Super Jet 1991 SN SJ Questions

Bought a 1991 Square Nose Super Jet and finally had it out to the lake yesterday, it runs great but noticed right away there was no water coming out of the pee hole, took it back to the trailer to further investigate. Turns out the pee hole was really hooked up to a hose that "was in the past" hooked up to a bilge pump which is no longer in the ski, the hose was just laying under the engine. Secondly there was already a fair amount of water in the compartment which was coming through the bilge hole and right down the tube into the compartment, so I temporarily closed off the hose with a zip lock bag and a rubber band to keep water from coming in. The ski does have a fresh water flush kit on it, so I fired it up with the flush kit cap off and verified water was circulating, so my daughters friend was good to go riding the ski.

Later in the day I looked inside to find even more water in the ski, probably a total of 5 gallons, we were done for the day anyways so I pumped out the water before leaving with a hand pump.

Now to the questions, did Super Jets in 1991 even have a pee line/hole? Tried looking it up on the parts diagrams and could not find it, if it did come with one I guess I would like to find the parts and re-install. Next question is where is the water coming in after I sealed off the bilge line? I looked at the hood gasket and it is folded over in a few places. Hood gasket is the only start to where I think it may be coming in, are there any other known issues where water could be coming in from?

This is an extra ski that we bought for friends to ride, so I want this to be solid to not have to think about it.

Last edited:
The early SJ's with the 650 engines did not have a pisser.

As far as the water coming in, I would check all of your cooling lines while it's running to see if any are leaking.
The flush kit may not be tight.

Also check your intermediate housing because if it's not tight water will come through.

A bad hood seal will take in a lot of water.

Thanks for the information, I have ordered a new hood seal and will check all the hoses and flush kit.

The early SJ's with the 650 engines did not have a pisser.

As far as the water coming in, I would check all of your cooling lines while it's running to see if any are leaking.
The flush kit may not be tight.

Also check your intermediate housing because if it's not tight water will come through.

A bad hood seal will take in a lot of water.

Thanks for this information about the pisser. Since the first question seems to be resolved could I ask about my 91 SJ myself? I've bought one recently (which I love by the way) and it has a pisser on the left side.

I cannot find a manual specifically for the 91 superjet but I have been told everything from the newer 701 SJ's are the same.

So has my pisser been installed after the first owner?

There are quite a few aftermarket handling parts on the one I've obtained so I'm really not sure EXACTLY what's going on with oem parts on these.

I know that the intake, ride plate, bars, throttle lever, and flame arrestor have been changed. I'm not even sure of the model names. A lot has been repainted and I have not done a thorough inspection of each part yet.

Last edited:
I checked everything, dried the engine compartment, and ran it on the hose to check for leaks. There was a small slow stream of water coming from the front of the ski, I think the stock water box has a crack in it.

onedumbtrucker

Now with 20% more pulp.
A ski out on the water will always take on water unless you can manage to ride all day without ever falling. The engine needs air to breath and it gets this through the vents in the hood. This means that it is also possible to get water in there from falling over or even splashing in waves.

Best investment you can get is an electric bilge kit and use it constant when riding.

Certainly if you have leaking water lines or waterbox those should be fixed to ensure proper working of the ski but you should keep in mind that your ski will ALWAYS get water in it and plan for that.

A ski out on the water will always take on water unless you can manage to ride all day without ever falling. The engine needs air to breath and it gets this through the vents in the hood. This means that it is also possible to get water in there from falling over or even splashing in waves.

Best investment you can get is an electric bilge kit and use it constant when riding.

Certainly if you have leaking water lines or waterbox those should be fixed to ensure proper working of the ski but you should keep in mind that your ski will ALWAYS get water in it and plan for that.

Absolutely I agree, I have six stand up ski's - this SJ is an extra ski I let family and friends ride. This one was taking on water through the bilge hole & line that was hooked up to nothing as well as the water box leaking and possibly the hood seal is bad as it is folded over in a few places.

iangdesign

Cats, lots of cats!
Hey Dan,

I was gonna say the same thing as a previous poster. If your daughter's friend was riding it, chances are she was falling off quite a bit and the SN is notorious for allowing wayer intrusion in through the hood vents. Maybe you know Brad (has a black SN) him and I were out playing at Canyon a while back and he did 4 subs, came back in and we bailed about 10 gallons of water out oh his ski. Bilge fuse had blown.

If you still have the stock suction bilge in the ski I would say hook it up, it is really the best way to evacuate water from the the engine compartment, but it only works if the ski is on plane and engine is at high rpms for a little while. So once again if your daughter's friend is playing around and keep falling off the ski, it won't be able to do it's job. As stated an electric bilge is your best bet. Switch it on before you go out and cut it off when you come back to shore.

Top Bottom