WTF Engine wont start!

So when summer came to an end i thought that I would add some new features to my SJ 2007. Hood, Nose, New XMetal Pole(Eventually)Brap Strap,New Start/Stop (because I accidentally broke the last one) and steering system. Anyways I took the gas tank out and battery box along with replaced all my hoses with blue ones(I was bored).

Anyways, haven't started my ski for about a month now so I thought I would plug in the battery quickly/ throw in the gas tank and give it a try...... NOTHING! All I get is a weird "click" noise and THATS IT! The negine is not even turning and I check fuses! WTF a simple rebuild leads to this lol

HHHHHEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLP! What happened?

Thanks!

Waternut

Customizing addict
Sounds like the starter solenoid is working but no power is going to the starter. Check the positive and negative cables going to the starter.

The Start/ Stop is brand new and I heard it reacting with a "click" noise. However, I did not disconnect and electrical from the ski at all! just the tank and battery... This might sound dumb, but the gas lines are all empty at the time but that has nothing to do with the engine turning over right. I should still hear it try to start even though there is no gas really in the lines since there new.

snowxr

V watch your daughters V
Check your battery cables and the one going to the starter. I suspect that you may not have a good connection somewhere, or a cable could be broke inside the insulation. While you're at it, turn the crank by hand to be sure it's not rusted up.

Waternut

Customizing addict
Check your battery cables and the one going to the starter. I suspect that you may not have a good connection somewhere, or a cable could be broke inside the insulation. While you're at it, turn the crank by hand to be sure it's not rusted up.

Just in case it's not obvious... make sure you pull the spark plugs before you try turning it by hand or you won't get very far unless you're just a diesel machine.

Lol yea ill try turning it later... I cleaned it great since the last time I started it- salt x'd the entire ski, even filled it with that stuff and water a few times... I just don't get it! Did expect this to happen!

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Lol yea ill try turning it later... I cleaned it great since the last time I started it- salt x'd the entire ski, even filled it with that stuff and water a few times... I just don't get it! Did expect this to happen!

You filled the engine bay with water? :confused:

It's possible that you waterlocked the motor.
Remove the plugs and try turning the engine by hand.

Positive its not the Battery I tried 2!

What exactly is a solenoid and how the hell do they happen? lol

Honestly I never did anything different at the end of this summer as I did of any in the past so i just don't get it...

When i say fill I do not mean the entire compartment....maybe 3-4 inches and washed well, I do it like that after every use and never have a problem. But, I did start it maybe a day or so after I washed it down so if water did get in the engine somehow it would not have started then.

Waternut

Customizing addict
The solenoid is inside the e-box. It's about a 1" square with two big positive wires going to it. Connect the two leads with a screwdriver (with a plastic or rubber handle) or a big wire. If the engine turns over, it's the solenoid. If the engine doesn't turn over, then your starter or your positive/negative wires to the starter are bad. I'm betting the wires or the starter though if you're hearing clicking noises of any kind.

Penken

whoomp there it is!
i had this problem when i put everythin back in my ski after reinforcing.
at the push of the green button it would click and no more. i just freshed up the connectors on the battery. turns out it was a bad ground and now it works fine :)

i had this problem when i put everythin back in my ski after reinforcing.
at the push of the green button it would click and no more. i just freshed up the connectors on the battery. turns out it was a bad ground and now it works fine :)

Really... I tried changing the batteries from a different ski and it still didnt work? Where exactly is the ground and how exactly did you "freshin" up the connectors so I can try that?

Thanks

Just in case it's not obvious... make sure you pull the spark plugs before you try turning it by hand or you won't get very far unless you're just a diesel machine.

Did what you said, everything turned fine and clean after removing the spark plugs.... STILL NOTHING! Maybe the Start/Stop is bad?????

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
If you hear a click when you press start, the start/stop switch is fine.
First, make sure that the black cable going from the negative terminal of the battery is fastened securely to the batter terminal and to the back end of the starter.
If you have a voltmeter/DMM, measure the resistance from the negative battery terminal to the engine block.
After all that checks out, I would open up the ebox, disconnect the red cable going to the starter from the relay, and briefly touch that cable directly to the positive terminal of the battery. If the starter doesn't turn that way, you have a bad starter.

Top Bottom