yamaslut hoodmod

chrisdoc0608

insulting
im abt to do this, in the process of ordering the resin and fiberglass. just wanted to know is there anything else i could use to replace the hood liner other than making it out of fiberglass? i will if i have to, but if i can buy a rectangular peice of something from lowes or somewhere and just cut it to fit and put epoxy and fiberglass around it to seal it would be alot easier and less time consuming.
thanks in advance for the help.

BombThreat

'Diggity
Im just about done with this mod and was thinking the same thing about the main liner... After the fact of making one out of fliberglass cloth. Where I work we use sheets of fanolic (sp?) the scrap is about 1/8" thick and way tougher then any fiberglass sheeting that size... if you guy are intrested i can get some and take pictures...

chrisdoc0608

insulting
yes take pics... anything that i could just buy and cut to size would make life ALOT easier especialy when it will look cleaner than the one that i make prob. would lol.

BombThreat

'Diggity
Alright guys, Monday I'll get some... This stuff is really hard but flex's a bit like fiberglass does. Although I dont know how well it will cut with hometools... we have highspeed saws at work.

tor*p*do

Squarenose FTW
Site Supporter
Im just about done with this mod and was thinking the same thing about the main liner... After the fact of making one out of fliberglass cloth. Where I work we use sheets of fanolic (sp?) the scrap is about 1/8" thick and way tougher then any fiberglass sheeting that size... if you guy are intrested i can get some and take pictures...

probably a phenolic resin :biggthumpup:

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
I just did the very same thing.....I Had a bunch of glass and resin, so I layed up three sheets on an old screendoor (glass). Very light.
I'll post pics.

Kaveman

Born in USA(not Kenya)
Used to be a place here in Fort Worth Tx called cadilac plastics. They had a very strong lightweight ABS that I have made liners for four different hoods. Devcon makes a two part epoxy that is very similar to what Yamaha uses to fuse the deck to the hull. Works great or 3m 5200 fast cure also works well and is cheaper as you don't have to purchase the dispenser gun like with the Devcon. Check your local yellow pages under plastic. For the adhesive check an automotive paint supplier for the Devcon or a home improvement store for the 5200. If you use the 5200 be sure to get the RED package with the fast cure, takes about 24 hours to fully cure. The blue package is the slow cure and takes about 7-14 days to fully cure.

FRB board from home depot its used in the showers its a fiberglass sheet that comes in a 4x8 sheet its white and smooth on one side and textured on the other i think its about 15 bucks a sheet. its in the bathroom section

C-Rock87

Water Junky
looked for frb board, none to be found.... is it made of fiberglass???

yes, it's dark grey and completely smooth on one side and almost gator skin

textured bright white on the other. lowe's carries it also. i looked at it a

couple weeks ago and i might use it if i don't find something i like more.

Top Bottom