experience) is from the vertical stresses (like the pole slamming down hard against the pad, like if you ditch from a high jump), I have seen them break from left to right (or visa versa) stresses. I say hold on, I always did on my old sqaure, and stress cracks formed, but it was from slamming the pole on the pad.

Top Bottom