With right ski, backflip should be doable with time, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, I want to acknowledge that I may come across at times as being "all over the place" so for that minority, apologies in advance for annoying or offending you by this question. On the other hand, its not mandatory to read my threads…

In all honesty, I have learned a lot from the site even though I still suck at riding and am at best a beginner. Having said that, I want to change my beginner status and definitely will be buying a new ski. My current question is really based on the aforementioned input I have received thus far on this site which has me taking a few more things serious before dropping bucks using my current cash and/or retirement fund.

You all have me convinced that a backflip may in fact not be so easy to do. I am confident I can still do it (I assume its mostly mental with the right ski) but I have been wrong before so who knows. Anyway…before I kid myself into thinking that just because I have a powerful ski I can by default do a flip, I want to know how many of you have created a “backflip-worthy ski” and still can't pull it off. I am sure with time, if the ski can do it so will you since its just practice, but I do worry I too could spend money and not be able to achieve this goal as quickly as I imagine.

So I know a 440…or 550 is just plain dumb towards this goal but I still maintain that with a proper 900+ it should be doable, but am trying to be open minded that it isn’t as easy as I think.

I have built a back flip worthy ski and still can not flip myself. Others have flipped it, and my last 2 setups in previous hulls have been the same. I thought for sure this summer I would have gotten more ride time in and have finally learned to flip. This summer I spent most of my time remodeling the shop and then designing our new hull to be debuted at world finals. So yes, just because the ski is worthy it does not make you able to flip by default. Prepare to spend 20,000.00 plus putting together a back flip worthy ski.

I have built a back flip worthy ski and still can not flip myself. Others have flipped it, and my last 2 setups in previous hulls have been the same. I thought for sure this summer I would have gotten more ride time in and have finally learned to flip. This summer I spent most of my time remodeling the shop and then designing our new hull to be debuted at world finals. So yes, just because the ski is worthy it does not make you able to flip by default. Prepare to spend 20,000.00 plus putting together a back flip worthy ski.

thanks...that was my assumption (i.e., the ~$20k marK) and wow, your point is well taken. I guess worst case scenario is even if i couldnt pull off the flip, i would look good hanging out and perhaps the chicks (hopefully not as dumb as the ex) might think I am worthy regardless.

Mike, what is your budget? also am I right in assuming you mean flatwater flip, or are you content with a boat wake flip, or surf flip?
budget is flexible, in theory (per retirement fund) but...the reality check may have me thinking otherwise and could save me money. It may not save you all from reading more of my threads but could save me money at least

and i suppose i meant relative to flatwater and not a boat wake. I think a boat wake wouldnt give me the satisfaction the same way (not that i could even do that...but still)

and i am afraid to even mention this since more flames might come my way...but i live walking distance to a marina and could keep a ski in a slip or a friends slip and use for ocean duty??? though i know thats a whole other issue, but the convenience sure would be there

Agreed just because you have the ski doesn't mean you have the skill.

You have have had this backflip bug up your ass for like a week now and we still don't have an answer as to whether you want to do a flatwater flip, a surf flip, or off of a boat wake?

I have more than 12k into my surf ski and I can flip it in surf. I can almost nose it in on a flatwater attempt, it will take another 6-9k to complete the flatwater flip im sure.

with big enough balls you can flip anything in the surf

Jon

Agreed just because you have the ski doesn't mean you have the skill.

You have have had this backflip bug up your ass for like a week now and we still don't have an answer as to whether you want to do a flatwater flip, a surf flip, or off of a boat wake?

I have more than 12k into my surf ski and I can flip it in surf. I can almost nose it in on a flatwater attempt, it will take another 6-9k to complete the flatwater flip im sure.

with big enough balls you can flip anything in the surf

Jon

sorry...yeah, flatwater since i think that has the most street cred. i think if i even could pull off a boat wake it just wouldnt feel like i really did one

and wow...that is a LOT of extra money for the flatwater goal, that is a surprise though i of course believe you

eastcoastjumper

James
Site Supporter
There's no way you are dumb enough to leave a 20k+ ski in a marina boat slip. That thing would be corroded garbage in a season.

Get a superjet and work your way up from the bottom like the rest of us. You're not getting any "street cred" buying your way into this sport.

In fact you might just become the biggest poser on the X

There's no way you are dumb enough to leave a 20k+ ski in a marina boat slip. That thing would be corroded garbage in a season.

Get a superjet and work your way up from the bottom like the rest of us. You're not getting any "street cred" buying your way into this sport.

In fact you might just become the biggest poser on the X

yeah, i didnt mean i would get a $20k ski if i were to opt to focus on ocean riding, thats a different approach i would take and i would follow your advice in that case.

as for being the biggest poser on the X, wouldnt that in and of itself be quite an accomplishment?

Are you just trying to flip for the street cred and the chicks? If you have no street cred now and no chicks, I don't think being able to flip a jetski is going to help you any, sorry, but it's the truth.

no, i really do want to pull one off. the street cred i know would only come with time but perhaps if i got better then at least the newbies would be impressed. As for the chicks, I will take what I can get and probably to some extent they are motivating me to pull off a backflip.

You need balls, money, and skill. 2 out of the 3 won't cut it.
I agree 100% actually

However, I know I have the balls (often mistaken for stupidity) and can figure out a way to get the money, and while I don't currently have it, the whole point would be to get to that skill level i just want to make sure when i do start riding at an advanced level the ski can keep up and allow me to do the right tricks

tightithrash

Zack Bright. I Thrash.
Site Supporter
Spend 1k on a SN superjet and flip it on the surf.

Or take your retirement fund and buy a 20k flatwater boat that might not even do a lame ass flatwater flip.

People don't even care about a flip unless your doing it into a 360, into a underflip, into a goat choker.

Spend 1k of your 20k and launch 25' into a backflip then spend the 19 extra on hookers and blow.

Spend 1k on a SN superjet and flip it on the surf.

Or take your retirement fund and buy a 20k flatwater boat that might not even do a lame ass flatwater flip.

People don't even care about a flip unless your doing it into a 360, into a underflip, into a goat choker.

Spend 1k of your 20k and launch 25' into a backflip then spend the 19 extra on hookers and blow.

thanks for the advice, it makes sense actually.

though i don't know what a goat choker is...does that have something to do with your recommendation I get hookers?

550/440

Maybe I'll get it all the way around NEXT time....
Yeah, you gotta do the goat choker for the win. Nothing else will even turn heads anymore.

Don't sell your future short just to pull a backie. Leave the retirement where it sits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom