1997 Superjet bogs down when I hit the throttle

My suprjet will run ok for a few minutes and then after a while when I hit the throttle to jump a wave or just speed up, it will bog down and die. If I have enough time to reach the primer I can pump it and it will run ok for another few minutes before it bogs down again. Seems like its not getting the fuel that it needs. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Yeah it definitely isn't a normal thing. It would bog down when I hit the throttle all the way to jump. It also didn't happen every time. It seemed like there was no gas getting to it. If I felt it starting to bog down I would hit the primer and it would keep it alive for a few more minutes which made me think it is a fuel system issue.

I took the carburetor apart and cleaned it. The diaphragms looked in ok condition. I blew out the pickup tubes, and sucked up the gas incase there was water in it. There is spark on the spark plugs, and I have a compression of 130-140 in both cylinders. Does that compression seem ok for a 1997 stock superjet?

Midlake Crisis

Site Supporter
Any suggestions? I don't know what else to do.
Adjust idle, high and low screws to make sure it is at least close to being tuned (See Mikuni Manual)
Change external fuel filter
Clean out small internal fuel filter inside carb
Clean carb thoroughly, blow out passages with compressed air
Check every inch of fuel lines and pulse line for cracks, brittle ends, bad connections
Bypass fuel selector to verify no air leak there
Fresh plugs gapped correctly
Test coil specs with ohm meter, wiggle wires to see if consistent, trim wires and replace terminals if needed
Check thoroughly for exhaust leaks, cracked water box, hose, bad connections
Verify tank check valve works right and installed properly
Swap CDI with "known good" CDI
Swap Stator with "known good"

These are basics I have tried, I have thought it was fixed after different things and then had the problem return. Good luck and report success if you find it. . .

Ok. I'll look at these things. I have already: changed the external fuel filter
cleaned the internal ones
Took the carb apart to look at the diaphragms and check jets, gaskets etc.
checked the spark but not with an OHM meter, just by unplugging the plugs and trying to start (they sparked)
How do I bypass the fuel selector?
How do I check the tank check valve?
How do I adjust idle?

I noticed while riding that when the fuel selector is in the "on" position it bogs and stalls more than when on "reserve". Does this have any significance?

Midlake Crisis

Site Supporter
How do I bypass the fuel selector?
Run the reserve line directly to the carb, plug the other one.

How do I check the tank check valve?
Make sure the arrow on the valve is pointed toward the tank, blow through the valve make sure it lets air in to the tank but won't let air out (one way valve).

How do I adjust idle?
Google for the Mikuni manual, need a tachometer to adjust idle and mix screws properly

I noticed while riding that when the fuel selector is in the "on" position it bogs and stalls more than when on "reserve". Does this have any significance?
I am thinking that may be a good sign - if it is just an air leak in the selector you could be in good shape for an easy fix.

If it's an air leak in the selector is there a fix or would I need a new one? Also, where would the reserve line go into the carb when I bypass the switch?

Midlake Crisis

Site Supporter
If it's an air leak in the selector is there a fix or would I need a new one? Also, where would the reserve line go into the carb when I bypass the switch?
I haven't looked in to repair kits for selector switches, I would think you could buy internals for it but don't know for sure.
To bypass the selector disconnect the fuel line coming from the selector to the large external filter and plug it off. Take the reserve line off of the selector and stick it directly on to the filter.

Top Bottom