2 Newbie questions-apologies in advance

Hi there. I have been riding my stock 2014 SJ for a couple seasons and figured it was time to do some mods. I ride freestyle mostly on my lake and just mess around. nothing serious.
2 questions.

1)I bought some ADA 0 degree bars to replace my stock bars. It comes with a bracket for an ADA racing pad. It looks pretty cool and I was going to leave it on but I can't get the 2 piece plastic steering column cover back on with it on there. What do you guys recommend? Do most people just leave the two piece cover off? Is that okay to do? Or do most take the bracket and pad off and replace the plastic covers? I would rather leave the bracket on because I have everything all put back together but its not a big deal to take it off.

2)I bought a new impeller. 9/15 hooker. Do I have to take the whole pump assembly out to change the prop? I figured this was the proper way to do it but was having trouble accessing the foremost bolts that hold it to the hull. I am mechanically handy but never wrenched on an SJ really so step by step directions are always welcome. Anyone have a good write up they can point me to?

Thanks in advance.

-Doc

Last edited:
You ditch the stock pads for the aftermarket bar pad, there is no way your getting the stock pad on aftermarket bars, the pump does have to come out to change the impeller, not hard to do, just remember where the shims go, and know that the pump and drive shaft come out together

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Thanks man. Appreciate the info.

1)any suggestions on aftermarket pads that will fit the bars?

2)which shims are you referring to?

Any motorcross pads will work, just measure them and get a pad to fit it, there are shims under the two rearmost pump mounting tabs, its extremely important these go back where they came from so your driveline is aligned correctly

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

motoman3000

ride
Site Supporter
If it's brandy new , mayb no shims , but when u reinstall b sure what comes out , put back in same place - as time goes on , parts changed , sometimes shims are needed to align pump with midshaft bearing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh OK. I thought you meant a pad to replace the plastic cover. Yes, it came with an ADA pad that I will keep on there. I will ditch the stock plastic covers.

Thanks for the advice on the shims. I will be sure to look for them. It is a 2014 so IDK.

Are there any issues with steering alignment with putting it back together? Or is the steering just adjusted by tightening and loosening that nut on the steering cable? Thanks again.

Doc,
1. Just use a razor knife and trim the inside of the stock cover. Take your time. Both sides. Mine worked perfectly. I actually still have one. Yours free if you pay shipping. It will fit 5 degree bend. I never liked the look of aftermarket pads. They look Busch League to me.
2. Youtube has nice informational write up just seach Yamaha pumps. They are all the same.

Thanks for all the replies. I will tear into it tomorrow and report back if I have issues

One last question. The impeller came with what I think is a spacer and a couple rubber pieces. Will I see where those go when I pull the old one off and what are they exactly.

McDog

Other Administrator
Staff member
It came with a prop tool to enable you to unstall it and two caps. Choose the one that matches your driveshaft diameter the best. Use the closed circular end of a wrench on the tool and be sure to use a lot of antiseize on the prop threads. You will need a driveshaft tool to hold it while you change the prop. Cheater bars, leverage, and blowtorch heat will be your friend to get the old prop off. Good luck. Pm me if you have issues.

It came with a prop tool to enable you to unstall it and two caps. Choose the one that matches your driveshaft diameter the best. Use the closed circular end of a wrench on the tool and be sure to use a lot of antiseize on the prop threads. You will need a driveshaft tool to hold it while you change the prop. Cheater bars, leverage, and blowtorch heat will be your friend to get the old prop off. Good luck. Pm me if you have issues.

Sweet. I have the driveshaft tool and have seen a video on how to remove the impeller from the shaft. Thanks for the heads up on the prop tool and the caps. I will report back with victory or defeat.

I do have one quick question. Now that I have the bars on I can't pull the throttle lever or the choke. I can't recall if I could before I took the stock bars off.

Is this normal with the ski winterized and the battery out? Or did I booger something up when I put the new bars on?

I do have one quick question. Now that I have the bars on I can't pull the throttle lever or the choke. I can't recall if I could before I took the stock bars off.

Is this normal with the ski winterized and the battery out? Or did I booger something up when I put the new bars on?
Is your ski in above freezing temps? I once had frozen cables that were locked up tighter than a nun on sunday.

Lol! Nun on Sunday. Love it

Actually you're absolutely right! I was thinking that too the longer I looked at it.

It's been ungodly cold here. Zero degrees for a week

Top Bottom