1986 hood mod

shawn_NJ

Chasing waves.
I have owned two 86's, and I have learned the hard way that the 86 hood is horrible!! After the second hydrolock, I threw my 86 hood out and got a used 87+ hood on here for $45 shipped. Unless you are going to do major work to the 86, I would pickup another year hood as a base to work off for your modding.

Last edited:

BlueBreadTruck

X-2? Yes please
I have an 86 hood....eaisier to do the mod. take a look.
2007_0617(014).jpg

2007_0617(013).jpg

works great

Whats the difference between '86 hoods vs others?

Its ingest more water then the other years. If you liik at one you will noticw that there is an air scoop on the middle thats how you can tell.

1st pic is an 86 other is like the other years

EDIT: ignore the drawings in the second pic

Attachments

• 86 x2.jpg
    86 x2.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 74
  • my x2 2.jpg
    my x2 2.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 75

BlueBreadTruck

X-2? Yes please
yeah its 1" tube. It needs to be cut shorter than in that pic. I had tried fiberglassing around the foam, but it ended up horrible, it melted the foam. So i just left the foam in there but cut most of the excess out. works great

cattledog

EH TEAM RACING
thanks for info do u fibreglass all holes in side of hood any pictures of inside hood the one that shows the 4 tubes is only a partial picture could i see the complete hood thanks will buy u lots of beer if u r going to daytona

BlueBreadTruck

X-2? Yes please
lol...i am going to daytona!,....and i never turn down free beer!

yeah, as you can see i actually filled in and painted over the holes in the side
2007_0816(002).jpg

however, basically all you need to do is fill all the old vents on the inside of the hood. I ended up basically gutting the inside of the hood, leaving the rear bottom of the vents intact to support the hood, and filled the openings.

If you dont want to go through the whole deal of smoothing, and cutting, and chopping the hood like I did, just fill all the vents with foam, and add the 4 tubes from the cowl area......you will have to remove the factory foam and cut the top parts of the vents away, but its not hard!

Bluebread...Are those 4 tubes your only air intake? I'd be concerned about getting enough air.
catteldog...the hood mod I did works very well.

Found the pics...
Did some calculations on the four 1" tubes you used bluebread. The the total cross sectional flow area of all 4 tubes is 3.14 in. sq. Your dual 40 SXR carbs have a total flow area of 3.8 in. sq. If this is your only intake on your hood it is a big bottleneck for you.

Attachments

• IMG_1674.JPG
    IMG_1674.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1672.JPG
    IMG_1672.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1810.JPG
    IMG_1810.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 69
hey x2guy did u get a lot of water in engine compartment it looks like a large opening?

My bilge stays nice and dry. You can actually see the water flow over the opening and not go in when running the ski on it's side. It is a really big opening but my design still uses the stock water drains which do a pretty good job. The stock hoods biggest problem is the forward facing air intake that always seemed to be under water.

Top Bottom