2008 - 2020 Super Jet: How best to increase tighter nozzle steering

E350

Site Supporter
I read @TIMMAAY's recent thread on this subject.
Apparently, @john zigler has a quick steer adapter plate:

1721606494680.png

He said this about it in TIMMAAY's thread:
1721606884408.png

Great video by John Zigler on how to install his quick steer kit (note you do not drill the pole, you merely drill the stock steering plate to install the new steering pivot):

Has anyone used it, and how do you like it?

How does it compare to the mod where you swap in a pre-2008 cable? And does anyone have a good link to a discussion and description of that mod?

Does Blowsion or any other company provide a kit?

Last edited:

E350

Site Supporter
Ok, I bought this from Chris @JetManiac and will report back how it works:

1721676610267.jpeg

@john zigler Wouldn't this work WITH your steering plate kit to maximize steering nozzle throw?

Last edited:

E350

Site Supporter
Quick installation and ride report. I like HSI products, but the HSI is not for me. It is a "quicksteer" device, but it does not increase the right left angle of the steering nozzle. Compare my wife's 1994 Square Nose Super Jet with my 2019 Round Nose Super Jet with bars cranked to the stops to turn left. Notice how her nozzle is pointing more laterally for a sharper turn:

IMG_0771.jpg

Upon further examination, the insufficient side to side "throw" of the nozzle seems due to aluminum "stops" behind the nozzle.

It is like steering a car, there is a point where you cannot turn the wheels any further because the ball joints hit a stop.

So, I will take off the HSI product and run the ski stock until I can find a replacement nozzle which is more relieved where the plastic nozzle hits the aluminum stops on the ski.

I may consider Dremmeling the end of the slot on the left side of the nozzle where it hits the stop (I am not sure what part of the nozzle hits the right stop):

1721883337082.png

But at that point side to side nozzle throw would likely be limited by the oem short steering cable which @john zigler;s steering plate might alleviate.

Someone has solved this problem before. How did you do it? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:

E350

Site Supporter
Thank you.

I will take a photo later today of the steering nozzle against its stop with the cable completely detached so we can all see that regardless of the length of the cable or the type of steering plate, the nozzle will never turn as tight as, for example, my wife's 1993 Square Nose Super Jet.

So, I will be looking for an aftermarket steering nozzle.

Anyone know of one?

I noticed on the hsi adapter that goes on the nozzle. You have the cable bolted to the outer most hole. This will reduce the total throw. To increase throw, move the cable to the inner most hole on the nozzle and the outer most hole on the steering plate to achieve max throw.

The 08+ cable which is the same as the fx1 cable doesn't have as much throw in the cable itself so no it won't have as much throw as the pre 08 cable. That's why people change them.

E350

Site Supporter
Hey @fastgtfairlane I actually have the cable bolted to the innermost hole.

You can see it just below the orange tie down.

The screw you are seeing is the attachment screw which goes into the outside hole of the adapter and up into the stock cable attachment hole.

E350

Site Supporter
Interesting, my actual steering nozzle is made of plastic.

What is also interesting is that the fixed part of the nozzle which you are showing has an adjustable TRIM (I.e., item # 30). (Not mobile trim but unbolt and adjust and then bolt down trim.)

1721883337082-png.449531

It would be great to see the two parts: The plastic steering nozzle and the fixed nozzle out of the ski so I could really see what physical stops prevent the steering nozzle from turning farther to the right. I can easily see what stops it from turning to the left. It is that slot (shown above), the bottom of which could be Drimmeled to be deeper so that the nozzle would turn more obliquely (but then the cable would prevent the nozzle from swinging farther to either side?).

1721918406885.png

@john zigler If you don't mind, I know that you have likely addressed the nozzle throw when designing your aftermarket steering plate, what are your thoughts on this?

Last edited:
Thank you.

I will take a photo later today of the steering nozzle against its stop with the cable completely detached so we can all see that regardless of the length of the cable or the type of steering plate, the nozzle will never turn as tight as, for example, my wife's 1993 Square Nose Super Jet.

So, I will be looking for an aftermarket steering nozzle.

Anyone know of one?
I came across this nozzle when trying to solve this exact issue.

KP Parts out of New Zealand

I do not know if it offers a greater angle before contact. You would have to contact them.

E350

Site Supporter
I bit the bullet and ordered the Blowsion Billet Handlepole with OVP steering, Blowsion Turbulator chinpad, Riva 4 degree bars and HD standard length steering cable from Scott at Blowsion. I will report back how it works on the 2019 Super Jet.

1722870369847.png

(Because I am married, I forgot how much it cost.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom