Help Octane Problems

Help please I amn not familiar with the octanes have always ran kawi. I had a faulty circuit breaker in the e box which I replaced and this problem is still happening I have it trying to rev all the way up in the video if your turn the volume up. it is a 2003 octane

Tyler Zane

Open Your Eyes
Sounds like its starving for fuel. Do you have a choke or a primer bulb? If pulling the choke or priming it helps then it is certainly a fuel delivery issue. Thats just a quick thing you can do.

If that doesn't show results then you gotta start at the basics. Check compression, spark, and inspect the plugs. Spark plugs tell a lot of the story when there is a fuel issue.

I have not checked the crank doesn't seem to be making any sounds I would assume it would vibrate real hard if cranks was not tight. compression is good in both cylinders. I removed the whole e box checked all connections looked good I have herd the stators go bad in the octanes any thoughts on that ??

Tyler Zane

Open Your Eyes
Stators go bad in everything eventually. Dont just start replacing things.

This link it to a spark checker that would be a very handy tool to have. You need compression, spark and fuel to have a running engine. You already know you have good compression, now you need to check spark, if thats good then you know its fuel.

The cool thing about this spark checker is you can run the engine while its inline and visually watch for consistent spark. How bright it flashes is an indication of how strong the spark is. It may be fine at idle but it may be dropping out at mid-wot. I would go ahead and buy two just so you can watch both cylinders if you do buy one.

http://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.co...ZjYwj_L_wtmOptCJu6Fd0u4_Q14st-1HYYaAj9a8P8HAQ

Have you started by pulling the plug boots off and trimming the wires a little to get a fresh end? I think if the voltage regulator goes bad, it can cause issues too. May want to open the electrical box and unplug that to see if there's a difference. I don't want to have to tell you to buy a CDI yet...!

VXSXH20

Sionis Industries
f34961ec7b3b81d6c45582447c3fb381.jpg
37215c9ad6cb4ab327ce5f73e4d545a7.jpg

This should get you started. Taken from Octane Service Manual

VXSXH20

Sionis Industries
Polaris elecs do not respond well to weak batteries, don't ask me how I know. I chased my tail several hours before at the lake only to find I had a failing AGM battery. after I replaced it she hit the bricks again. I am not saying that is your issue. but you need to try both DC stator tests. Unregulated and Regulated voltage output testing. Also the Early production Stators and CDIs had a red potting sealant on and inside them. if your stator is covered in the red goo sealant it is an early model. granted you'd have to take flywheel off to see it. these will eventually go out at some point. Speedy doesn't want to say it but I will " I 'd replace the CDI, its going to fail eventually anyhow " but before dropping the coin on one. Try replacing your spark plugs and replacing the Fuel. if you had to replace your circuit breaker already.. the question is why? did you try to jumpstart it after storage or accidentally reverse your battery cables? Again Polaris Elecs are very sensitive. Easy but delicate. you could have toasted a component.

the front nhousing where stator and flywheel are has red sealant around the outside, the battery is brand new out of the box I have replaced the plugs as well to and drained the fuel tank I only replaced that circuit breaker because it was ten bucks an read a forum that said it could have something to do with it so I said screw it why not for ten bones.

VXSXH20

Sionis Industries
I suppose the stator could break down at higher rpms anything is possible. however the symptom of inconsistent spark and timing or "breaking down" in the upper rpm range is more suspect of a CDI when they fail. i'll look in the book further to see if I can find more info for you.

VXSXH20

Sionis Industries
Also the red sealant you see between your flywheel cover and housing is not the sealant im referring to.. that is most likely just some sort of RTV sealant. The red potting can only be seen if you remove the flywheel from the crank:

the photo has a yellow/brown sealant. the early style PVL had a dark Red. that is how you would tell.

Attachments

• 10246436_547930185317989_5348886695071992091_n.jpg
    10246436_547930185317989_5348886695071992091_n.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 16
Top Bottom