$60 Hitch Hauler

I know I'm not the first to do it and I also know some guys will say they would never risk putting their ski on some cheap Chinese made hitch hauler, but for $60 it works pretty good. Good enough for my beater SN :) Just had to add some 2x6's and carpet I had around the shop and now I don't have to drag out the trailer everytime I want to hit the reservoir.

ehy3a4u3.jpg
nu2y8are.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was one on sale at princess auto for $40 last week with a capacity of 500lbs. I was tempted to get it but not sure if I trust my skis life on something made in China

HAHA, I've been cruising around for the last 3 days looking for potholes and railroad tracks and so far so good. No bending or sagging. Probably wouldn't risk it with a more valuable ski :)

I bought one from harbor freight last season to use with my SN. By the end of my season the bolts and anything that was scratched started to rust pretty bad, so I pulled the bunks off it and sold it. I am sold on using a hauler, but not that one, hoping to get a rad dudes hauler soon.

CRJ

Hibernating
i saw the ones at princess auto for sale but i dont trust under 3/16 tube to hole a 300lbs ski worth a few grand, especially not china steel. ill be building my own from atleast 1/8" wall, probably 1/4" wall and 3/16 angle, almost the same as the ones on here. its great to haul one ski.

CRJ

Hibernating
if you can remember back in 2008 the "cash for clunkers" all of those cars that were turned in for the rebates were all shipped off to china to help pay for our massive debt to them..

CRJ

Hibernating
cant say ive ever heard that. unless they did so after local scrap yards destroyed the engines. in the steel world, they would have melted down and used up most of that steel in a matter of days, mixing it in with their junk blends.

the hauler in the first pic looks really clean haha.. the guy that sold my ski to me gave me his hitch hauler.. the center of the basket area over time rusted and finally broke so i dont trust it enough to use it anymore.. im going to get another one.. i think the walmart hauler will be fine as long as you weld up all of the joints where bolts are used and give it a good thick paint coating that wont come off in water..

3/16th tube to hold a ski is overkill. Not a bad thing at all. But remember that cages that save lives in rollovers are .125 wall. What matters is the design.

A huge amount of steel is imported. I have a very hard time finding any us steel in bulk in my area. It's all imported from overseas at all the big suppliers here. That's how it goes usually. Fora hitch hauler, Chinese, Japanese, dirty knees, it won't really matter so long it's made right.

Top Bottom