3DR hood --Update...

D Slicker

Durham, dont forget it
So I went on vacation this week, On my second day out (Sunday) the waves were nice so feeling my balls grow bigger I decided to work on my BR's. First worked on my set-up with some nice stabs then I went for it…. Got ½ to ¾ away around and BAM. My ski was upside down so I flipped it over and Ta Da….. 3 cracks on my 2 week old FREERIDE ready hood…. By the way was going back to them after this week for an exchange because it fit like ******** but sealed. I called them 3 times while on vacation and received an email from them today 6 days after my first call. I will refrain from any bad mouthing until I work the rest of the details out with them. I will just say that they are back pedaling on what I was told. A "Freeride ready" hood should be able to take a couple of wrecks not just one IMO.

Here are the picks http://www.x-h2o.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=253&pos=0

Last edited:
D Slicker 3dr hood problems

Hey D Slicker,Sorry to here about bad product.If you can post the weight of the hood ,price and materials used to construct I would like to know.I built malone's world finals composite components of the complete ski for 2005.The completed hood weighed 4.5lbs. A week of practice and the finals the hood never even stress cracked. And he was pulling huge tricks which means stress and fatique.I love to ride and now I'm starting to develope again parts for the 800 sxr.It will take time I work full time in development of full scale composite aircraft,and own Trinity Composites which is working with a national pro trials bike rider Chris Florin a good friend. Chris is sponsored by gas gas. His gas tank, air box,fenders and other small parts are made of various composites drastically reducing weight for competition.Soon I will have a site to view future products for the 800 sxr ,sponsons,rideplate,nose cover,hood and handpole.Then a upper and lower deck to complete a freeride ski to sell to the public. A product that will take a rider to the next level and be reliable.Spread the word. Good luck w/the hood.

Marshj

DarkHorse
Hey D Slicker,Sorry to here about bad product.If you can post the weight of the hood ,price and materials used to construct I would like to know.I built malone's world finals composite components of the complete ski for 2005.The completed hood weighed 4.5lbs. A week of practice and the finals the hood never even stress cracked. And he was pulling huge tricks which means stress and fatique.I love to ride and now I'm starting to develope again parts for the 800 sxr.It will take time I work full time in development of full scale composite aircraft,and own Trinity Composites which is working with a national pro trials bike rider Chris Florin a good friend. Chris is sponsored by gas gas. His gas tank, air box,fenders and other small parts are made of various composites drastically reducing weight for competition.Soon I will have a site to view future products for the 800 sxr ,sponsons,rideplate,nose cover,hood and handpole.Then a upper and lower deck to complete a freeride ski to sell to the public. A product that will take a rider to the next level and be reliable.Spread the word. Good luck w/the hood.

:biggthumpup: :bigeyes: i thinkyou just did:arms:

D Slicker

Durham, dont forget it

It was made from regular glass and weighted 6 lb's, I paid 495 for it. I asked specificly if it would hold up and was told yes. We need more people making Quality parts for the Kawi guys.

waterfreak

I had a vision!
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
It was made from regular glass and weighted 6 lb's, I paid 495 for it. I asked specificly if it would hold up and was told yes. We need more people making Quality parts for the Kawi guys.

6 lbs is exceptionally light for a glass hood. I know my hoods weigh around 11 lbs and can take quite a punishment (just ask Pete!:biggrin: )

I'm sure a pro rider like malone always lands his BR's , but a rider just beginning to learn BR's will land on the side very often before coming around.

Unfortunetly, the market for freestyle products for the sxr is very small :frown:

D Slicker

Durham, dont forget it
6 lbs is exceptionally light for a glass hood. I know my hoods weigh around 11 lbs and can take quite a punishment (just ask Pete!:biggrin: )

I'm sure a pro rider like malone always lands his BR's , but a rider just beginning to learn BR's will land on the side very often before coming around.

Unfortunetly, the market for freestyle products for the sxr is very small :frown:

I was concerned about that being just glass also. But was told not to worry. I have ridden pete's ski. :Banane01: nice. Will you be making anything for the SX-R soon...:scratchchin:

D Slicker

Durham, dont forget it
I just got off the phone with Keith from 3DR and they are sending back my money due to the hood not being right. I didnt have to fight with them at all. They offered it right up. That is what I call customer service. If anyone need a light duty race hood 3DR make a very Light one.

Y

yamaslut

that looks like a race hood... aren't they suppose to be fragile????

that looks like a race hood... aren't they suppose to be fragile????

Even a race hood should take a good beating.Also they should never be fragile. The 3dr hood might be made of polyester resin and e-glass maybe s-glass which is more expensive either way that would make it fragile.That also reflects in the price of the hood 500.00 that is a good price if holds together.In all fairness and respect to 3dr most people don't know how hard it is to get good raw material i.e. carbon, pure kevlar and cabon kevlar hybrids.It's almost impossible for small companies to get goods. Good epoxy that I use are 80 to 100 dollars a gallon. Carbon and kevlar have almost doubled in price in the last 3 or 4 years. Its going to Airbus which used 700,000 metric tons of carbon last year,Boeing,General Dynamics,McDonald Douglas and many more big players.And the carbon mills can't keep up they are increasing production.By 2008 I've been told they will increase production by 30%.But the demand will also continue to increase as technology does.Sorry for boring people but I love composites.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
Even a race hood should take a good beating.Also they should never be fragile. The 3dr hood might be made of polyester resin and e-glass maybe s-glass which is more expensive either way that would make it fragile.That also reflects in the price of the hood 500.00 that is a good price if holds together.In all fairness and respect to 3dr most people don't know how hard it is to get good raw material i.e. carbon, pure kevlar and cabon kevlar hybrids.It's almost impossible for small companies to get goods. Good epoxy that I use are 80 to 100 dollars a gallon. Carbon and kevlar have almost doubled in price in the last 3 or 4 years. Its going to Airbus which used 700,000 metric tons of carbon last year,Boeing,General Dynamics,McDonald Douglas and many more big players.And the carbon mills can't keep up they are increasing production.By 2008 I've been told they will increase production by 30%.But the demand will also continue to increase as technology does.Sorry for boring people but I love composites.

Fallen asleep at any resturants lately!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Top Bottom