2012 Last year for the stand up jet skis?

kraqus

Site Supporter
So now my mind is racing.....
WTF is this supposed to mean anyways?
Will you be able to register a used standup after 2012 at DMV?
and the ones that already own standups,
Are we going to get grandfathered in, and still be able to ride?

The Mayans were right....2012 is the end of the :):):):)ing world as we know it.

Benny

ger87410

How did I get here?

Of course they're going to get grandfathered in. Can't imagine why you'd think they wouldn't.

The only thing 2-strokers would have to worry about is certain lakes banning them. I'd bet they couldn't ban them on a national level.

deftons56

Brian
Can't imagine why you'd think they wouldn't.
maybe he was refering to this...the wording is a little confusing.

article said:
That’s not to say the current stand-ups will go away completely, at least not for racers. According to details that can be found in the Federal Register, exemptions can be granted for an engine if it is used “solely” for competition. Exemptions are granted for one model year, and a request for renewal must be made for each subsequent model year.

Last edited:

ger87410

How did I get here?
Hmmmm.

Didn't confuse me at all, but I have little emotion attached to this.

I read it as the companies might still make 2-strokes ONLY for racers.

SuziQ

Banned
So now my mind is BRAINSTORMING AGAIN.....
WTF is this supposed to mean anyways?

The Mayans were right....2012 is the end of the :):):):)ing world as we know it.

Benny

Fixed your quote! :beerchug:

Off of the top of my head without looking at anything further:

“According to details that can be found in the Federal Register, exemptions can be granted for an engine if it is used “solely” for competition.”

A new racing entity could be formed, strictly following requirements, and we all become qualified “racers” who “compete”, until Ross works his magic with the electric gadgets. Perhaps said entity could draft qualifications on “timed solo runs” to be submitted, allowing “racers” to “compete” via solo runs (not that anyone should be riding solo), and submitting their timed races to said racing entity on a “faith basis” (ha ha). And/or, they can fight to allow freestyle competitions as well (probably a harder battle this late in the game).

Someone needs to dig into the specifications currently being proposed for the “qualified racers”, in order to know what route to take.

ger87410

How did I get here?
Here ya go, Suzi.

http://law.justia.com/us/cfr/title40/40-31.0.1.3.11.7.1.5.html

1051.620 When may a manufacturer obtain an exemption for competition recreational vehicles?

(a) We may grant you an exemption from the standards and requirements of this part for a new recreational vehicle on the grounds that it is to be used solely for competition. The provisions of this part other than those in this section do not apply to recreational vehicles that we exempt for use solely for competition.

(b) We will exempt vehicles that we determine will be used solely for competition. The basis of our determinations are described in paragraphs (b)(1), (b)(2), and (c) of this section. Exemptions granted under this section are good for only one model year and you must request renewal for each subsequent model year. We will not approve your renewal request if we determine the vehicles will not be used solely for competition.

(1) Off-highway motorcycles. Motorcycles that are marketed and labeled as only for competitive use and that meet at least four of the criteria listed in paragraphs (b)(1)(i) through (vi) of this section are considered to be used solely for competition, except in cases where other information is available that indicates that they are not used solely for competition. The following features are indicative of motorcycles used solely for competition:

(i) The absence of a headlight or other lights.

(ii) The absence of a spark arrestor.

(iii) The absence of manufacturer warranty.

(iv) Suspension travel greater than 10 inches.

(v) Engine displacement greater than 50 cc.

(vi) The absence of a functional seat. (For example, a seat with less than 30 square inches of seating surface would generally not be considered a functional seat).

(2) Snowmobiles and ATVs. Snowmobiles and ATVs meeting all of the following criteria are considered to be used solely for competition, except in cases where other information is available that indicates that they are not used solely for competition:

(i) The vehicle or engine may not be displayed for sale in any public dealership.

(ii) Sale of the vehicle must be limited to professional racers or other qualified racers.

(iii) The vehicle must have performance characteristics that are substantially superior to noncompetitive models.

(c) Vehicles not meeting the applicable criteria listed in paragraph (b) of this section will be exempted only in cases where the manufacturer has clear and convincing evidence that the vehicles will be used solely for competition.

(d) You must permanently label vehicles exempted under this section to clearly indicate that they are to be used only for competition. Failure to properly label a vehicle will void the exemption for that vehicle.

(e) If we request it, you must provide us any information we need to determine whether the vehicles are used solely for competition.

kraqus

Site Supporter
they would have to ban all boats running 2 smokers if they wanted to ban skis. They are considered "boats"

That is correct and they are powerful Lobbyists.
Xscream engines will be sold in the black market then....

EDIT:

No.

Boats are considered boats and jet-skis are considered PWCs.

But they run on 2 stroke engines.
How can they justify banning one and not the other?

Benny

Last edited:

SuziQ

Banned
Here ya go, Suzi.

Thanks again. Quick glanced it. Can you supply the actual link as well please?

Based on what has been provided thus far, it seems necessary for "freestyle competition" language to be included, and that will require a probably necessary fight by a designated entity. All I have seen thus far states "racing", and that is not sufficient to needs (edit: it could be, but it only makes it more difficult, and then their language will change after the fact, and that is why it is prudent to get it included now).

Last edited:
Yamaha and Kawasaki will probably still sell the two strokers in Canada, Europe, Aus, Japan etc... These rules are only for the USA, I think it's pretty likely that there will still be ways to get the craft and import them... although that will push the price up...

Top Bottom