300/440/550 440 or 550???

A buddy of mine is giving me my choice between a 440 hull and a 550 hull that he has sitting in his garage for my birthday. The 440 is older than the 550. The 440 comes with the paperwork and what not but the 550 does not. Both are in decent condition. My plan is to clean it up real nice and put all new parts in it with either a nice clean 550 motor or a 650. Going to paint it all retro too with neon colors and what not.

My question is, which one should I take?? the 440 or the 550

How difficult would it be to take the 440 and put 650 parts in it. What could I do with the exhaust (i hate the nose donkey d*** looking thing)

This will be my first time taking a hull and building it up so any info would be great. Also, if anybody has any aftermarket parts or what not for these that they would like to sell/donate, that would be amazing and I would be grateful.

Thank you ahead of time and I look forward to getting this project on the road.

What year are the skis? There are a couple changes here and there but nothing major. How difficult it is to obtain a title in Michigan for watercraft? Which hull is cleaner? In 90', rear exhaust was introduced but either way, all 440/550 parts will bolt in to both hulls.

the 440 is an 83 and the 550 is a 90...the 550 is the better condition hull but I am just worried about the fact it doesn't have a title. I am not sure how difficult it would be to get a title for it as I have never done so.

will a 550 pump just bolt right into the 440 hull? or will modifications need to be done? any modifications to get a 650 motor into the 440 hull? that i guess is what I am asking. will everything from a 550/650 bolt right into the 440 without modifcations? or no?

screaming440

The Old Skool Professor
yes the 440 pump is way better.

two things though the 440 driveline will crack the bulkhead if you dont use a brace. so check the bulkhead around the driveshaft bearing housing.

also the older 440 pumps dont have a stainless sleave. and 83 should but check it cuz the all aluminum pumps are worthless.

if you plan to go with a bigger engine, definitely go with the 550 for several reasons.. it is a sx so it has the better driveshaft and the 550 pump.. the rear exhaust will be a little quieter.. the 440 and 550 pumps are the same size however the 440 is an axial flow pump where the 550 pump is mixed flow.. the axial pump uses less load to process the water. it is a better flowing design and allows the engine to run higher rpms with more impeller pitch.. the center section of the 550 pump is larger but the impeller size is the same.. the pump shoe of the 550 pump is tapered where the 440 is straight.. the 550 pump will be better for low end with a larger engine because it produces more load on the engine.. a higher revving engine and a shorter pipe are best for the 440 pump..

Its not hard to title ski's in MI with no title. The Sec. of state has a bill of sale form that you fill out online. Get the VIN, MC #, & the last year it was registered if those stickers are still on it. Go to the branch. They will do a title search to make sure its not stolen. If its good, they will issue you a title for it right there, give you your new registration and off you go.

the 550 is an sx. first year of rear exhaust, upgraded drive shaft design, redesigned tray area, but the last year of the piston port 550 motor. you cant put a 440 pump in this hull and you dont want a 440 pump anyway. actually the 90 550s screamed pretty good. just take the 550 , get it going, ride it and then get rid of it if you decide to upgrade. it aint worth the total hassle to convert it to anything but what it started out as.

the 550 is an sx. first year of rear exhaust, upgraded drive shaft design, redesigned tray area, but the last year of the piston port 550 motor. you cant put a 440 pump in this hull and you dont want a 440 pump anyway. actually the 90 550s screamed pretty good. just take the 550 , get it going, ride it and then get rid of it if you decide to upgrade. it aint worth the total hassle to convert it to anything but what it started out as.

Yea, don't sink money into 550's, I learned that the hard way.

440 pump is better but ive heard you need an aftermarket bulkhead if you go 650 or bigger. 550 pump will bolt right up but you will have to install 550 driveshaft.

few thing my 87 550 has a rear exhaust that someone did kind cool so u could turn the 440 into back exhaust 2nd if u need a drive shaft i have one CHEEP and i have some pumps for both CHEEP
also if u dont want to eat the 440 exhaustget a longer pipe thing that comes out and go in to the watter thats what i did in my 440/550 conv

Top Bottom