2 Stroke oil

Amsoil is nice smelling, but too expensive for me, I had 8 seasons on my sj with west marine oil(680 hours according to the tiny tach), before a rebuild. And I didn't need a rebore, just a hone, even with a limited b-pipe and a ADA head. I think the hype is too much. Just my opinion

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
It may be hype, it may be more $$ but I haven't lost a single engine since I switched to 40:1 Amsoil Dominator.

Like I said, got 8 seasons out of west marine oil, only needed a hone, still running strong. Only rebuilt due to hours, not failure.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
I have a feeling that the better oil pays off not in common everyday operation, but rather in marginal situations - such as brief overheating, running lean, overcooling, etc.
In those situations, better oil may well be worth the money.

Crab

thanks darin...noswad!
I have a feeling that the better oil pays off not in common everyday operation, but rather in marginal situations - such as brief overheating, running lean, overcooling, etc.
In those situations, better oil may well be worth the money.
I concure, my new topend would be toast I'm sure. As it was all the rubber hoses were burnt to a crisp at Tastin.

I read some posts from a guy who said that it just felt like his motor wasn't really "breaking in". If I recall correctly, he pulled the top end off and the outer coating on the rings hadn't even worn off yet after a couple hours. The guys in the forum (I forget if it was here or on PWCT) asked what kind of oil he was using, and it was one of the Amsoil 2-stroke oils. Long story short, he switched to petroleum-based oil and it broke in quickly after that.

So in my newbie opinion, if an oil protects engine parts so well that the engine can't even break in, that's the oil I want to be running.

I have a bottle of Dominator just waiting for me to finish my tank full of SBT Break-in oil.

I have always used Maxima. I like the super M and the castor 927. Its just what I have always used. I wish it was a little cheeper.

+1

I use Maxima Marine Pro and love it. It's reasonably priced, very good quality and I ran my old 92 650SX for 8 years on it, almost every weekend over the summer times here and not one rebuild. When I traded it in, it still was squeezing 126psi on both cylinders. My opinion, best 40 bucks I could spend on my ski.

SharkB8 - the break-in issue is common with fully synthetic oils. I ran OEM synthetic oil in my ATV when I bought it for the first year or so and it never felt right either until I changed up to mineral based oil. After that it began to develope it's real power range and was much smoother running. IMO, synthetic oils should only be used after the break-in to drastically reduce further wear. :bigok:

Thank you everyone for your opinions and quick responses. I am working on becoming an Amsoil dealer. Once this is accomplished, I will see about getting set up with drop shipments for others, discounts for our X-H2O users, and trying to make some of the events. I have used Amsoil dominator in my SXI after breaking in, its been a while since the build, and the cylinders still show the crosshatching from the hone.

LBE

Eddie Would Go.
I read some posts from a guy who said that it just felt like his motor wasn't really "breaking in". If I recall correctly, he pulled the top end off and the outer coating on the rings hadn't even worn off yet after a couple hours. The guys in the forum (I forget if it was here or on PWCT) asked what kind of oil he was using, and it was one of the Amsoil 2-stroke oils. Long story short, he switched to petroleum-based oil and it broke in quickly after that.

Yeah.....

Attachments

• bullpoop.jpg
    bullpoop.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 29

Don 79 TA

Still Fat....
personally any of the finner good brands are good to use, ams, klotz, royal purple, maxima

i went a VERY long time using klotz on my stroker setup, and it could have gone longer

i also never had a problem using quicksilver oil either, i think dad got it from price club super cheap, but since i use HIGH compression i use the klotzr50

So in my newbie opinion, if an oil protects engine parts so well that the engine can't even break in, that's the oil I want to be running.

I have a bottle of Dominator just waiting for me to finish my tank full of SBT Break-in oil.

That is not a bull:):):):) story, Amsoil is a synthetic oil and you cant use it to break a motor in. My friend just finished his motor, the rings didnt seat and didnt have the power it should have. Switch to petroleum and everything seated properly. I use TORCO semi-synthetic.

Shonuff

I've got the glow
Site Supporter
That is not a bull:):):):) story, Amsoil is a synthetic oil and you cant use it to break a motor in. My friend just finished his motor, the rings didnt seat and didnt have the power it should have. Switch to petroleum and everything seated properly. I use TORCO semi-synthetic.

Yep - dino oil for break-in, synthetic after that.

Top Bottom