08 Superjet Handpole and steering ??

I have an 08 SJ and 2 things, the steering sucks so i am hearing change to an older cable ? Does that really help or would I be better going with the umi steering kit ? My 07 sxr turns so much tighter its rediculous. The second thing is I feel to far back on the ski when jumping so would cutting the handpole 4" or so be a good idea and how hard is that ? Thanks for the help.

Also I would be against buying a new pole if its worth while and not to pricey but let me know what works best, especially since I am about 240lbs and seems a more forward stance would help with recovering from waves and getting going again. Right now the ski want to stand up to much and its hard to get it going again especially when low on fuel.

cookerq62

Life's Been Good
Get yourself some zero degree bars before you go with a shorter hand pole. You can't run the older cable or umi steering without running the older style pole. The steering setup on the pole end is maxed out as far throw goes. I would hold off on the steering setup until someone comes out with a cheaper solution. You can put a ProTec or Riva Nozzle from a Raider on to get some more throw till then; or move the steering mount inward.

Last edited:

WaveDemon

Not Dead - Notable Member
Get yourself some zero degree bars before you go with a shorter hand pole. You can't run the older cable or umi steering without running the older style pole. The steering setup on the pole end is maxed out as far throw goes. I would hold off on the steering setup until someone comes out with a cheaper solution. You can put a ProTec or Riva Nozzle from a Raider on to get some more throw till then; or move the steering mount inward.

^^what he said.

If I had an 08 I'd buy a stock or aftermarket pre-08 pole and steering set up and cable.

Last edited:

cookerq62

Life's Been Good
If you use an 07 cable on an 08 ski you will have full throw to the right and zero to the left. What some one needs to make is a brakcet that is offset into the pole about 2 inches so you can run the older cable. You could use collars to hold the cable but thats not the best way and they wpuld probably slip & tweek tha cable.

Prem1x

Tinkering obsessed
You can't cut some of the tips off of the 07 cable and shorten that f'er up enough? People have been running -2" poles forever. This can't be that big of a deal. Dunno. I'm only making suggestions and haven't inspected the situation yet.

RMBC Freeride

Vintage
Site Supporter
The -2" on the '08 pole is in the bracket area - they did not shorten the fiberglass portion at all. The distance between the cable mount and the pivot point of the turn plate is 2" less than previous SJ's (happens to be the same as the FX-1).

This is a hot topic lately, maybe wee need to get a FAQ section going for it... ?

been discussed here: http://www.x-h2o.com/threads/42989
and here: http://www.x-h2o.com/threads/43051

waxhead

wannabe backflipper
buy an old busted pole and take the top alloy bit off it and put it on your o8 pole
thats the only difference then put a ealier cable on it

Prem1x

Tinkering obsessed
How to install quick-steer on an '08 without breaking the steering cable: Drill a 6mm hole though the steering stop on the handle pole's top cast aluminum piece. The hole should be positioned where the turn plate hits the stop. Run a 6x25mm or 30mm bolt through it with a nut on the other end. You'll want to run one to two washers on either side. Run the minimum number of washers so that the plate just hits the bolt. Adjust steering to center and ensure steering solidly hits the bolt and nut before cable bottoms out.

Your handlebars will not pivot as far side to side, but the nozzle is traveling just as far left-to right as before. It is just that now it travels faster because of the quick steer.

An '07 pole and cable would give you even extra travel than this this option. Although, if someone comes out with a better steering nozzle that has a shorter arm, that would effectively give you more travel as well.

I will post a pic tonight.

Attachments

• 08SEP08 007.jpg
    08SEP08 007.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:
B

BigredZ

Thanks for the tip. That seems like a perfect quick solution to my problem. Then with a steering nozzle bracket I should have full steering.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!:Banane13:

Prem1x

Tinkering obsessed
Thats great but I thought the whole purpose was to get more throw on the steering nozzle?
More throw is a great idea but you're not going to get it with the '08 pole and cable. This fix at least allows you to use the quick steer you bought at a better ratio than stock. It is the same amount of throw (i.e. the cable is being pushed in and out just as far) but it will be quicker. Another option would be to use an aluminum nozzle and tap a hole closer in. With an '07 cable that option would probably give more throw.

Prem1x

Tinkering obsessed
Update: I re-drilled the steering nozzle thru the plastic. I don't know how long this will last till it rips out, but the nut it on tight so the clamping effect should add strength. I am real happy with the results. The steering works good and no need for an older pole and cable.

Also, I am only running one washer on bolts sides of the bolt and nut where I drilled the pole.

Attachments

• 16SEP08 004.jpg
    16SEP08 004.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 250
Just wanted to see how ur mod is going still holding up??no breakage yet of the plastic????did it give u anymore throw???am wanting to do it to my 08 but wanted to see how yours was holding up first...

Top Bottom