300/440/550 550 conversion

FreestyleFreak

Region 7 AM Freestyle
Ok so i picked up a 550 hull and gion to do a 650 conversion.Could someone give me tips on it?Which e-box should i run 650 or 550?

Mark Gomez

is where the surf is
are you pooping money buddy? Put it into your superjet! unless everything is as close to free as you can get then go for it but Focus buddy :twak:

FreestyleFreak

Region 7 AM Freestyle
are you pooping money buddy? Put it into your superjet! unless everything is as close to free as you can get then go for it but Focus buddy :twak:

haha trust me my main focus is competing and my sj this year.I got the hull and some misc parts for free and i love 550's and my mom wants a ski to ride so i thought i would peace it together over TIME.This is def. a side side project.

75monza

440 -> 650 convert
I used a 440 for my 650 conversion. If the attachment works, this helped me a lot. The diagram is not 100% correct, If I remember correctly you have to switch the black/yellow wire off of the 650 stator with the black/red. The person who made the picture did that part wrong.

Attachments

• jetski conversion.pdf
    42.7 KB · Views: 129

Laserman

World's Fastest TYPHOON
Why didn't you ask ME? I know you have seen my conversion build threads!

I have one that goes from bare hull to full conversion. I also have the story of Smiley, who ended up being a conversion ski. I'd post the links but PWCTODAY is dog slow right now. Just do a search under my username in the build section. There are pictures and wiring diagrams, everything you need.

You gotta build a conversion ski - they are the best!

***** watch that JETCRAFT Engineering wiring - it looks like they got the red\black and yellow\black wires switched. Compare it against the stock wiring diagram and you will see what I mean.

Last edited:
I have a 440 ski with a 650 conversion westcoast exhaust set up 44 bn mik
runs great ,, threads on pwc .. here is te OLD school article from jetcraft .. I dont beleive all of it ( they claim over 59 mph with a 750 conv. !!!) but its a interesting read ,, I am running the orig electronics with the 650 reg .. no rev limiter this way .. I also have a freind runing complete 650 electronics with his cdi siliconed inside the 440 e box .. see the pdf file for info and electrical options :)

Attachments

• Jetcraft Page 1.jpg
    Jetcraft Page 1.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 175
  • Jetcraft Page 2.jpg
    Jetcraft Page 2.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 155
  • JETCRAFT Instructions.pdf
    42.7 KB · Views: 384
  • DSCF0039.jpg
    DSCF0039.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:

professor961

Selling all X2 and 650 parts - message me!
There are lots of build threads on conversion ski's. I have that very issue of Personal Watercraft Illustrated that did the story about Jetcraft Engineering. I'd suggest anyone doing a conversion build to search the existing threads before asking about issues already tackled.
The main issues are the driveshaft bulkhead in a 440 pump / 650 conversion, and exhaust system clearance issues. The electrical is a myriad of options, but the best seems to be the 650 stator and 550 electrical box. If I do another conversion, I am going to try the stock 650 engine with stock exhaust, and see how smooth and reliable I can get with it.

Prof

I have a few things saved on my computer from when I was looking into the 650 conversion for my old ski. These are the general electrical diagrams that I scrounged up on PWCToday. I can't vouch for them being correct because I never used them. They show how to hook the 650 regulator up into the 550 electrical box.

You will also need the conversion plate for the engine bed plate in order to bolt the 650 motor up to the hull. The one I posted a pic of is one that was selling on eBay a while ago.

Attachments

• Electricalbox4.jpg
    Electricalbox4.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 96
  • Electricalbox3.jpg
    Electricalbox3.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 111
  • Electricalbox2.jpg
    Electricalbox2.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 96
  • Electricalbox1.jpg
    Electricalbox1.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 106
  • fba7_1.jpg
    fba7_1.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 101
im using the 550 box, just keep in mind if you go with this theres no rev limiter.
im currently running the stock pipe and i love the ski.
i like it better then the superjet

professor961

Selling all X2 and 650 parts - message me!
Here are pics of my conversion ski taken today. Original build was in 1992, and this is the second engine in the ski. I elected to go full 86 X2 ignition on the ski, and built my own electrical installation. Best thing I did this time around was modify the exhaust manifold for better clearance with the hull.

Prof

Attachments

• Conversion Ski 7-12-08 001.jpg
    Conversion Ski 7-12-08 001.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 85
  • Conversion Ski 7-12-08 006.jpg
    Conversion Ski 7-12-08 006.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 85
  • Conversion Ski 7-12-08 002.jpg
    Conversion Ski 7-12-08 002.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 133
  • Conversion Ski 7-12-08 005.jpg