Super Jet 2009 super jet only mod is pipe

My ski has only maybe 30 hrs on it, but runs like crap now. It stalls out at times and after hitting a wave and jumping it cuts out with no quick power. Checked gas, it's good. No water in the
seperater. Anyone have any ideas on what to look for? Don't know where to start. Changed plugs, all looks good. Not sure if this is a common problem, maybe the carbs are not getting consistant feul or an electical problem. Any suggestions would be helpful. Don't want to haul it into a shop and pay $$ for something that could be simple , thanks

These days its carb, carb, carb. Ethanol in gas is screwing everything up. Learn to clean and rebuild yourself, because it wont be the last time it happens. Very easy to do, do it twice and you will be a pro.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
My ski has only maybe 30 hrs on it, but runs like crap now. It stalls out at times and after hitting a wave and jumping it cuts out with no quick power. Checked gas, it's good. No water in the
seperater. Anyone have any ideas on what to look for? Don't know where to start. Changed plugs, all looks good. Not sure if this is a common problem, maybe the carbs are not getting consistant feul or an electical problem. Any suggestions would be helpful. Don't want to haul it into a shop and pay $$ for something that could be simple , thanks

Did you buy it like that? Has it always run like that for you?
If you bought it like that, did the previous owner know what they were doing?
If it has not always done that, when and how did it start?

You say it has only 30 hours on it, so that sounds like you had it since new. That's not a lot of time in four years.
It's probably a safe bet that the carburetors need to be cleaned and perhaps the needle & seat valves replaced.
While you're doing that, check the jetting. Maybe whomever put the pipe on it didn't rejet the carburetors like they should have.

Crab

thanks darin...noswad!
Standard e10 pump gas is a headache for your carbs, causes all kinds of issues.....

Matt_E

Site Supporter
Shouldn't be causing those issues to that extent though, not if it's tuned right and hasn't sat with that gas in it for a long time.

Matt_E

Site Supporter
Yep, seen more and more of that in the past couple of years. It's always skis that didn't get ethanol Stabil in them and sat over the winter. That's my point: doesn't happen unless it sits for a while.
But once it happens, it's pretty bad. I had to advise one guy with an old Polaris last fall to just get another set of carbs. They were that bad.

Dude that gas will trash your carbs in a week

Nah, not quite that quick.

Crab

thanks darin...noswad!
That was from a freshwater raider my buddy got last summer, adding to the problem no oil in the gas, still running injection. The prior owner took it in for a full tune up and winterization.....lol.

Matt_E

Site Supporter
LOL indeed. Gotta use ethanol compatible Stabil and actually run it until it pulls some of that gas through the carbs.
Five years ago it was a rare thing to see carbs like that. Now I see them all the time.

I agree with the ethanol my manual says dont use fuel that contains more than 10% ethanol or it could cause fuel system damage and most gas stations use more than that because its cheaper than gasoline. I have an oil company down the street thats sells 100% gasoline in 5 gallon cans thats what i use unless i run out somwhere

If it starts right back up its probably a fuel delivery problem, but difficult to 100% diagnose without feeling the issue myself. Here is a thought, check your vent on the gas tank for any restriction/improper direction. The fuel systems on these seem to be very dependent on a properly working vent. After that, i'd service + rebuild the carbs b/c it never hurts to do this especially if it has been a long time. I do mine every winter with genuine mikuni parts.

Haha, you guys hate ethanol? Heres one.. The newer Ducati's are using plastic gas tanks made by Acerbis. They are having huge issues with them expanding ONLY in the US. Ethanol gas was proven to be at fault.

Last edited:
Top Bottom