2013 SJ Handling...WTF?

SXIPro

JM781 Big Bore
I just got off a 2013 SJ and was completely surprised at how awful it rode. My ski is a 2004, so yes, that is the hull style I am used to. But I thought with the added front sponsons on the 2008+ SJs the newer ones would handle so much better. I could not have been more wrong. This thing is so damn squirrely!!

It's my brothers ski, and he kept telling me how lousy it rode, and I thought it was because he is a Kawi guy and he was so used to the SXs and SXRs. Well I was wrong.

I felt like I had never been on a ski before. Very unpredictable handling. I pretty much hated riding it. Anyone else have the same experience?

It's so strange how everyone has a different opinion. I was extremely impressed with the way the 08 and newer hull handled the first time I rode it. I've also had several customers who purchased new Superjets this year and felt the same way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SkiPro

Trim down for what!?!?!?
lol I hated my 2009 for a while after coming from a 650sx and a 97 Sj..
They chine walk for sure... But man they carve HARD and never slide around..
Once I put a new pole,steering cable,quick steer system, Cut the ride plate flush, Nozzle mod and put foot holds in it its awesome now... Still not as playful as a pre 08..
But its pretty ultimate now.. It spins on a dime and carves like champ.. and after a season on it youll never notice the chine walk..
They don't like to be babied around. RIDE that thing and don't let IT RIDE YOU. The more aggressive you are with it the more youll appreciate it the way it is..

let me guess, you were riding on glassy water? these things have a bad chine walk on glass. I get annoyed when i show up at the lake and the water is perfectly calm. It means my riding experience is gonna blow. They ride like a dream in any chop and hook up on a turn far better than any SJ i've been on.

djkorn1

kidkornfilms
Site Supporter
Those stock 701s have more power than the pre 2008s. Everyone thinks 96-07 RN superjets are fast, but that is because they ALL have bpipes, enhancers, intake grates, aftermarket impellers, Compression, porting.

Stock, SuperJets are dogs.

My buddy hates the 08+ hull, I love it. He is used to the pre 08 hull, I'm used to an SXR. I've heard the pre 08 hulls pop out of the water better, but don't corner as well. If your coming from an SXR the 08 hull is one fun boat (way lighter). You definitely have to keep it around 4500 rpms and up to utilize the power. I think you could drop the pitch down a bit to get a little better low end with the stock exhaust. The main thing for me is it's good on fuel and fun to ride. It's not a bad platform, but either you love it or hate it.

I didn't think about the intake grate. Maybe a Jet Dynamics or Worx intake grate would help on the looseness. I did lose some top end when I went to a top loader, but it was way better in the chop. I'm running the Jet Dynamics and love it , but the motor still labors down low though.

My 2013 rails corners. Handles amazing. Like guys above said it's not a hull you'll enjoy being lazy on you have to slam it and come in fast. The faster the better. Massive improvement over pre 08s all around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have to run a turn plate, wider bars and move/re drill the steer cable mount on the turn nozzle as far inward as possible... it will be a completely different ski... they are unrideable in stock form.

You have to run a turn plate, wider bars and move/re drill the steer cable mount on the turn nozzle as far inward as possible... it will be a completely different ski... they are unrideable in stock form.
Correct.. My neighbor and I both have '12s... His is bone stock.. I have -4 pole, cf short turn plate, 0degree bars, redrilled nozzle.. I can't ride his to save a life even though i bought mine stock and rode it that way for a season.. And the oe turf SUCKS, it should be used as one of them cupboard mats, nothing more..

djraider700

lol wut?
I've done a lot to get my '10 to handle the way I want it to.

IMG_20130820_165044_034.jpg

Had the weird chine walk too. Cut reliefs in the rear bond rail to let water flow freely out the back, helps a lot. I ride mostly surf so I did a lot to make the ski slide easier instead of hook. Got it so it'll slide easy but if I shift my weight right, it will carve hard still.

What others have said is true. The 08+ hulls come to life the more aggressive you are with it. Stock, it would make my knees buckle from carving so hard lol.

Top Bottom