Super Jet 08+ steering

Im new here but have been lurking for a while. I just picked up a 09 superjet and am trying to figure out what to do with the steering. I have done a lot of searching and reading and it looks like the shmity cable setup is the way to go without replacing the pole. Problem is I havent seen any recent activity on this and dont know if the guy still makes them. It also seems strange that no one else makes a similiar product. 6 production years on this newer ski and you would think it would be an easy upgrade by now.
I have only ridden the new ski a couple of times and trying to get it set up where it is comfortable for me( the guy I bought it from had the handlepole set up very tight and i hated that) but so far it is a HUGE improvement from the old 750 kawi turd that I had.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Crab

thanks darin...noswad!
Should still be avaliable, my buddy just got a new 2013 and that system from him, I will find out the details.

djraider700

lol wut?
Or buy a stock or aftermarket 96-07 RN pole and cable. Looking back, that's the way I would have gone from the start. Im running a heavily modified version of shmity1's setup. Basically just modified his bracket to work with an OEM 96-07 cable so I wouldn't have to rely on his cables in case they became unavailable one day.

evowake

I'm in the same position as you, have an 08+ aka LRN (yea, i'm usin the new acronym:Banane13:) And have looked into shmitty1's setup. I emailed him and he said the cables are still available, but he is no longer making the turnplates, so you'll have to get an aftermarket turnplate to use with his cable setup.

I was trying to look into modifying the stock steering cable by cutting the stainless tube a bit at either end, thereby adding a bit of throw, but I can't seem to find anyone that's done that, and I don't really feel like butchering a good cable unless i have replacement parts ready to go this close to riding season.

I'm now trying to get in touch with some manufacturers of cables to try and develop a solution for us LRN'ers. At the very least a cable that would allow for us to use the outmost hole on the stock turn plate.

-Shortening the cable ends seems feasible, but not sure if it's possible
-moving the attachment point in on the nozzle would help move the nozzle quicker, but it appears as though the cable would rub and possibly get damaged, not to mention you need to cut away at a reinforcement rib on the nozzle to move the cable end.

If I have to buy another pole and cable, i'll wait until next season and work on technique with what I have unless i come across a bargian.

Or buy a stock or aftermarket 96-07 RN pole and cable. Looking back, that's the way I would have gone from the start. Im running a heavily modified version of shmity1's setup. Basically just modified his bracket to work with an OEM 96-07 cable so I wouldn't have to rely on his cables in case they became unavailable one day.

Can you just buy the shmity adaptor and use an older style oem cable. What about an old style oem turn plate?

djraider700

lol wut?
Can you just buy the shmity adaptor and use an older style oem cable. What about an old style oem turn plate?

The turn plates are the same throughout the years. You could ask shmity if he could sell you just the adapter and modify it yourself to work with an OEM cable. Its not an easy process though. You have to be very good with measurements and be exact where you drill holes and remove material from the top pole bracket.

Honestly its way easier to just find a 96-07 pole or go aftermarket. Another option worth considering would be the cold fusion billet top pole bracket. Expensive, but you'd have an adjustable OEM pole.

djraider700

lol wut?
I'm in the same position as you, have an 08+ aka LRN (yea, i'm usin the new acronym:Banane13:) And have looked into shmitty1's setup. I emailed him and he said the cables are still available, but he is no longer making the turnplates, so you'll have to get an aftermarket turnplate to use with his cable setup.

I was trying to look into modifying the stock steering cable by cutting the stainless tube a bit at either end, thereby adding a bit of throw, but I can't seem to find anyone that's done that, and I don't really feel like butchering a good cable unless i have replacement parts ready to go this close to riding season.

I'm now trying to get in touch with some manufacturers of cables to try and develop a solution for us LRN'ers. At the very least a cable that would allow for us to use the outmost hole on the stock turn plate.

-Shortening the cable ends seems feasible, but not sure if it's possible
-moving the attachment point in on the nozzle would help move the nozzle quicker, but it appears as though the cable would rub and possibly get damaged, not to mention you need to cut away at a reinforcement rib on the nozzle to move the cable end.

If I have to buy another pole and cable, i'll wait until next season and work on technique with what I have unless i come across a bargian.

Easiest solution for us LRN guys would be an adaptor that would allow the use of the 96-07 cables. Could sell the adaptor by itself and/or a package with cable. I know how to make it work but don't know any machinists that could make it out of billet or aluminum.

Shmity's adaptor is close but its designed for the cable he sells. Something like that to work with an OEM cable would be perfect.

Will Shmity's cable and adapter work with another aftermarket turn plate?

I just bought the cable and adapter. I already have a blowsion steering system, but don't want to go any further with this if it isn't going to work.

Easiest solution for us LRN guys would be an adaptor that would allow the use of the 96-07 cables. Could sell the adaptor by itself and/or a package with cable. I know how to make it work but don't know any machinists that could make it out of billet or aluminum.

Shmity's adaptor is close but its designed for the cable he sells. Something like that to work with an OEM cable would be perfect.
You would think that there would be a big enougb demand for this. We are up to 6 models years now with :):):):)ty steering and no easy fix.

evowake

Any of you have a junk RN (96-07) cable that I can use for R&D? I have CNC's available, just need to design the part.

What i've heard is that they made them this way b/c these models are more for racing. High speeds you dont want a bunch of throw in your steering.... someone correct me if i'm wrong though.
Hated the steering on mine, installed schmitys cable/bracket along with a CF steering plate this past winter. Super excited to see how it handles now. The install was a pain in the ass though, we just barely didn't measure right when drilling the top of the pole and had to bore it bigger to finally get a different screw in the bracket.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
So I am wondering......
Why would Yamaha put this sucky steering cable setup on the 08+ Superjets? WTF lets just make them not tun well?

I'm guessing because people had asked for a shorter handlepole for a while. They already had the tooling for a shorter pole That would fit: from the FX1. So what if it didnt have the same steering throw. Never assign to conscious and smart design choice something that can be far easier explained by bean counters breathing down people's necks.

evowake

I'm guessing because people had asked for a shorter handlepole for a while. They already had the tooling for a shorter pole That would fit: from the FX1. So what if it didnt have the same steering throw. Never assign to conscious and smart design choice something that can be far easier explained by bean counters breathing down people's necks.

Hit the nail on the head...

"Hmmm this fx1 tooling still looks to be In good shape!"

Top Bottom