300/440/550 X2 Questions

Sup, I just got an '88 X2. Runs good, but I seem to be having a problem with water. I keep getting loads of water into my hull, especially when i sub it. I looked at the hood and the scoop looks aas if it directs the water right into the hull (assuming for air to go in not water). I was thinking about closeing it up or covering it some how, but i didnt know how much air movement you need into the hull. Also I have a '91 VXR that I was thinking about an engine swat to the X2 but I am not sure what differences they will have, and problems I would encounter. What is everyones thoughts. Thanks. ~Jamie

Ohh also, what do you use for the handle bars. right now it has the stock setup with the adjustment for high low or forward, but all three positions are loose and dont hold the bars steady. I would want to replace the handlebar mount and the bars themselves, but I dont know what to look for. any suggestions? thanks. cheers

amemoryoncelost

X2/SNsj
As far as replacing the bars and steering setup. If you can find an accusteer system, worth every penny. It's what I have and have been VERY happy. The other setup is the UMI, probably just as good, just no personal experience. As far as bars go, any atv/mx bar will work. So figure out which steering setup you want and then go for height from there. I know my accusteer was an inch lower or so.

If you don't have the money to blow, as the steering setup can put you back at least $100, usually more towards $175, some people have drilled the knob out and put a big bolt through to leave it adjusted in one spot. That's how mine was when I got it, still too much play though.

hope that helps a little. About the water, mine doesn't get a ton of water, even with sub after sub, maybe mine was modded and I dn't know about it, but I seem to be alright with water, fingers crossed at least..

BlueBreadTruck

X-2? Yes please
main water leaks are the hood seal and the driveshaft bearings where it enters the hull. the 88' has a better system then the 86' hood and should be fine. the easiest swap is to a kawasaki 750.....but anything can be made to fit with fabrication

groaty

X2 JUNKIE!!!!
if you ride in the salt water you need to make sure you get aluminum bars and not steel. the steel bars will rust from within and get weak which will lead to them snaping on you when you least expect it.
for the water assuming its all coming in from subs and such and not failed parts or hull then i recommend a bilge pump with a handle bar mounted switch. i have them on all my skis so when i start subing my ski i turn the bilge on so any water that gets into the hull is pumped out.

Snackem

Danger Zone
every X2 NEEDS a good bilge. I have a 93 with two 750 gph bilge pumps in there. They all have a huge problem w/ water ingestion. There are a bunch of X2 build threads on here with great hood mods (Legdrag Pete has an excellent one on www.pwctoday and Crab has a very good thread in the ski build up section here on the X). Don't cover up the air/water intake on the hood until you get another air intake put in.

3wheelerdude

Talk less, Ride more!
For the steering, if your anywhere over 5'5 you'll want to use bars that will be higher than stock. Your back will thank you later. Being 6'2, I used bars for enduro motox since they sit muc higher than mx bars.

And has mentionned above: bilge pump is easy and mandatory. I personnaly use an 800gph and works fine for me.

professor961

Selling all X2 and 650 parts - message me!
I pretty much agree with everything said here. The stock handlebars on the X2 are roach. Replacing them with ATV bars of a bend and height you like is a great improvement.
My 87 X2 has a rule 500 bilge pump and it gets a workout. Water is ingested in great amounts. My 93 X2 stays bone dry, and although I have a rule 360 installed, I have never used it. I believe the better hood seal on the later models is one big improvement.....

Prof

I am working on the bilge now. I am looking at a 500 pump. Also I was out running it on Friday, and broke the throttle cable. Any suggestions as to were to find one? I looked at my hood seal and it is pulling up on the rear right side. What are you using to keep them in place? thanks to all.

Crab

thanks darin...noswad!
I am working on the bilge now. I am looking at a 500 pump. Also I was out running it on Friday, and broke the throttle cable. Any suggestions as to were to find one? I looked at my hood seal and it is pulling up on the rear right side. What are you using to keep them in place? thanks to all.
I have had the best luck with GOOP for the hood seal, throttle cables are usually on ebay.

Fletch

AKA Gordon Liddy...
Check your bearing housing on the bulkhead, Guarantee the rubber is cracked. If your hood seal is good, that's the only other place a large amount of water can enter.

I have a new bearign housing and a set of UMI X-2 bars for sale. If you;re interested in either, shoot me a PM for details.

-F

Top Bottom