Super Jet 2013 yamaha superjet steering

Hi all; new to the forum, have searched a lot on the above topic but still unsure on how to quicken up the steering and get it to spin a little easier;
1) if I tap the outside hole on the stock steering plate and do the nozzle mod, will I need to get a pre-08 steering cable?
2) If I got a different steering plate (umi?) would I need to swap out the cable as well?

Sorry folks, slightly confused, any/all help would be appreciated, cheers...

Hi all; new to the forum, have searched a lot on the above topic but still unsure on how to quicken up the steering and get it to spin a little easier;
1) if I tap the outside hole on the stock steering plate and do the nozzle mod, will I need to get a pre-08 steering cable?
2) If I got a different steering plate (umi?) would I need to swap out the cable as well?

Sorry folks, slightly confused, any/all help would be appreciated, cheers...
if you drill and tap the hole on the steering plate only it will make the steering a little quicker and not break your cable but you need to notch you pole pad in one spot to clear the cable. Any aftermarket steering plate you will need a new cable unless you put your cable on the inner whole which will not make your steering any better than what you have.the problem with the cables with the aftermarket steering plates are the cable bottoms out before the plate hits the stops which causes them to break. There is a guy on here named Schmity that sells a new cable and mount that bolts right up and gives your steering a lot more throw. I honestly like the steering on my 13 it turnes on a dime you just have to lean it over and carve the hell out of it. If your trying to steer flat then yes it doesn't turn as well as the pre 08

Thanks man, appreciate the feedback! I love the way it carves as well but would also like to flat spin a little easier too; I tapped the outside hole and see what you mean about notching the chin pad; thinking about doing the nozzle mod and cutting the ride plate flush with the hull, but maybe that would be too much? It's 'shoulder season' here right now and looking to keep busy, plus I like hanging out in the garage drinking beer, cheers all!

Thanks man, appreciate the feedback! I love the way it carves as well but would also like to flat spin a little easier too; I tapped the outside hole and see what you mean about notching the chin pad; thinking about doing the nozzle mod and cutting the ride plate flush with the hull, but maybe that would be too much? It's 'shoulder season' here right now and looking to keep busy, plus I like hanging out in the garage drinking beer, cheers all!
If you do the nozzel mod you will risk breaking you cable and to spin if you turn all the way but dont lean into the turn let off the throttle a little then punch it it will spin out

Thanks guys! I'll check out Schmitty's stuff for sure, I've heard of guys cutting the ride plate back a few inches as well, what do you figure on that one?

Thanks guys! I'll check out Schmitty's stuff for sure, I've heard of guys cutting the ride plate back a few inches as well, what do you figure on that one?
Depends on your weight and size i went with the worx its a little longer im 6'4" and 215 so it works great for me if i stand towards the back i can still get the nose plenty high enought for wave riding

SkiPro

Trim down for what!?!?!?
Haha! I took a hacksaw to the rideplate on my 09. lolol then filed down the edges...It helps a lil..nothing to write home about though... But it makes it a little "looser" feeling. Still rails like no ones business. But ya I just cut it flush with the hull. And I used a hacksaw cause that was all I had at the time :)

Last edited:
Hmm, might have to give that one some thought, I like that 'loose' feeling... Some buddies and I are just getting back into stand-ups after a long break; my buddy raced them (still does) and I learned how to ride on his new 550s in the late 80s/early 90s (I know, I'm old!)pretty addictive stuff between riding and looking at ways to improve the ski, thanks for all the advice and all the great info on this site! Cheers

I cut mine flush and added a 2 inch D-cut to it on my '13. Definitely helped make the ski react much quicker, nose stabs are way easier and the ski turns sharper. With the full length plate it was almost impossible to get the ski to slide at all. With the flush D-cut plate I can actually make it slide, still difficult but possible.

Bringing this back, is this still made or can anyone who has the mode elaborate on what it does? I broke my steering because it bottoms out when turning left before I get to the actual stop in the turnplate

If I weld extra threads in therefore making the rod longer will this help?

Top Bottom