300/440/550 x2 or sx?

Never ridden an x2, but have ridden a 300sx and love it. I have a chance to buy an x2 or a 650SX in about the same condition for about the same money. What are the pros and cons of each model? What is an x2 like to ride? What would you guys do if you were me? I know - buy a superjet blah blah blah

Why?

Ok - X2 - why? what makes it better? I've got a couch that I usually ride standing up, but prefer standing on a stand-up. To me the x2 looks like a love seat instead of a couch. And it is supposed to be a high in the 20's today and get colder this week, so taking a ride to see which I prefer is out of the question. Obviously you guys love the X2, I just want to know why.

3wheelerdude

Talk less, Ride more!
You will enjoy the X2 much more. It not a stable ride even if its got a seat.
The SX feels too much like a boat and is limited as far as capabilities. This is where the X2 will carve like a gocart on rails if you learn to lean it in the corners, it will jump like a SJ with very little mods and you can slide it around all day long without getting tired of it.
The X2 is simply a better / more enjoyable machine.
You will need some learning time on the X2 but you wont regret it. My opinion!

Wilke

X2 stole my life
Ok - X2 - why? what makes it better? I've got a couch that I usually ride standing up, but prefer standing on a stand-up. To me the x2 looks like a love seat instead of a couch. And it is supposed to be a high in the 20's today and get colder this week, so taking a ride to see which I prefer is out of the question. Obviously you guys love the X2, I just want to know why.

Not even close in comparision to a couch. You might as well disregaurd the seat on an X2, noone ever rides sitting down, its more of a knee pad. Plus an X2 weighs at least 80lbs+ less than any couch you'll ever ride even a b1, even weighs less than alot of standups. And the footprint of the X2 is the same size as a standup. I have both an X2 and SX, I never ride the SX.

Ok - sounds like the X2 it is. That many adamant people can't be totally wrong (I hope). Of course, Obama did get elected.... (sorry - couldn't resist. Please don't lecture me on the evils of republicans and the Bush administration etc etc.) Thanks everybody for your input. I really do appreciate it.

professor961

Selling all X2 and 650 parts - message me!
The 650SX is just a stand up, and was not really a successfull model at that.
The short production run is a testament to that.
The X2 on the other hand, was produced from 1986 to 1995, and has a faithful following. The tricks you can do, and the riding style of the X2 makes it a unique experience. It's like Jeep or Harley Davidson, if we had to explain, you would not understand. There is no quesiton between an X2 and a 650SX. Buy the X2.

Prof

dbrutherford

Parts Whore
Yeah I had a 650 SX years back and dumped a bunch of money into it trying to make is an SXi Pro (this was before SXR's). Needless to say it still sucked and wasn't that great of a ski. I ended up parting it out.

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
The only thing the SX has going for it is light weight,that is once you ditch the heavy a$$ handlepole SX's can be cool but they are a lot of work,this SX in the pic below should be the coolest SX's in the South when I am done.I would not recommend following my lead,thats an A$$load of work right there.

Attachments

• SX.jpg
    SX.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 78

the WaTeRhAwK

fryin' up a/m electrics..
The only thing the SX has going for it is light weight,that is once you ditch the heavy a$$ handlepole SX's can be cool but they are a lot of work,this SX in the pic below should be the coolest SX's in the South when I am done.I would not recommend following my lead,thats an A$$load of work right there.

shouldn't the footstraps be farther forward? of maybe an extra set in that location?

upstand2

upstand2
Well let me go against the grain here. If it's your only ski , I say 650sx. Why , because in my opinion it's more "fun" because it's a true stand-up although many will point out not a very successful one. But if you do the now standard X2 mods , redesign hull , steering , 750 swap your gonna have one bad mofo.
Stock vs Stock a SX is lighter and faster than an X2. Sx's porpoise but X2's plow. Both need correction. You probaly can ride an X2 faster but it's wider and has fixed steering , aka easier. X2's have a strong following , heck I even have one , swapped the engine out of my 650sx into it. I needed a new hull. So pick your poison , you can't go wrong.

dbrutherford

Parts Whore
WFO has an X2 and a few other stand ups as well. He likes to do things a little differently then the rest of the crowd. I think a flat deck is a great idea, why not do it to a 650 SX, they are a dime a dozen.

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
Yes this one was free,it was ugly and had no redeeming qualities whatsoever,anything that you can do to a stock 650SX is an improvement,those things were total pigs in stock trim.

upstand2

upstand2
as x2's were. 750's killed the 650sx. X2's were nearly wiped off the face of the earth by Blasters.

Last edited:
Top Bottom