300/440/550 550 reed Westcoast Cylinder Exhange?? Help Indentify?

cabatema

Man up and Stand up!!
I just came across a very unique cylinder exchange. I think it might be a west coast aftermarket cylinder. I was wondering if any one could confirm or deny this. It looks like it has 750 reeds and the cylinder at a stock 550 bore. I found a catalog of westcoast making a aftermarket cylinder starting at $1800 but I'm not sure which manufacture made this because I see no stampings. It is your traditional west coast blue with a matching westcoast exhaust manifold which leads me to believe it is a west coast but I'm not sure. Any of you old timers see any of these??
0424130858.jpg0424130858a.jpg0424130858b.jpg0424130858c.jpg

cabatema

Man up and Stand up!!
Are they pretty common or hard to come by? Performance increases over stock? oh and yeah the ski was definitally sunk, but its never been bored, so a little tlc and hone/or bore and she'll be up and running again. Thanks for the input!

RKO Motorsports

Formerly 97gsxguy
Looks like the early 550 reed motor from westcoast before kawi released their own. Looks to have the bridged exhaust port as well. Yes those are 750 reeds. I have one as well. Good power especially for a 550. Good luck finding sleeves if it needs them, took me over 6 months to find some. If the pistons are still good I'd be interested in those. As far as price as it sits maybe $150 for everything. I saw one in mint condition with new pistons go for $250. Still a cool part. Here's mine:

asyma9ud.jpg

Last edited:

cabatema

Man up and Stand up!!
Thanks RKO. Good Info! - two81's - Kinda, its an aftermarket cylinder exchange that is a reed motor that would bolt to a stock case. So rather than having ports that the piston blocks off to exchange charged air to the combustion camber, reeds (valves) in the intake close and allow now more charged air threw larger ports into the combustion camber. Besides moving more air/fuel its way more reliable. I believe you can bolt this westcoast cyl. exchange onto any 440/550 case although I'm not 100% sure of the applications. And according to RKO this was before kawi's reed 550 which was '91 I believe, which I thought was pretty cool. I've seen lots of westcoast pieces; pipes, heads, manifolds but I never new they did a whole package.

Top Bottom