2013 SJ Handling...WTF?

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
lol I hated my 2009 for a while after coming from a 650sx and a 97 Sj..
They chine walk for sure... But man they carve HARD and never slide around..
Once I put a new pole,steering cable,quick steer system, Cut the ride plate flush, Nozzle mod and put foot holds in it its awesome now... Still not as playful as a pre 08..
But its pretty ultimate now.. It spins on a dime and carves like champ.. and after a season on it youll never notice the chine walk..
They don't like to be babied around. RIDE that thing and don't let IT RIDE YOU. The more aggressive you are with it the more youll appreciate it the way it is..
let me guess, you were riding on glassy water? these things have a bad chine walk on glass. I get annoyed when i show up at the lake and the water is perfectly calm. It means my riding experience is gonna blow. They ride like a dream in any chop and hook up on a turn far better than any SJ i've been on.

I'm not convinced they chine walk. I have ridden a few 08+ and the "chine walk" is absolutely horrible just off idle. It get better the faster you go. This is the opposite of what I have experienced with other skis, which are fine at idle and worsen as the speed increases.

I have read about relief cuts in the back bond rail but have not gotten to ride a 08+ with these cuts. I believe this is a good cheap fix, as it doesn't make sense to me that the chine walk worsens as you go slower.

It's important to note that the 08+ has front sponsons *BUT* it *ALSO* has a narrower back end.
This is speculation since I haven't gotten to ride a cut bond rail, but I believe the narrower back end sinks lower, causing the bond rail to pre-load and cause rocking side-to-side as the overload on the rail releases.

djraider700

lol wut?
You're speculation is correct Vumad. From what I've noticed on my ski, the chine walk exists at slow speeds due to the narrow rear end and the bondrail being deeper in the water. When I relief cut the rear bondrail, it solved about 90% of the slow/moderate speed chine walk. The last 10% that was there I barely notice anymore. I don't ride on glass water much though.

SkiPro

Trim down for what!?!?!?
^^ Very true Vumad
I don't notice it anymore really unless im at a constant speed, Like half throttle just trying to cruise and being lazy at the bars, But when you pin it open it planes out and just goes.. And I would too like to try one with the bond rail cut but im too scared to do mine.. I might have to this winter tho.

Vumad, thats exactly what every one of my friends has said. All were skeptical until they took mine out on glass. at low speeds my ski rides fine. above 1/2 throttle the chine walk is pretty severe, mostly because its so unpredictable. However, with even a light wind chop, the uncontrollable feeling goes away and the ski rides like a dream. For me and the 5 or so guys who have tried mine, it is only noticeable on glass. you are more than welcome to come take my ski out if you ever vacation here in colorado :)

I'm not convinced they chine walk. I have ridden a few 08+ and the "chine walk" is absolutely horrible just off idle. It get better the faster you go. This is the opposite of what I have experienced with other skis, which are fine at idle and worsen as the speed increases.

I have read about relief cuts in the back bond rail but have not gotten to ride a 08+ with these cuts. I believe this is a good cheap fix, as it doesn't make sense to me that the chine walk worsens as you go slower.

It's important to note that the 08+ has front sponsons *BUT* it *ALSO* has a narrower back end.
This is speculation since I haven't gotten to ride a cut bond rail, but I believe the narrower back end sinks lower, causing the bond rail to pre-load and cause rocking side-to-side as the overload on the rail releases.
To me this is exactly what it feels like.. The bond rail catching water... I know i brought it up in that other thread about it being worse when it's calm(wetdreams mentioned it here).. Loaded rail make sense, if it's choppy you ride highs and lows.. Loads up on the top of the wave, unloads at the bottom of the wave... Also I've noticed it feels as if it's caused by drag on one side or the other, say the left side catches, it feels like the whole ski wants to turn left as if someone grabbed the left side then let go... I agree with vumad completely on this... And i will be cutting the rail this winter.. Just call it the 08 wobble...

You're speculation is correct Vumad. From what I've noticed on my ski, the chine walk exists at slow speeds due to the narrow rear end and the bondrail being deeper in the water. When I relief cut the rear bondrail, it solved about 90% of the slow/moderate speed chine walk. The last 10% that was there I barely notice anymore. I don't ride on glass water much though.
Wish I had known that 5 years ago! Did the steering cable mod, tried diff. ride plates and grates. That low speed wobble on glass was only curable for me if i got the nose up by stepping to the rear of the tray- sold it!

I did the full blowsion steering system on my 14 after riding a buddies sxr and I love it now my superjet corners way better then the sxr!

Vumad, thats exactly what every one of my friends has said. All were skeptical until they took mine out on glass. at low speeds my ski rides fine. above 1/2 throttle the chine walk is pretty severe, mostly because its so unpredictable. However, with even a light wind chop, the uncontrollable feeling goes away and the ski rides like a dream. For me and the 5 or so guys who have tried mine, it is only noticeable on glass. you are more than welcome to come take my ski out if you ever vacation here in colorado :)
Is still owe you a tank of gas! Took his 14 out in our buoy corse and didn't want to bring it back, the newer hulls I thought were amazing thru out, yes they chime a bit on glass if your not ready for it but took me 2 laps to get that to go away and I suck, simple intake and plate i think would help that, I was supprised on how similar the sj was to a sxr, I think stock vs stock the sj is a far better boat, I want one

Maybe it's me but I have never really noticed the chine walk people complain about. I did buy handling mods for mine right after I bought it though. I love my 2010 sj for sure.

Top Bottom