Super Jet 550 waterbox in an sn sj?

SkiDiggity

formerly kawirider142
So i am once again out a waterbox because the stock SN ones blow. I have a buddy with an aluminum 550 waterbox he will give me for free. Will this work in a SN?

Don't know if anyone has tried this or if it would even work so thoughts are welcome.

Thanks,
Shane

i wouldnt, you will deff get some restriction. more importantly why do you keep blowing up stock sn boxes? you have another problem that is causing this.

SkiDiggity

formerly kawirider142
Well the first one had a hole rubbed in it from having the pad slip out from underneath it and the second one was leaking when i got it (i was told it was perfectly fine...) and now it is to the point where it is just leaking water out of all the rivets and exhaust so i am not going to use it any more. I mean i can ride the ski with it but it's getting worse and worse each time i go out.

I also ride surf and i am thinking the boxes are just taking a beating from hard landings and what not.

Thanks for the info!!! just going to have to suck it up spend some cash and get a RN one or an X-metal

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
It works, a buddy of mine ran one in a SN with a ported 701. Some a/m 550 box.
BUT.....it was loud and annoying as hell. It was TERRIBLE. Not even a good kind of loud. More like a nitro RC helicopter, just noisier and more annoying.
He was a good decoy to have around while we were screwing around. We could do whatever we wanted, cops would just focus in on him like a lazer beam.

SkiDiggity

formerly kawirider142
It works, a buddy of mine ran one in a SN with a ported 701. Some a/m 550 box.
BUT.....it was loud and annoying as hell. It was TERRIBLE. Not even a good kind of loud. More like a nitro RC helicopter, just noisier and more annoying.
He was a good decoy to have around while we were screwing around. We could do whatever we wanted, cops would just focus in on him like a lazer beam.

Ahahahaha too funny!! yeah not looking for crazy loud, i draw enough attention doing flat water stuff when you aren't supposed to as is. if i was i would just go with the TDR Silencer tube for 80 bucks. Crazy loud but cheap. haha SO 550 box is out of the question.. THANKS!!!

Last edited:

iangdesign

Cats, lots of cats!
Can you reseal the 2nd one? A buddy of mine blew out his fx1 box with an engine backfire...so he opened it up took out all the baffles and then resealed it. It has a nice tone to it now.

i have a tdr silencer tube with water injection. built to rn hose dia.
in the water it was not loud at all with the water going in right at the exit.
but dry land it was real loud. scares my dog and he doesnt mind shooting lol

SkiDiggity

formerly kawirider142
The hole wasn't bad, i guess i could have patched it... if my parents didn't THROW IT AWAY!! :17: I am just over dealing with the stock ones and would like a metal one. My other ski has a Factory Waterbox in it and it sounds great! would love to find one that is not over priced

Matt_E

Site Supporter
You could try finding an OEM Roundnose box. Metal and pretty quiet. Downside is the price and availability. Not that easy to find and over $100 used.

SkiDiggity

formerly kawirider142
^^ Yeah i am finding that out sadly i had one from Zack Bright a long time ago not thinking i would need it i sold it for 70 cause i did not know how much they actually go for. I am hoping to find a used x-metal for like 150 or something. Will the x-metal fit in the sn?

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
Is there any benefit of taking the baffles out of the box and re sealing it? Or do you want the back pressure?

/threadjack

Matt_E

Site Supporter
You'll lose the ability of the waterbox to prevent water from sloshing back into the engine and reduce sound level. Not sure I'd call that a benefit, though.

Last edited:

SkiDiggity

formerly kawirider142
pulled the old one out and all the rivets are leaking and the seal around the inlet is shot you can see where all the exhaust was leaking out.. and i was wonderin why i had so much water in the bottom every time i pulled the hood hahaha. Thanks again Prosouth for hooking me up!!!

Top Bottom