Super Jet 2012 Superjet vs 550sx vs 2011 SXR

What is the closest ski to the 1990 Kawasaki i have? I bought a 2011 SXR used a few weeks ago and took it out today to give it a try....needless to say I was very disappointed in how heavy and big it felt compared to my 550SX. I have actually made a decision that I dislike it so much I will be immediately putting it up for sale. It has tons more power, but it just doesn't thrill me like my 550SX does. I only use the ski's on private lakes and I'm only interested in jumping boat wakes and doing power-slides etc. I also just had delivered (see Pics) A 2012 Superjet that is still in the crate and has yet to be even serviced to ride. The question is am I going to feel the same about the Superjet that I feel about the SXR (feels huge, not nimble...etc.) or is it more like a modern day 550SX. I just don't won't to service it and use it to find it's a huge barge like the SXR...instead of just cutting my losses on it and selling it as new. So...should I look for another couple of vintage ski's or will I finally be thrilled with a modern Superjet. Thanks for the input!

I started out with a js550 3 years ago, loved it and got addicted. I was going to buy an sxr800 the following year but I was lucky enough to run into a local that had one and let me ride it. I hated it, it might as well be a seadoo 3d in my opinion. So I ended up getting a superjet instead and loved it, I only rode my 550 once more before I sold it this year and I would never look back. So, take it from someone that started out the same way you did, and get on that superjet, you're gonna love it!

Seems to me that you have the means to own a few toys. Ride the super jet, sell everything else and start looking into after market parts that will lighten it and make it handle better. The SJ is so popular that there are new and used parts everywhere for them. Put a b pipe and a head on it that will give you 185psi. then get a turn plate,straight bars, d cut ride plate and it will be the best ski you've owned. You could do all of this for around $1500.

I've had my 98sj for 10yrs. It sat under my work branch for 3 years when I was so busy with my young kids. Everyone wanted to buy it but I wouldn't sell it because I knew I'd ride it again. I'm 42 now and ride it alot. I guess what I'm saying in that it's a great ski for young and old.

P's. I grew up riding 550,s. Yeah there light. That's it.............
I currently have my 98sj. 91sj650 for friends to ride and a kaw300 for the kids they all have there spot. Kids will be riding the 650 next year

Pro 3....I used to ride my friends 650sx back in the late 80's and really loved it...would you say my new Superjet feels like a 650 more than a 550 (as far as size and weight). If that's the case I will be thrilled!

i had a 650 sx long ago too. it will feel a lot similar to the sj than a 550 will. the 650 sx would slide a lot and felt more top heavy than a sj. plus your new sj will have gobs more power. once you start with the super jet the possibilities are endless.

Texan33

Yacht Wakes Hunter
Honestly, I believe the FX-1 will be a good choice for you since you love the way how the 550sx rides. I have rode a SXR, SN, RN, FX-1, 650sx, and js440.

Rowley286

Godspeed #40J
I use to ride a 1990 550sx and a 650sx, i hated the 650 and sold it. I eventually sold them both and bought an sxr, i felt the same way you did and right away missed my 550.. my friends thought i was crazy. I just recently bought a superjet and couldn't be happier, i dont think you'll be dissapointed. :biggthumpup:

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
The SJ has a much smaller feel the the SXR. You will like it better than the SXR for the kind of riding you do. The SJ is going to feel like a tank compared to the 550, but it's going to have much much more potential for power, which very much makes up for the weight. The SJ is also a lot more stable than the 550 which will allow you to set up better for jumps and tricks. Look at the aftermarket hulls. Wide and short. The BOB is based off the 300sx I think but everything else is wider than the 550.

The 2008+ SJs had their chines deepened to allow for better handling and cornering. The new models are going to be less loose in the back. I have only ridden on the one time and it didn't slide out in the back like my 2004. It handled ok and with a Jetmaniac BB in it it jumped amazing. The 96-07 skis are going to feel looser than the 08+ skis. The 08+ skis also have built in front sponsons which make it more stable, but you can just add tubbies to the older model superjet.

The 96-07 or 08+ SJ will probably work just fine for you. The 96-07 would save you a lot of money over that 2012 model and would be very loose in the back. If you want loose, you should go with the older model, and put the $5000 you save into big power. Selling the SXR and 2012 SJ would give you enough money to buy a 96-07 SJ, customize it from the ground up and have enough power to make up for any weight.

just kneel in the tray of the SXR. It feels massive to look over. You don't need to ride it to know it's a tank. it's a race boat and not going to get loose like a 550 ever. Kneel in the tray of the SJ. It's going to feel big compared to the 550, but if you think it's going to be manageable, then know that the extra width is more stability and more room for more power.

In the event that the SJ still feels to big, the way to go is a FX1. Look at the videos from Daytona. The guy that rides the Frankenstein ski shreds that thing. If you want little, go with a 550 conversion or a FX1 conversion.

At the end of the day, considering your budget, you best bet is to go with either the SJ or an aftermarket hull. It sounds to me like you might like the looser feel of the older 96-07 SJ and the extra money spent on more power, than the newer SJ with less power.

Remember, It's all about power to weight. The SXR is a fat pig for racing that will never have enough power to justify the weight. The 550 takes too much work to convert and doesn't have enough space for big power. Aftermarket hulls and the SJ are in the sweet spot you are looking for.

Edit: BTW, the SJ is a similar feel in size to the 650sx, but the SJ is much more stable, handles better, corners better, keeps the water out better, has more power upgrades available, a better pump design at the cost of only a few more pounds. The SJ makes up for the few extra pounds (like 10-20) by having a vast selection of aftermarket parts that are lighter than stock and produce much more power. If you like the 650sx, you will love the Superjet, especially considering how many options there are to customize it. I moved my X2 motor to my 650sx last week. I rode the SX and all I thought was that it handled like :):):):) and who designed this :):):):)ty pole and hood? It felt the same in size, but there was no comparison in quality.

However, don't place judgement on the SJ right away. the stock 701 motor isn't a lot to brag about. A pipe, head, prop and intake really wake it up. Some light motor work doesn't hurt either. That's why I said to buy a 2000 model and put the extra $5000 into the motor than the 2012 model more stock.

Last edited:
I truly appreciate all the input and have decided to sell the SXR and get the Superjet serviced so its ready for action! Thanks for the help guys!

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
I wish i knew someone close by that has one...wish even more that I would have had a friend that had a SXR that i could have ridden before I bought it.:rolleyes:

I just looked at your avatar and realized you are in Tampa, FL. You know tons of people around you that have Sueprjets. Click on the riding groups and select the tampa bay area. I just sent you a PM. You can ride my SJ at Lake Seminole this week if you want. It's all stock but you can have an idea of how it is before you start your 2012. You need to PM me ASAP because I'm probably going to trade my SJ on Tom21's SXR this Saturday.

EDIT: PS. I have some bouy's. I'm free wednesday day and evening and thursday day. I'm free today actually until this evening. We will be at the lake Saturday with my Superjet and Tom21s SXR. Bring that SXR you bought and we can ride some, you can try my SJ, and I have some bouy's I can throw out. At least get one ride in with that SXR before you sell it. You've already taken the loss from new to used. I know you don't plan on keeping it, but enjoy it once or twice while you have it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom