4 stroke vs 2 stroke KTM

Murdock

'03 SJ
I am in the market for a new bike and really like the ktm's. I currently ride a '02 cr250 2 stroke and have really enjoyed it. Does anyone have experience w/ ktm either 300xc 2 stroke or 350/450 four stroke? I like the idea of the 350 4 stroke, but the 300 2 stroke is legendary. Thoughts and input are appreciated.

D-Roc

I forgot!
A buddy showed up to my track with the 300 and man is that a nice bike. I did not ask to try it because it was starting to rain pretty good. But man is that a nice bike. Way quieter than the thumpers too.

About 2 yrs ago i went from a cr250 to a ktm 525sx ,also have a ktm 450sx, we are very happy with them,loving the 4 stroke, and been rock solid reliable so far...the non linkage rear susp takes a little bit to get used to and works better the harder you push it im my opinion. servicing them is pretty much the same as the jap stuff once you learn all the little differences of ktm.

Last edited:
Two years ago I bought my first ktm 300exc and loved it. It was the best bike I have ever rode. I decided to sell my kx 125, cr250 and banshee. Now I own a 97 ktm 300 exc and a 07 300 xc. And i don't have any plans of going back to anything else.

shawn_NJ

Chasing waves.
Got to checkout the 4stroke 2012 350exc street legal at the place we ride. If the economy wasnt in the crapper I would have one right now. Amazing bike.

Schmidty721

someone turf my rails
what kind of riding do you do? I never understood who people like the KTM's so much... at least the pre-linkage bikes.

I just sold my 09 yz250f with a 290cc kit on it. Best all around bike i've ever ridden. Great in the woods and trails and IMO best combination available for a MX track.

i'VE had all the 2 strokes and my buddies ride the KTM 525. I bought an Aprilia 450 and smoked them all. I was upshifting up hills where they were down shifting. 450 and 550 are banned from AMA competition in stock form. Whats that tell you

Murdock

'03 SJ
I ride mostly trails and thats where ktm's seem to dominate. Plus I like the fact that they come w electric start. Spend any amount of time trying to kick a bike at elevation, when you have been riding for a while, and you begin to really appreciate elec. start. I just keep going back between the 350 xcf-w and the 300 xc-w. Has anyone had long term use/experience w ktm fuel injection?

I went from the same bike (02 cr250) to a 2012 crf450 and love the thing. If your gonna buy another 2 stroke id probably go with the ktm but if not look into the crf its a real nice bike. Ktms really dont get the best reviews and were the last with fuel injection and linkage but its still a good bike. I kept my 2 stroke just in case i get the itch to ride it.

ive ridden the ktm 300 and it had big bore low end power a little more than my yz250. the problem is the ktm is a hard bike to get use too if your on a japan made bike currently. also the big bummer with the 300 is the wide ratio trans if you ride tracks....you will always feel like you cant use the perfect gear. if your riding trails or dezert get the 300 especially if its really tight trails you will like the nimbleness and power and you will never overheat it like a 450 on the 1st gear enduro stuff.

Motocross action did a sx250 with a 300 cylinder on it. That would be the best way to get a 300 setup for mx. But if you dont ride track then the 300 xc might fit you better.

Just sold my 2011 300XC, was a fast light, and just great handling bike. My new2012 500EXC needs alot more money thrown at it to get the suspension up to par, 300 wasnt as mushy for sure, I only went back to four strokes because the 500 got such great reviews, and its going to be a faster bike when I am done but it will cost me about $3000 more to get it there.

Last edited:
I am in the market for a new bike and really like the ktm's. I currently ride a '02 cr250 2 stroke and have really enjoyed it. Does anyone have experience w/ ktm either 300xc 2 stroke or 350/450 four stroke? I like the idea of the 350 4 stroke, but the 300 2 stroke is legendary. Thoughts and input are appreciated.

i mainly ride hill-climbs / desert /dunes i absoutly love my cr500s but our buddy has the KTM 300 and its a amazing maching keeps up with my 500s . just my opinon

I've owned a 2007 KTM 250SX - much better suspension and motor than the CR250, nice that you can tune the motor by ignition setting and power valve spring.
Later I had a 2009 KTM 450SX - awesome very easy bike to ride, very poweful and controllable motor, feels heavy but has elec start which is wonderful
Now I've got a 2012 KTM 150SX - best bike I've ever owned, more powerful than a 250F, ultra light weight, good suspension. Not the most powerful bike on the track...just the most fun :)
I have tried a KTM 300 and found it too had too much of a trail bike power delivery for MX use, likewise the KTM 350SXF had slightly more power than the KTM 250SXF but felt like it weighed the same as my 450SXF.
Really depends what type of riding you do - for trails buy the KTM 300 - it is the classic trail bike. For MX If you like your CR250 then buy a KTM 250SX. If you want a 4 stroke then go for the 450SX, and if you can get your hands on one then go for the Dungey replica it is excellent it feels much smaller and lighter than the current 450SXF and it turns really well

i'VE had all the 2 strokes and my buddies ride the KTM 525. I bought an Aprilia 450 and smoked them all. I was upshifting up hills where they were down shifting. 450 and 550 are banned from AMA competition in stock form. Whats that tell you

it tells you that you aren't allowed to race a twin against a thumper. get off aprilia's nuts.

i've had 3 ktm 450's. sx, xc, and xc-f. right now i'm riding a 2008 250sx with a 300 sx hardparts cylinder. with the power curve on it rapes my buddies 09 crf450 and my other buddies 09 kxf450 in straight line. i weigh about 100lbs more then the guy on the kx and 70 more then guy on the crf. down side is it vibrates a little bit and can be a handful. upside is the handling. crazy how easy it is to square off corners and keep the momentum.

two stoke wears me out in about 4-5 laps on my track. the 450's i have i could get about double that. i'm faster on the two stroke. it's just a lot of work to keep going fast. when i get a new bike it'll be the new 450. if they ever come out with a DI 250 i'll be all over that bikes nuts.

it tells you that you aren't allowed to race a twin against a thumper. get off aprilia's nuts.

What it shows is that the "establishment" does'nt like innovative competition, and money talks. BMW and Porsche petitioning against team Corvette, H-D have the Govt. impose a tariff on Jap bikes over 700cc in the late '70's, etc. Get off KTM's nutz. They build a good bike and are fortunate to have survived the Jap onslaught of the '80s, unlike Maico and the rest. Peak power and power delivery are superior on the Aprillia and thats that. Good thing GP racing did'nt think like others. They gave us the sqaure 4 from Suzuki, the Kenny Roberts triple and many other innovations. Platform should not be an issue or a fear in competition. Who takes the chance and rolls the dice should be rewarded, not penalized. Let's just stick with singles cause they are the norm and "safe". Lets all got back to Kawi 400's while we are at it.

if you're going to make an argument make sure your facts are straight. kenny roberts rode a tz750 which is an inline, aircooled 4 cylinder two stroke. you think ktm is the only bike i own? it just happens to be my preference. the aprilia might make it in the outdoor series, but supercross or arenacross it would never survive. it's just too heavy. not to mention the first 2 years of that bike had serious bearing failures.

rules take time to change. look at the leeway 4 strokes had when they first started. and still have for that matter over two strokes.

anyways, for fun 2 stroke gets my vote, for serious racing it's gotta be a 4 :(

Top Bottom